Canadian federal polling division files
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:25:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian federal polling division files
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29
Author Topic: Canadian federal polling division files  (Read 167684 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2009, 05:05:35 PM »

Hard to believe the NDP only holds two of those seats.

My uncle lives in the west end of Dartmouth. (which appears to be hardcore NDP on this map) I wonder if he is a supporter. I'm actually going to stay at his place for the NDP convention in 2 weeks, so maybe I will find out.

Talking of that, is the name change debate is a joke? That is really happening?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #251 on: August 05, 2009, 05:10:53 PM »

My uncle lives in the west end of Dartmouth. (which appears to be hardcore NDP on this map) I wonder if he is a supporter. I'm actually going to stay at his place for the NDP convention in 2 weeks, so maybe I will find out.

Wait, I saw a cartoon about that in the Metro today, but no news story. It left me interested, I will have to read up on that. With out any knowledge, I'd have to say some riding association has probably proposed it, and the media found it.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #252 on: August 05, 2009, 05:14:25 PM »

Ahh neat: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/08/04/ndp-name-change233.html

I guess I have to decide on whether or not I will support this. Hmmm....
I always though that sometime in the distant future, the Greens and the Bloc would merge with us, and that "Democratic Party" would be our new name. If we change now, we would lose that bargaining chip.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #253 on: August 05, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »

Wait, I saw a cartoon about that in the Metro today, but no news story. It left me interested, I will have to read up on that. With out any knowledge, I'd have to say some riding association has probably proposed it, and the media found it.

French news were talking of the Windsor West MP and CBC, too.
Jimross187
« Reply #254 on: August 05, 2009, 06:16:52 PM »

I have a couple of multi riding requests:

Scarborough

Niagara

I will buy anyone a drink next time they are in Ottawa for taking a crack at these.

Thx,

Jim Ross
http://twitter.com/JimRoss187
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #255 on: August 05, 2009, 08:11:39 PM »

I have a couple of multi riding requests:

Scarborough

Niagara

I will buy anyone a drink next time they are in Ottawa for taking a crack at these.

Thx,

Jim Ross
http://twitter.com/JimRoss187

Ooh. Another Ottawan. We're beginning to take over this board!
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #256 on: August 05, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »

If changing your name to Democratic Party loses you a bargaining chip to the Bloc, then you are playing "penny ante poker".

But seriously, it is an interesting issue. But remember to heed the extemporaneous advice of the great Arthur Meighen on the importance of names:

"...And as usual he feels that he has clinched his argument when he denominates us Tories. That appellation ends the discussion in the mind of the hon. member. I never put much store by names; I put far more store by deeds and records, and I would rather belong to a party under any name on earth, a party that stands to its principles through storm and through sunshine, through adversity and through prosperity, in power and out of power, and that applies those principles in progressive legislation to meet the needs of the hour as the hours advance, than belong to a party which, though called in honour of the angels of heaven, cannot describe its principles for the life of it, can only sermonize in language of evasion and of mystery, and cannot adhere to any policy for a single session or even from week to week."
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #257 on: August 05, 2009, 08:42:39 PM »

That former borough is the last place God made. Why would anyone be interested in it? Even when it had competitive elections and interesting MPs (that was both a long time ago), I was bored with the place.
the506
Canada

« Reply #258 on: August 06, 2009, 10:51:22 AM »

Brampton:

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #259 on: August 06, 2009, 11:21:16 AM »

Thanks for Halifax!

I oppose that name change idea. "Democratic Party" sounds dull and MOR. Tongue

That northern Brampton riding seems to have an odd population distribution... what's that about (I don't know anything about the area).
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #260 on: August 06, 2009, 01:14:42 PM »

Brampton has quite a large number of South Asians as does Malton. West Brampton riding has what might be considered "old Brampton" which voted rather Conservative on this map. The Brampton-Malton riding has a bit of a contest between a traditonally Conservative section of Brampton and arch-Liberal Malton.  For history buffs, Malton was an employment centre for the aricraft industry when the Diefenbaker Government cancelled the Avro-Areo. It voted heavily Liberal in the next election, tipping the balance in 1962 and has voted Liberal more or less since.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #261 on: August 06, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »

Why not just go up the alphabet and rename the party the ODP (for Old) New Democrats.

Actually it is an interesting issue as the Party is better known by its acronym than the full name.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #262 on: August 06, 2009, 01:21:55 PM »

All the map-makers need to be thanked and so I offer it for the excellent Brampton map!
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #263 on: August 06, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »

That northern Brampton riding seems to have an odd population distribution... what's that about (I don't know anything about the area).

The unpopulated area in the south of the riding is Pearson International Airport (i.e. the main Toronto airport). Malton is the separate town on the non-Brampton side of the airport; it now has a large South Asian population.

I'm trying to figure out QuantumGIS, though there may be no point with others able to make maps so quickly and so well. I can look at a whole poll-by-poll map of the whole country, but no poll numbers or riding boundaries. Any tips?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #264 on: August 06, 2009, 04:54:44 PM »

The unpopulated area in the south of the riding is Pearson International Airport (i.e. the main Toronto airport). Malton is the separate town on the non-Brampton side of the airport; it now has a large South Asian population.

I'm trying to figure out QuantumGIS, though there may be no point with others able to make maps so quickly and so well. I can look at a whole poll-by-poll map of the whole country, but no poll numbers or riding boundaries. Any tips?

Riding boundaries are in another file. Poll numbers are available through a ''Identify'' function or something with a name like that.

Is Bramalea is on the Brampton map?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #265 on: August 06, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »

Riding boundaries are in another file. Poll numbers are available through a ''Identify'' function or something with a name like that.

Is Bramalea is on the Brampton map?

Bramalea is the Liberal area on the north part of the map, I believe.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #266 on: August 06, 2009, 06:46:58 PM »

As a novice in knowledge of Canadian Politics can someone explain why Ottawa (or at least its suburbs) and Quebec City have such a strong conservative vote.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #267 on: August 06, 2009, 06:54:07 PM »

As a novice in knowledge of Canadian Politics can someone explain why Ottawa (or at least its suburbs) and Quebec City have such a strong conservative vote.

"Bourgeois cities in voting Conservative shock" or something like that. Though it's more complicated as both were traditionally Liberal and class politics has never played that well in eastern Canada. Think high-tech stuff had something to do with the switch in Ottawa.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #268 on: August 06, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »

"Bourgeois cities in voting Conservative shock" or something like that. Though it's more complicated as both were traditionally Liberal and class politics has never played that well in eastern Canada. Think high-tech stuff had something to do with the switch in Ottawa.

Usually Civil Servants and government workers vote for parties that support enlarging the role of government/ public sector unions - at least from my experience (though I'm guessing Civil Servants are mostly concentrated in the City Centres and make up large parts of the Liberal/Bloc Vote). Though obviously I don't really know much of the details exactly that are specific to Ottawa/QC.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #269 on: August 06, 2009, 07:23:35 PM »
« Edited: August 06, 2009, 07:26:21 PM by Independência ou Morte! »

Western Ottawa is Anglophone, wealthy suburbia. Orleans is 32% French, but most Francophones in Orleans vote Liberal. They've been historically Conservative, but they massively switched to the Liberals in 1988 and remained so until the end of the Chretien era.

I'd like to see maps of Nepean-Carleton and Carleton – Mississippi Mills, both of which are part of the City of Ottawa but include large swaths of rural land. Of course, Glengarry-Prescott-Russell.

Usually Civil Servants and government workers vote for parties that support enlarging the role of government/ public sector unions - at least from my experience (though I'm guessing Civil Servants are mostly concentrated in the City Centres and make up large parts of the Liberal/Bloc Vote). Though obviously I don't really know much of the details exactly that are specific to Ottawa/QC.

I'm pretty sure the federal civil servants did not vote Conservative in 2008, given how Harper pretty much hates them all. I think the map of Hull-Aylmer pretty much serves as proof.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #270 on: August 06, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »

...and note that the cores of these cities, the places where the aforementioned live, don't vote Tory.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #271 on: August 06, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »

Thanks a lot, I've got it to work now. But man - colouring in all those boxes manually is a pain in the neck. I think I'll leave this to those who know their codes and such, unless I go though any periods of major procrastination need in the next little while. Sad

Indeed. I'm doing maps only because I am so bored now. Probably try Glengarry-Prescott-Russell tonight, that is the next one on my list.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #272 on: August 07, 2009, 09:52:34 AM »

...and note that the cores of these cities, the places where the aforementioned live, don't vote Tory.

Thus the comment in bold. Tongue
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #273 on: August 07, 2009, 10:13:26 AM »

Thus the comment in bold. Tongue

One Fourty AM though
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2009, 10:49:29 AM »

I think civil servants are well-distributed around Ottawa - Ottawa-Vanier has the most apparently but there is no concentration.

I don't see civil servants voting en bloc for any party, though perhaps on the Quebec side they may do more so for the Liberals as opposed to the Bloc Quebecois.

Remember that civil servants are employees - so they look on the federal government as both a provider of policies and employment. The Conservatives are pretty similar to the Liberals as employers...I might even give them an edge as the Liberals under Chretien froze pay for 5 long years from 1993-1998.

The Liberals are also greater sinners as far as patronage appointments are concerned. The Conservatives have made far fewer patronage appointments than the Liberals who were notorious under Chretien and Martin both. They also stopped the practice of allowing their ministerial staffers to float into the civil service after a number of years of service on a preferred basis.

The other side of the coin is that some civil servants are probably used to working for a Liberal government and tend to adopt the Liberal world view, perhaps especially in more senior ranks.

In any event, in Ottawa generally in 2008, there was no trend either way, while the rest of Ontario was swinging Conservative - a suggestion that civil servants may have been less enthusiastic. But the city ridings voted Conservative overall by a pretty good margin.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 29  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies