Mark Sanford goes missing
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:19:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mark Sanford goes missing
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Author Topic: Mark Sanford goes missing  (Read 15430 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 24, 2009, 03:30:44 PM »

Are you kidding... He might not have been an evangelical? Half of his opening remarks were about faith and the lords laws, blah blah blah. Even if he didn't run on family values per se, he certainly was Jesusing it up today.

Then that means he's just a phoney. He never really focused on that stuff before.

I don't think any politician in South Carolina, much more a Republican, can go very far without pandering the James Dobson crowd.

That doesn't prove anything.

How in any way was Sanford an evangelical?

I'll say again that Sanford was known as a more libertarian Republican (he didn't emphasis social issues), not an evangelical type politician.

He wanted to have the (national) reputation of being focused on economic issues, but you better believe he ran on the typical Jesus Platform back in South Carolina.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
lol

Even if Mark Sanford didn't campaign on Jesus stuff it doesn't void his hypocripsy.
Sanford libertarian? His voting record says differently: http://www.ontheissues.org/Mark_Sanford.htm
I'm sick and tired of Republicans thinking they can get away with labeling anybody libertarian.

I didn't say he's not a hypocrite.  What I'm saying is that he focused more on fiscal issues than social issues.  And since when did libertarianism become about abortion and gay marriage?

Bingo

Also, Mechaman, you posted one quote from him about faith. I can find quotes from liberal Democrats about faith.

He wasn't focused on a "Jesus Platform" as Governor or even as a candidate.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #126 on: June 24, 2009, 03:34:18 PM »

This is quite funny.

Another one bites the dust.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #127 on: June 24, 2009, 03:35:23 PM »

Yep.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #128 on: June 24, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »

Are you kidding... He might not have been an evangelical? Half of his opening remarks were about faith and the lords laws, blah blah blah. Even if he didn't run on family values per se, he certainly was Jesusing it up today.

Then that means he's just a phoney. He never really focused on that stuff before.

I don't think any politician in South Carolina, much more a Republican, can go very far without pandering the James Dobson crowd.

That doesn't prove anything.

How in any way was Sanford an evangelical?

I'll say again that Sanford was known as a more libertarian Republican (he didn't emphasis social issues), not an evangelical type politician.

He wanted to have the (national) reputation of being focused on economic issues, but you better believe he ran on the typical Jesus Platform back in South Carolina.

lol

Even if Mark Sanford didn't campaign on Jesus stuff it doesn't void his hypocripsy.
Sanford libertarian? His voting record says differently: http://www.ontheissues.org/Mark_Sanford.htm
I'm sick and tired of Republicans thinking they can get away with labeling anybody libertarian.

I didn't say he's not a hypocrite.  What I'm saying is that he focused more on fiscal issues than social issues.  And since when did libertarianism become about abortion and gay marriage?

Bingo

Also, Mechaman, you posted one quote from him about faith. I can find quotes from liberal Democrats about faith.

He wasn't focused on a "Jesus Platform" as Governor or even as a candidate.

Okay Keystone Phil, give me a quote from a liberal Democrat about living out his faith in his daily life and then having an affair. If you find me one who said something like Sanford said and who also had an affair, give me their name and I'll write hypocrite next to it.

And Vanderblubb, when the hell did libertarianism become what Republicans say it is?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #129 on: June 24, 2009, 03:38:49 PM »

Sanford should resign or be impeached because he lied and had total disregard for his duties as Governor.

This
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: June 24, 2009, 03:41:48 PM »

Okay Keystone Phil, give me a quote from a liberal Democrat about living out his faith in his daily life and then having an affair. If you find me one who said something like Sanford said and who also had an affair, give me their name and I'll write hypocrite next to it.

Clinton never said anything about faith in his life? John Edwards? Come on, dude.

Sanford is a phoney because he's suddenly playing the faith card. He wasn't known for emphasizing it before. That's all I'm saying.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #131 on: June 24, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »

Clinton never said anything about faith in his life? John Edwards? Come on, dude.

Sanford is a phoney because he's suddenly playing the faith card. He wasn't known for emphasizing it before. That's all I'm saying.

Clinton (hypocrite) John Edwards (hypocrite)

I will admit Sanford doesn't seem like the kind to campaign on social issues, but I think any Christian or anybody who claims that cheating on your wife is wrong or follows that philosophy and then cheats on their wife, is a hypocrite. If an atheist politician did it, I wouldn't say anything. But these guys supposedly believe that it's immoral to cheat on their wives but they did anyway, therefore they're hypocrites even if they differ politically.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #132 on: June 24, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »

Source?

memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: June 24, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »

I completely don't understand all the fascination with random politicians' sexual exploits. Especially considering how many times we've played this game in the last decade. Outside of his family, who gives a crap?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #134 on: June 24, 2009, 04:02:25 PM »

If an atheist politician did it, I wouldn't say anything. But these guys supposedly believe that it's immoral to cheat on their wives but they did anyway, therefore they're hypocrites even if they differ politically.

Uh, just for the record, atheists can think that adultery is immoral.

Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2009, 04:08:13 PM »

If an atheist politician did it, I wouldn't say anything. But these guys supposedly believe that it's immoral to cheat on their wives but they did anyway, therefore they're hypocrites even if they differ politically.

As an atheist ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: June 24, 2009, 04:10:28 PM »

I will admit Sanford doesn't seem like the kind to campaign on social issues, but I think any Christian or anybody who claims that cheating on your wife is wrong or follows that philosophy and then cheats on their wife, is a hypocrite. If an atheist politician did it, I wouldn't say anything. But these guys supposedly believe that it's immoral to cheat on their wives but they did anyway, therefore they're hypocrites even if they differ politically.

So, a Christian who sins is a hypocrite?  Catholics have a sacrament called "confession"...are all Catholics hypocrites?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #137 on: June 24, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »

So, a Christian who sins is a hypocrite?

Please don't even try to engage someone on this. I tried earlier.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #138 on: June 24, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »

But they don't have an invisible daddy to ask forgiveness from!

Oh hell, there goes my atheist bias.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #139 on: June 24, 2009, 04:42:10 PM »

s off for days to Argentina without telling anyone to  some tramp.

Love it. My hero.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: June 24, 2009, 04:44:12 PM »

s off for days to Argentina without telling anyone to  some tramp.

...during Father's Day.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #141 on: June 24, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »

To be fair, Argentina is known for beautiful women.
Iosif

Political Matrix
E: -1.68, S: -3.65

« Reply #142 on: June 24, 2009, 05:09:38 PM »

The balls. It's just so brazen.

What a guy. I think I'm in love.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #143 on: June 24, 2009, 05:18:35 PM »

But they don't have an invisible daddy to ask forgiveness from!

Close.  They (we) have a friend, advocate and mediator who has said -- "if we confess our sins, God is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness".

The problem is not with the idea of forgiveness and confession.  It's with the idea advanced by some that certain sinners are more "forgiven" than others. 

I speak, of course, of those of us who live and move in a Christian milieu.  I recognize my Atheist and many of my non-Christian friends approach issues of guilt and sin quite differently and I respect their right to do so.
Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #144 on: June 24, 2009, 05:59:01 PM »

His old quotes may come back to haunt him.

“The issue of lying is probably the biggest harm, if you will, to the system of Democratic government, representatives government, because it undermines trust,” he told CNN. “And if you undermine trust in our system, you undermine everything.

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2009, 06:22:09 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2009, 06:24:36 PM by ilikeverin »

From http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/24/AR2009062403062_2.html?sid=ST2009062403065

Overall decent prose, though the "hey, that's getting into sexual details" obviously completely breaks the mood.  Uses most "SAT-level-words" appropriately though his "digression" isn't really a digression, per se; a couple typos but since the medium is email those can be excused somewhat.  However, he does a good job of trodding over familiar ground ("You're hot, girl.") while still avoiding some of the worst cliches, and making sure to compliment her personality as much as her looks (and her looks without being crass or juvenile).

Full story: http://www.thestate.com/sanford/story/839350.html

Too lazy to critique it all atm, but goodness it gets a bit worse when read verbatim rather than just extracts.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2009, 06:24:12 PM »

Releasing personal e-mails is quite unnecessary.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2009, 06:26:14 PM »

From http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/24/AR2009062403062_2.html?sid=ST2009062403065

Overall decent prose, though the "hey, that's getting into sexual details" obviously completely breaks the mood.  Uses most "SAT-level-words" appropriately though his "digression" isn't really a digression, per se; a couple typos but since the medium is email those can be excused somewhat.  However, he does a good job of trodding over familiar ground ("You're hot, girl.") while still avoiding some of the worst cliches, and making sure to compliment her personality as much as her looks (and her looks without being crass or juvenile).

Full story: http://www.thestate.com/sanford/story/839350.html

Too lazy to critique it all atm.

Too bad hes a a slimy cheat. He sounds kinda sweet hah.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2009, 06:29:03 PM »

hot
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2009, 06:47:33 PM »

This has been known around here for 5 months. His wife has been living in Sullivan's Island with the kids and he's been in Columbia. They hardly see each other.

In fact, it has been reported that the local media had this story but kept it on ice since last year. It was Sanford's own stupidity that forced it out.

Who goes to Argentina on Father's Day weekend and doesn't tell his kids or wife? Doesn't call? He didn't know that anyone would notice? I rarely care about extramarital affairs, because I think most politicians do it, but he was a complete fool for doing what he did this past weekend. All he had to do was fly her into Columbia. It's almost like he wanted to be caught.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies