Retrospective approval rating (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:32:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Retrospective approval rating (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: All things considered do you approve or disapprove how these Presidents performed in office?
Truman-Approve

Truman-Disapprove

Eisenhower-Approve

Eisenhower-Disapprove

Kennedy-Approve

Kennedy-Disapprove

Johnson-Approve

Johnson-Disapprove

Nixon-Approve

Nixon-Disapprove

Ford-Approve

Ford-Disapprove

Carter-Approve

Carter-Disapprove

Reagan Approve

Reagan-Disapprove

Bush 41-Approve

Bush 41-Disapprove

Clinton-Approve

Clinton-Disapprove

Bush 43-Approve

Bush 43-Disapprove

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Retrospective approval rating  (Read 8174 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: June 30, 2009, 10:53:08 PM »

Truman: Disapprove
Eisenhower: Approve
Kennedy: Disapprove
Johnson: Disapprove
Nixon: Disapprove
Ford: Approve
Carter: Disapprove
Reagan: Approve
Bush 41: Approve
Clinton: Approve
Bush 43: Disapprove
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:30:27 PM »

Disapprove of all of them. Sic Semper Tyrannis.

I'm surprised you didn't approve of Reagan.

This is the second thing I've seen in the past 20 seconds that proves the LP will never be a serious, mainstream party. Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 05:23:27 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol

I can't imagine what it's like to be that ignorant.

What's wrong with people not being coerced into giving away over a third of their income?

Oh you libertarians are so adorable.

One day, when you get in touch with reality instead of being stuck in your utopian dreams, you'll realize that the roads you drive on are *gasp* built by the government with those tax dollars. You'll realize that the education you got so you can read was *gasp* paid for by the government with those tax dollars. Shockingly, it turns out that those guys who put out forest fires are *gasp* paid for and employed by the government. Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 05:25:26 PM »

SPC has openly called for privatizing all those services. He also supports allowing "competing currencies".

How cute. You know what, I want a pet libertarian this Christmas.

Braces for the inevitable SPC rant
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 05:28:44 PM »

lol

What's wrong with people not being coerced into giving away over a third of their income?

One day, when you get in touch with reality instead of being stuck in your utopian dreams, you'll realize that the roads you drive on are *gasp* built by the government with those tax dollars. You'll realize that the education you got so you can read was *gasp* paid for by the government with those tax dollars. Shockingly, it turns out that those guys who put out forest fires are *gasp* paid for and employed by the government. Tongue

And if I were not forced to pay taxes, I could pay for roads, education, and fire protection on the market for a cheaper and higher quality service.

Because our roads are so bad. Roll Eyes I don't want to pay a fee to a corporation to use the roads, nor have the poor be unprotected from fires or barred from a decent education.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 05:29:17 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 05:32:57 PM by Midwest Lt. Governor Vepres »

SPC has openly called for privatizing all those services. He also supports allowing "competing currencies".

How cute. You know what, I want a pet libertarian this Christmas.

You haven't bothered to offer a refutation, all you've offered are ad hominem attacks.

I was just teasing, hence the Tongue at the end (of the first one).

I'll offer my refutation, but first, a question. What makes a private company inherently better at building and maintaining roads than the government? Or providing fire protection? Or ensuring every American has an education?

The government is doing pretty well in these three areas (even education, which is one of the top 5 best in the world according to studies not sponsored by the US government).
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »
« Edited: July 04, 2009, 05:48:32 PM by Midwest Lt. Governor Vepres »

lol

And if I were not forced to pay taxes, I could pay for roads, education, and fire protection on the market for a cheaper and higher quality service.

Because our roads are so bad. Roll Eyes I don't want to pay a fee to a corporation to use the roads, nor have the poor be unprotected from fires or barred from a decent education.

I suppose that all of those potholes are a sign of good roads? You already pay a "fee" to use the roads through taxes, privatization would just allow you to pay for the roads directly, and since there would be competition, you would be paying less for higher quality roads. This would allow the poor to use the roads, although they might have to use them less often, thus reducing traffic.

Again, without a government monopoly, there would be competition in the fire protection sector, so it would be cheaper and higher quality. I doubt many of the people whose homes burned down in the California wildfires think that fire protection was good enough for them.

And, have you been to a public school in a poor neighborhood lately? I doubt anyone would describe it as "decent".

I'll repost some edits I made:

I'll offer my refutation, but first, a question. What makes a private company inherently better at building and maintaining roads than the government? Or providing fire protection? Or ensuring every American has an education?

The government is doing pretty well in these three areas (even education, which is one of the top 5 best in the world according to studies not sponsored by the US government).

As to your arguments:

I suppose that all of those potholes are a sign of good roads? You already pay a "fee" to use the roads through taxes, privatization would just allow you to pay for the roads directly, and since there would be competition, you would be paying less for higher quality roads. This would allow the poor to use the roads, although they might have to use them less often, thus reducing traffic.

Perhaps it's a Colorado thing, but we have great roads.

Okay, so you pay for roads, what about the poor who cannot afford to pay for these roads?

And what competition? How could two road companies compete? In all likelyhood they make agreements with each other to make a quasi-monopoly. Besides, you don't choose what roads you drive on based on quality, but on what gets you to where you're going faster.  

Hmmmm... Again how could fire companies compete? Would they simply refuse to protect those who didn't pay for their service?

The majority of public schools are fine. I concede inter city schools are bad, but how could the poor afford any halfway decent private school? Subsidies, seems pretty anti-libertarian to me.

I reiterate, in these cases, what makes private business inherently better? And who's to say they don't become quasi-monopolies like the current healthcare industry?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »

Specifically concerning roads.....how, may I ask, are corporations supposed to compete? If there's only a limited amount of space, how do you expect 2 or more sets of roads to be built?

We do live in 3 dimensions. You could build a road next to another road, above another road, below another road, or on a completely different path. Plus, it's possible for companies or people to rent and buy roads from other companies or people.

That is impractical, a waste of natural resources, and destructive to the environment.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 02:15:08 PM »

Specifically concerning roads.....how, may I ask, are corporations supposed to compete? If there's only a limited amount of space, how do you expect 2 or more sets of roads to be built?

We do live in 3 dimensions. You could build a road next to another road, above another road, below another road, or on a completely different path. Plus, it's possible for companies or people to rent and buy roads from other companies or people.

That is impractical, a waste of natural resources, and destructive to the environment.

Actually, since people would have to pay directly for driving on roads and how many miles they drive, it would discourage driving more than necessary, and thus help the environment.

But you've contradicted yourself. If people chose to drive less, and get from one place to another as quickly as possible, they'd simply pick the road that gets them there in the shortest amount of time, not the road made by the best company.

It's not very practical to build a road next to, above, or under another. Why have 3 roads going on a similar path to same place when you can have one that can handle the amount of traffic that passes through it.

It seems to be a mountain west thing, but our roads are maintained very well, even in big cities such as Denver, and don't really leave anything to be desired.

The problem SPC, is that you support the privatization of roads for purely ideological reasons (or so it would seem based on your arguments), even though there really isn't any compelling reason to change the current system.

I generally support smaller government because government usually causes problems and is inefficient, like Medicare and Medicaid for example. However, one must realize that the government monopolizing roads in no way affects the quality of our road system. One could point to pot holes, or cracks that need repairing, but the thing is, Mayors usually win or lose elections based on things like this. If the streets are falling apart, the Mayor won't win reelection, plain and simple.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 11:11:48 PM »

You could just as easily ask 'Why have 3 soda companies selling similar flavors and when you can have one that handles that amount of customers desiring it?'. But, of course, competition keeps the companies providing the services in a constant battle to improve quality, increase convenience, and lower prices. Such incentive is not provided in a monopoly.

You buy sodas at a store. A road is quite different. You would be forced to use the road of a company that got you to where you wanted to go, not necessarily the cheapest or highest quality one, thus eliminating a lot of the competition. It's not practical to build 3 roads that connect the exact same places.

Besides, there is always the risk of a business not letting you use the road for some arbitrary reason (which they could legally do, at least a libertarian like yourself would probably do), and thus you have to take either a much longer route, or you cannot get to your destination.

Using a semi-private road to go from my house to the airport is one thing. To have to pay tolls to use the road if I want to go to the nearby Safeway is a totally different thing. And what of the poor, who are essentially not taxed, how would they pay to use these roads? One could argue the fees would be small, but it would surely add up.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 04:52:35 PM »

You could just as easily ask 'Why have 3 soda companies selling similar flavors and when you can have one that handles that amount of customers desiring it?'. But, of course, competition keeps the companies providing the services in a constant battle to improve quality, increase convenience, and lower prices. Such incentive is not provided in a monopoly.

You buy sodas at a store. A road is quite different. You would be forced to use the road of a company that got you to where you wanted to go, not necessarily the cheapest or highest quality one, thus eliminating a lot of the competition. It's not practical to build 3 roads that connect the exact same places.

What's impractical of building roads with similar destinations? Don't they have that already to a certain extent in the government road system?

Roads are very resource intensive. Imagine if we had three prominent road companies. Now you have to triple the amount of physical space and resources used.

While a business would have the freedom to not let you use their road, such a decision would be very unwise. Unless you were a safety hazard, I doubt business would turn down money like that.
[/quote]

True. Then again, since when were business leaders wise. Wink

Gasoline and other taxes also add up over a period of time. The difference is that with private roads, you could always choose a cheaper competitor if you don't like the price of the tolls.
[/quote]

You still don't have a solution for the very poor. If somebody currently barely has enough money to afford an old car and gasoline, how do you expect them to pay tolls every day?

What if an entire region is controlled by one business. If one company controlled the vast majority of the roads in Phoenix for example, they could artificially raise prices. I believe this is a very likely scenario.

Finally, besides the occasional beat up road in a big city or traffic, the current road system leaves little to be desired? And even if these problems warranted a change in the whole system of building and maintaining roads, how would private companies remedy the traffic problem? They would build bigger roads, destroying the environment and using up resources. At least the government can build public transit, particularly light rail and subway systems, which are the real solution. It would be in the road companies' interest to prevent public transportation, bike paths, and the like, which isn't in the best interests of the commuter nor the environment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies