Retrospective approval rating (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:56:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Retrospective approval rating (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: All things considered do you approve or disapprove how these Presidents performed in office?
Truman-Approve

Truman-Disapprove

Eisenhower-Approve

Eisenhower-Disapprove

Kennedy-Approve

Kennedy-Disapprove

Johnson-Approve

Johnson-Disapprove

Nixon-Approve

Nixon-Disapprove

Ford-Approve

Ford-Disapprove

Carter-Approve

Carter-Disapprove

Reagan Approve

Reagan-Disapprove

Bush 41-Approve

Bush 41-Disapprove

Clinton-Approve

Clinton-Disapprove

Bush 43-Approve

Bush 43-Disapprove

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Retrospective approval rating  (Read 8207 times)
CJK
United States

« on: June 30, 2009, 07:05:49 PM »

All things considered do you approve or disapprove how these Presidents performed in office?
CJK
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 05:33:39 PM »

I'm surprised that Kennedy has such high approvals. If he was president today I think most liberals would be appalled.
CJK
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 07:40:12 PM »

How so?  Moving the highest marginal tax rate down from 90%?  I don't think that there's anyone (outside of people like opebo) who would support return to Eisenhower-era tax rates.

You'd be shocked. Most liberals think you can tax as much as you want without harming the economy. Witness the Krugman nostalgia for 1970s tax rates.

His actions during the Cuban Missile Crisis?  Hardly controversial by any standards.

The Castro-apologists would whine that he opposed a heroic, nationalist leader of the masses who was only attempting to liberate his people from U.S. imperialism.

Championing (though he died before it could pass) Civil Rights reform?  Excellent measure, and hardly controversial on the left.

Liberals on this board are already complaining that Obama won't support gay rights enough. Could you imagine them watching Kennedy basically urging reformers to slow down on desegregation?

Sending "advisors" to Vietnam/assassinating Diem?  Considering how few people knew about either (the war there didn't gain a significant American presence until '65) I can't see how it would "shock" many people.  Besides, initially, there wasn't anything wrong with holding to the Kennan Doctrine and supporting the South Vietnamese regime.  It's true that Kennedy's final actions there, signing off on Diem's murder to put a more America-friendly puppet, was reprehensible, but Diem was a real piece of work, anyways, and the images of self-immolating Buddhist monks were seriously detrimental to American commitment in Vietnam.

Liberals pretty much oppose anything associated with the Vietnam war. Besides, didn't Kennedy say that we would "pay any price, support any friend, oppose any foe in order to ensure the survival and success in liberty"? Could you imagine any Liberal accepting that "neocon" position today?
CJK
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 07:56:40 PM »

CJK, you really need to re-define your terms. I am a Leftist, and a liberal; I find the Vietnam War, started under the false pretense of the Gulf of Tonkin incident, abhorrent; I oppose all U.S. military intervention around the world, and I support gay rights and the right of self-ownership for women -- and I'm also (significantly) further to your right on economics, I oppose bans on guns and other weaponry, I oppose school uniforms and public smoking bans, and I detest Affirmative Action.

Until you can stop pigeon-holing your opponents, you will inevitably lose.

I said "most" liberals think high taxes are great. You basically agree with my last three points, though. I'm not sure how you know where I stand on economics.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies