Recommended legislature
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:23:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Recommended legislature
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recommended legislature  (Read 2216 times)
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 07, 2004, 10:06:01 PM »

As the definitions of the English words "Billion" and "Trillion" vary across the globe, I suggest that the President introduce a bill to the Senate to define these terms, so we all have a common frame of reference.  They should be defined as such:

One Billion = One Thousand Million.
One Trillion = One Million Million.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 10:22:17 PM »

Beef, we only have $6 billion dollars in spending on actual Atlasian government....lets pretend for government purposes 1 registered voters = half a million taxpayers...we would have 65 million taxpayers...what would be our income around that?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 10:27:02 PM »

It might be of interest to note that the United States Code does not use the word billion anywhere, probably because of just such a concern.  In anycase, since we do emulate American government, it would seem logical that we use the illogical American definition of billion.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 10:33:20 PM »

Beef, we only have $6 billion dollars in spending on actual Atlasian government....lets pretend for government purposes 1 registered voters = half a million taxpayers...we would have 65 million taxpayers...what would be our income around that?

Findings on this will be out this weekend...

Should I assume that the old budget mirrors the real world USA budget, percentage-wise, and go from there?  Because that's kinda what I had in mind.

I think the idea should be, if we were in charge, how would we fix the current system?  In any event, the actual dollar figures aren't as important as the percentages involved.

Getting back to the subject of the thread, you never know when you might need to use Trillion.  My successor may pursue an inflationary policy.  Since the British define One Trillion to be 10^18, and the USA defines it to be 10^12, this is an important thing to define.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 02:21:31 AM »

I recognise a billion as 1,000,000,000 and a trillion as 1,000,000,000,000. I'm not a maths whiz, so do these fit with the definitions you provide?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 02:41:56 AM »

I was under the impression that we inherited the state of the US and the world as of the day Eric Nyman took office.  This includes our budget.  These facts can only be changed by specific policies to do so.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 09:31:45 AM »
« Edited: October 08, 2004, 09:37:22 AM by Treasury Secretary Beef »

I recognise a billion as 1,000,000,000 and a trillion as 1,000,000,000,000. I'm not a maths whiz, so do these fit with the definitions you provide?

Yes.  These are the American definitions.

The British and Australians define a billion as 1,000,000,000,000 and a trillion as 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 (yikes!).  Sure, it is more "logical," but it is also much less practical.

EDIT: (er, wait, if Hugh recognizes the American definitions, maybe Australia defines these the same way we do...)

The purpose of this is to codify what has been common practice in America for decades.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 09:35:32 AM »

I was under the impression that we inherited the state of the US and the world as of the day Eric Nyman took office.  This includes our budget.  These facts can only be changed by specific policies to do so.

As the AG pointed out, current US (and therefore Atlasian) law does not provide for these definitions, and as a result, the words "billion" and "trillion" do not appear in the US Code.  Since so much budgeting is being done on the order of "billions" of dollars here in the AFG, I wanted to make sure there were no ambiguities possible.  It's not really "changing" the definitions.  Just codifying those that are alread in common American use.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2004, 03:07:58 PM »

Further checking shows that billion does show up in the CFR, so just go ahead and promulgate a Treasury regulation for what a billion and a trillion mean and that should do the trick, Secretary Beef.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2004, 06:37:09 PM »

I think that the Australian definition probably changed when we switched from the pound to the dollar in the 1960s Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 09:45:49 AM »

I actually think we should introduce a bill to this effect, just to cover ourselves.  There's no reason not to.
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 11:38:46 AM »

I think that the Australian definition probably changed when we switched from the pound to the dollar in the 1960s Smiley

I always thought that the switch to decimal money was a bad move all around.  I like British TV and movies set before 1970, when they'd talk about "one and six" or "half a crown" or a "ten-bob note."

"7 1/2 p", "12 1/2 p", and "50 p" just don't sound as romantic.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 04:55:51 PM »

I always thought that the switch to decimal money was a bad move all around.  I like British TV and movies set before 1970, when they'd talk about "one and six" or "half a crown" or a "ten-bob note."

Now you're just trying to get their groat. Smiley
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 09:49:54 PM »

Now you're just trying to get their groat. Smiley

Groan.  I'm not exactly rolling on the florin for that one.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 04:07:22 AM »

the aussie penny was funny; my grandma had about 5 bags of them that she gave me Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies