The Next Right and the New Left: Dialectics for the free man (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:00:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Political Essays & Deliberation (Moderator: Torie)
  The Next Right and the New Left: Dialectics for the free man (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Next Right and the New Left: Dialectics for the free man  (Read 10612 times)
Guderian

« on: March 30, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »

The country has been moving right on economic and social issues since the 1960s. I don't think that is disputable.

The country has been moving right on social issues only if by "country" you really meant "Iran". If you meant "United States", it's just not true. Abortion on demand, flag burning, sodomy, affirmative action are all recognized constitutional rights in 2010 that were partly or completely unthinkable in 1960. This is without even mentioning statutory slide to the left like gay marriage in many states and same-sex unions in others.

Only big social issues where there has been very little success in insuring significant liberalization over last 50 years are death penalty (well, that was unconstitutional too, but for like 10 minutes) and drug enforcement policy.
Guderian

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:49:33 AM »

Well for the record, I oppose affirmative action, support abortion on demand, support death penalty and sodomy as long as I'm not the passive side of either action, oppose flag burning and support drug enforcement in most cases, and I'm agnostic on gay marriage. I don't find any need to cover my social views under a coherent philosophy and prefer to view these issues on seperate basis.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies