Canadian federal polling division files
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:30:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 167811 times)
adma
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: August 23, 2010, 06:49:21 PM »

Liberal vote in Ottawa-Orleans is apparently largely Francophone now, but from working on this map I've noticed that newer developments (the south-east in Avalon etc, south of Innes Road in Chapel Hill South, some parts of Beacon Hill-South/Cardinal Heights) are more Liberal than average, which is kind of weird. Maybe the new people there are government employees or something, because high-growth suburbia tends to vote Tory in the 905. Tory areas seem to have older houses, are more Anglo etc.

Re the 905--not necessarily.  For instance, in the Brampton ridings, the highest-growth places tend to be Liberal, while Tory support is most solid in the older nabes and pre-1980 suburbia of Old Brampton and Bramalea.  (Ethnoburbanism plays a part.)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #701 on: August 23, 2010, 06:51:08 PM »

I'm not an expert on Canadian politics. When is Harper going to call an election?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #702 on: August 23, 2010, 07:03:33 PM »

Re the 905--not necessarily.  For instance, in the Brampton ridings, the highest-growth places tend to be Liberal, while Tory support is most solid in the older nabes and pre-1980 suburbia of Old Brampton and Bramalea.  (Ethnoburbanism plays a part.)

Presumably there's also a relationship between house prices/tenure patterns (mortgages and own-outright) and voting patterns in those areas?
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #703 on: August 23, 2010, 08:06:42 PM »

Liberal vote in Ottawa-Orleans is apparently largely Francophone now, but from working on this map I've noticed that newer developments (the south-east in Avalon etc, south of Innes Road in Chapel Hill South, some parts of Beacon Hill-South/Cardinal Heights) are more Liberal than average, which is kind of weird. Maybe the new people there are government employees or something, because high-growth suburbia tends to vote Tory in the 905. Tory areas seem to have older houses, are more Anglo etc.

Sorry. I meant white high-growth exurbia, mainly.

I'm not an expert on Canadian politics. When is Harper going to call an election?

While I'd prefer mindless election talk and the usual off-topic lurker comment to stay out of this thread, not until polling for one party gets really, really strong.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #704 on: August 23, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »

Updated Southeast Quebec map.

Question: Why the random Bloc win in Saint-Antoine-de-Tilly (Lotbiniere-Chutes-de-la-Chaudiere)?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #705 on: August 23, 2010, 09:47:59 PM »

Updated Southeast Quebec map.

Question: Why the random Bloc win in Saint-Antoine-de-Tilly (Lotbiniere-Chutes-de-la-Chaudiere)?

It didn't take me long to find out the answer is the most obvious one, the BQ candidate lives there.  Tongue http://www.punditsguide.ca/riding/?riding=1014
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #706 on: August 24, 2010, 09:06:09 AM »

B.C. also has this info available for its 2009 provincial election, for anyone who's interested. (Unfortunately I don't really have the time at the moment to get started on a project like this myself).

http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/voting/electoral-maps-profiles/gis-data-files-2008/

http://www.elections.bc.ca/index.php/resource-centre/reports/2009-ge-results/
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #707 on: August 26, 2010, 12:25:51 PM »

Updated Southern Quebec map with Montreal suburbs.

Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #708 on: September 27, 2010, 04:31:43 PM »

Do you know what's up in Madawaska? I can understand why Acadians here would be more conservative than on the coast because they don't live off EI during the fishery off-season, but why the sharp divide within the region?

(sorry for the bump)

That question interested me so I investigated it at the uni library, where I found an old 80s book on NB elections. While it doesn't describe the Madawaska panhandle in detail, for the county as a whole it does write that while it is the most French Catholic area of NB, the inhabitants are largely of Quebecois/French-Canadian rather than Acadian stock; furthermore an individualist/slightly anti-government ("Republic of Madawaska") type of feeling like in Beace is big here unlike in the other French Acadian counties.

Apparently, Madawaska Acadians are more working-class and live in rural areas away from the American border, which lets me assume that the panhandle is Quebecois Beauce-type conservative and individualist. Though it also mentions that Edmunston is a Tory stronghold, which might be true provincially but doesn't seem to be true federally at least in 2008.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #709 on: December 04, 2010, 11:21:34 PM »

Giga-bump, sorry.

Since there was an by-election recently in Kamouraska-Témiscouata, I decided to do a precinct map of the 2008 election in Kamouraska-Témiscouata. Not very interesting, but could be interesting once (if?) the DGEQ publish detailed results of the special election.

Liberals are red, PQ blue, ADQ green. Atlas Key.

Two of the ADQ precincts are in Saint-Alexandre-de-Kamouraska. The other one is in Cabano, the city from where the ADQ was. (Since then, Cabano and Notre-Dame-du-Lac merged.)

The darker PQ precinct is in Auclair. According to Census, that is a village with a very high unemployment rate, 100% of French people and half the population didn't finished high school. They also have 40 maple products producers and a "economuseum" which sells alcoholic beverages based on maple syrup. The lighter one in Saint-Juste-du-Lac. Same characteristics than in Auclair. Economy in those both town is based on maple and forestry. Both place are very poor, mean income in those towns is around 65% of the Quebec mean income.

We can also see than Liberal support is higher in cities than rural areas, that is normal and widespread in all Quebec. The inverse applies to BQ, too.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #710 on: April 18, 2011, 03:00:09 AM »

Figured the thread should probably actually be bumped, in light of the present election campaign.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #711 on: April 18, 2011, 07:54:44 PM »

Here's the Winnipeg North by-election.

The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #712 on: April 18, 2011, 08:31:57 PM »

Hey folks...don't know if this is old news or not, but I just noticed this today. Federal polling division boundaries are finally available to us peons through GeoGratis, if you have a GIS program. They go back to 2000.

http://geogratis.cgdi.gc.ca/geogratis/en/option/select.do?id=1169

Have at it everyone!

the506... you "officially" Rock Smiley
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #713 on: April 19, 2011, 07:33:52 AM »

Anyone care to do the Vaughan by-election?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #714 on: May 06, 2011, 03:58:12 PM »

Anyone care to do the Vaughan by-election?

That is not possible, 54 new polling sections (from 199 to 253) were created between 2008 election and the by-election and I don't have the new map.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies