If Honduras' Zelaya isn't reinstated will there be democratic elections on time?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:43:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  If Honduras' Zelaya isn't reinstated will there be democratic elections on time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: If Honduras' Zelaya isn't reinstated will there be democratic elections on time?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 8

Author Topic: If Honduras' Zelaya isn't reinstated will there be democratic elections on time?  (Read 1063 times)
Jacobtm

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2009, 09:27:20 PM »

Some are saying that Honduras' change of power was legal because Zelaya violated the constitution, and that the current gov't is legitimate because it just exiled their criminal President. The current President is supposedly just an interim leader, and elections are still scheduled for the same time as they always have been.

Come time for elections, will the new government actually hold legitimate elections, or is this just the necessary rhetoric to execute a coup?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 01:23:54 PM »

They will hold elections, whether he is reinstated or not. The current "interim president" does seem to be an interim figure (he doesn't have that much support on his own - he didn't even win his party's nomination for the forthcoming polls, nor is he likely to be the other parties' choice), and he is a politician, not a military man.  There is no obvious "coup leader", who is likely to keep power for himself. The nominations for November polls have already happened, both major candidates are anti-Zelaya (including his former VP, who is running for his own party), and the political class, in general, seems to be interested in the polls happening as scheduled.

This is, actually, not an unlikely scenario: they'll muddle through, unrecognized, till November, at which point an election happens and, at least, the US and Europe are satisfied. If there is any change in the electoral timetable, it is likelier that the elections may be brought forward, than that they are delayed.

Of course, the fact is: Zelayistas (whoever they are) are not really represented in the polls, I believe: his own Liberals are against him. Perhaps, one of the minor leftish parties could nominate somebody close to the guy - I really don't know enoug about Honduran political intricacies to say. But, as is, the "normal" election is in the interests of the current rulers of Honduras: they simply can't loose.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 06:11:46 PM »

I doubt it. Constitutionalism is useful in rhetoric, but none of these men give a hang for legality.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 11:15:17 PM »

I doubt it. Constitutionalism is useful in rhetoric, but none of these men give a hang for legality.

More importantly, none of them benefits from delaying the polls.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2009, 08:04:28 AM »

Power?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 02:15:16 PM »

Define "democratic". There will be elections that will be democratic in outward form. Whether I would call an election where you have the choice between anything except what you want is "democratic" is another matter.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 03:38:08 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2009, 03:46:03 PM by ag »

Define "democratic". There will be elections that will be democratic in outward form. Whether I would call an election where you have the choice between anything except what you want is "democratic" is another matter.

Well, it will be exactly as democratic and with exactly the same candidates as it would have been had Zelaya never been ousted: the political parties there are what they are, and both major parties hate Zelaya. The candidates have been nominated already some time ago.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 03:45:18 PM »

Power?

For whom? Micheletti is not there to rule - he is, clearly, a transitional figure without sufficient support to stay even if he wanted to.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 03:47:09 PM »

Micheletti has suggested moving elections forward. My feeling is, this is exactly what they are going to try to sell to the world: elections ASAP.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 05:17:57 PM »

Power?

For whom? Micheletti is not there to rule - he is, clearly, a transitional figure without sufficient support to stay even if he wanted to.

Obviously, he can't head a junta, but who's to say that the elections won't be manipulated?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 05:30:15 PM »
« Edited: July 03, 2009, 05:36:17 PM by ag »

Power?

Obviously, he can't head a junta, but who's to say that the elections won't be manipulated?

By whom? The set of people who overthrough Zelaya includes all the prominent members of both major parties. If one side starts "manipulating" in its favor, the other will break ranks, and both are essencial for the "interim" regime's stability. I am not saying the election will be super-clean. All I am saying, it will be run by the same people, with the same candidates, etc., etc., as it would have been run had Zelaya still been in the presidential palace. The people who can manipulate elections now are exactly the same people, who could do it before: the political class of Honduras is unchanged.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies