Romney Hatred -- From Whence Does It Come?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:07:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney Hatred -- From Whence Does It Come?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Romney Hatred -- From Whence Does It Come?  (Read 5028 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »

I am not a fan of Mitt Romney at all.  But I do find it interesting that Republicans tend to be of one mind or another about him.  I am not hearing a lot of "meh" when his name comes up.  That could be a good thing, I dunno.

What I would like to know from my Republican friends is this:  If you loathe Mitt, why?  Is it because of his past or current stance on social issues?  Is it because of his Mormonism?  Is it a particular position on a policy issue? Is it the hair? Was it a specific comment he made, such as suggesting his sons were serving their country by helping him win elections rather than volunteer for the military?  Something else?

If you love Mitt, why?  Is it because you view him as conservative enough to hold the base but not a "nutter" who will drive away moderates and indies?  Is it because his wealth is indicative of a certain fiscal know-how and economic savvy?  Has it more to do with his affable personality and solid family life?  Perhaps you like his approach to campaigning?  What?

I'm sure curious.  I am neither a Mitt hater, nor a Mitt fan.  He is far too conservative for my taste on fiscal and social issues...but you surely expect as much from this silly leftist.  As a man, I find him to be a genial sort of fellow and a decent, but not remarkable, personal style and presentation. 
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »

There's always going to be some antipathy for people from blue-blood political dynasties but Lucifer "Mitt" Romney really is something else when it comes to transparent political opportunism and pandering.

I'll let the Republicans take it from here though.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 08:47:16 PM »

I am not a fan of Mitt Romney at all.  But I do find it interesting that Republicans tend to be of one mind or another about him.  I am not hearing a lot of "meh" when his name comes up.  That could be a good thing, I dunno.

What I would like to know from my Republican friends is this:  If you loathe Mitt, why?  Is it because of his past or current stance on social issues?  Is it because of his Mormonism?  Is it a particular position on a policy issue? Is it the hair? Was it a specific comment he made, such as suggesting his sons were serving their country by helping him win elections rather than volunteer for the military?  Something else?

If you love Mitt, why?  Is it because you view him as conservative enough to hold the base but not a "nutter" who will drive away moderates and indies?  Is it because his wealth is indicative of a certain fiscal know-how and economic savvy?  Has it more to do with his affable personality and solid family life?  Perhaps you like his approach to campaigning?  What?

I'm sure curious.  I am neither a Mitt hater, nor a Mitt fan.  He is far too conservative for my taste on fiscal and social issues...but you surely expect as much from this silly leftist.  As a man, I find him to be a genial sort of fellow and a decent, but not remarkable, personal style and presentation. 

Well as a Mitt fan I will respons to you second paragraph.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes that is one among many reasons. He often talked about unity among all Conservatives in the Reagan Coalition and trying to bring that back together, and whether you think thats a good idea or not is better to be as inclusive as possible, unlike Huck whose campaign manager openly talked about giving one part of the coalition the boot. He also has pretty good appeal in three very important regions. The Northeast, Midwest, and Mountain West.

Its not just his wealth but the fact that he has a management style that would be pretty effective and many people if they would look past the spin and look at his decision making style(Listening to other people then making a decision once he has heard all sides), he is completely different then Bush and I think we need to restore that image of competance to the GOP.

Yes I find it important that the First family should set a good example for exceptable behavior, Obama's family has done well in this regard as well. In terms of personality there is know doubt that he is not the stereotypical businessmen. This is the guy who shut down the office and paid his workers to go out and help search for the missing daughter of one of his employees.

Actually he was pretty poor at this at least in terms of campaign strategy. He was so desparate to avoid ending up like his dad that he tried to please everyone and in the end made twice as many mistakes as his dad made and exasperated his issues with consistancy. In terms of his personal campaign style I liked his Ask Mitt Anything townhalls and I liked his use of powerpoints. Again to compare to Bush who often relied on extracting a knee jerk reaction from people, Romney has the ability to in an educated fashion present an arguement for or against something.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 08:50:28 PM »
« Edited: July 07, 2009, 08:54:16 PM by Senator Tmthforu94 »

I think it's ridiculous and immature to go around calling a candidate "Lucifer" or "Satan". It's similar to those who call Obama a terrorist. You might not like his positions, or him personally, but that doesn't make him Satan. If that's the case, then I know a lot of Satans...

I like Mitt Romney, obviously. I don't feel, though, like I rub my opinion of him in people's faces. He's always struck me as someone who seems to care, and that's important to me. He has a load of charisma, and I have a gut feeling that he would be a good leader. I think he has a better understanding of the economy than anyone in the 2012 field, which is a crucial thing, especially if the economy is still sluggish. He has a good record as Massachusetts Governor as well.

Some say he looks like a used car salesman. So? Looks aren't important. Look at Hillary. She got 18 million people to vote for her. I wouldn't label GWB a "babe" either.

I honestly believe a huge region why many hate Romney. He's a Mormon. They had a bad first impression of him, and were convinced on only finding the negatives. My hate for Huckabee isn't like that. I liked him, until he really focused his entire campaign on attacking Romney. It turns me off when any candidate does that.

One last thing: Mitt Romney is smart, and he acts smart. It would be nice for the Republicans to nominate someone who actually acts intelligent just once.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 08:55:40 PM »

I like Mitt Romney... He's always struck me as someone who seems to care

seriously?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 08:57:22 PM »

One problem I had was that he seemed to flip flop.  It was a trust issue.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 09:01:00 PM »

I have more of a problem with delusional Mitt Romney supporters who think he's the savior of moderate Republicans, rather than Mitt himself.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009, 09:04:12 PM »

What I would like to know from my Republican friends is this:  If you loathe Mitt, why?  Is it because of his past or current stance on social issues?

Yes.

Of course not.

See my first note.

Of course not.

Perhaps.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:38 PM »

I have more of a problem with delusional Mitt Romney supporters who think he's the savior of moderate Republicans, rather than Mitt himself.

To a point I agree. He is not a messiah for Moderate Republicans. However he is not as threatening as Hucky, Palin or Newt. Not a Savior but someone who can keep them from fleeing as fast as they would with the alternatives.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »

NC Yankee...

Thanks so much.  That was precisely the sort of response I was hoping for in terms of erudition and elaboration.

BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2009, 09:18:33 PM »

Yes, this.  It's really the only reason I call him Lucifer, Satan, etc.  Otherwise he'd be too boring to deserve those titles.  The fact that he never campaigned as a moderate Republican on the national level makes it even more annoying.

And there's some anti-Mormon bias in the evangelical wing of the GOP but it's not enough to bellyache over. Americans have embraced Mormons in the past!

BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2009, 09:23:02 PM »

"I saw my father march with Martin Luther King." (Romney's campaign later admitted that they didn't march on the same day, or in the same city)

"PETA is not happy that my dog likes fresh air." --on strapping his dog to the top of the car

"My sons are all adults and they've made decisions about their careers and they've chosen not to serve in the military and active duty and I respect their decision in that regard. One of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I'd be a great president."

"You sit down with your attorneys and tell you what you have to do, but obviously the president of the United States has to do what's in the best interest of the United States against a potential threat." --on whether he would consult Congress about invading Iran

"I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life." (Romney's campaign later said he'd been hunting twice, once when he was 15, and once in 2006 at a Republican fundraiser

"I'm not a big-game hunter. I've made that very clear. I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will."

"Hugo Chavez has tried to steal an inspiring phrase 'Patria o muerte, venceremos.' It does not belong to him. It belongs to a free Cuba." --invoking a phrase that translates to "Fatherland or death, we shall overcome," which Fidel Castro has used to close his speeches for years, and which is associated with Cuban oppression

"Well, the question is kind of a non sequitur, if you will. And what I mean by that -- or a null set." --after being asked during a Republican debate whether is was a mistake to invade Iraq

"We should double Guantanamo!"

"I'm happy to learn that after I speak you're going to hear from Ann Coulter. That's a good thing. I think it's important to get the views of moderates." --right before Coulter called John Edwards a "f****t"

And Palin is the one with funny quotes?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2009, 09:32:30 PM »

To a point I agree. He is not a messiah for Moderate Republicans. However he is not as threatening as Hucky, Palin or Newt. Not a Savior but someone who can keep them from fleeing as fast as they would with the alternatives.

Ya I agree, but Mitt is still too damaged to win anything in the future I suspect. He just can't tell the truth, and that is curtains in the end.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2009, 09:41:02 PM »

"I saw my father march with Martin Luther King." (Romney's campaign later admitted that they didn't march on the same day, or in the same city)

"PETA is not happy that my dog likes fresh air." --on strapping his dog to the top of the car

"My sons are all adults and they've made decisions about their careers and they've chosen not to serve in the military and active duty and I respect their decision in that regard. One of the ways my sons are showing support for our nation is helping me get elected because they think I'd be a great president."

"You sit down with your attorneys and tell you what you have to do, but obviously the president of the United States has to do what's in the best interest of the United States against a potential threat." --on whether he would consult Congress about invading Iran

"I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life." (Romney's campaign later said he'd been hunting twice, once when he was 15, and once in 2006 at a Republican fundraiser

"I'm not a big-game hunter. I've made that very clear. I've always been a rodent and rabbit hunter. Small varmints, if you will."

"Hugo Chavez has tried to steal an inspiring phrase 'Patria o muerte, venceremos.' It does not belong to him. It belongs to a free Cuba." --invoking a phrase that translates to "Fatherland or death, we shall overcome," which Fidel Castro has used to close his speeches for years, and which is associated with Cuban oppression

"Well, the question is kind of a non sequitur, if you will. And what I mean by that -- or a null set." --after being asked during a Republican debate whether is was a mistake to invade Iraq

"We should double Guantanamo!"

"I'm happy to learn that after I speak you're going to hear from Ann Coulter. That's a good thing. I think it's important to get the views of moderates." --right before Coulter called John Edwards a "f****t"

And Palin is the one with funny quotes?

That last one sounds like something Keystone Phil would say as a joke.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2009, 10:15:15 PM »

"Well, the question is kind of a non sequitur, if you will. And what I mean by that -- or a null set." --after being asked during a Republican debate whether is was a mistake to invade Iraq.

I remember that debate, and I thought that was bizarre/hilarious.  I never thought I'd see a politician use the phrase "null set".  I can only imagine what Palin would think if Romney used the phrase "null set" in a debate with her.  What would she think "null set" meant?
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 10:20:32 PM »

Romney is the Republican equivalent to Kerry.  A horse-faced fancy talker with big hair and no real convictions.  I also think he has about as much chance in 2012 as Kerry did in 2004.  Is the opportunity there?  Certainly.  Would he blow it in the end and be trampled by his opponent's superior campaigning and personality?  Almost definitely.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2009, 10:37:17 PM »

Romney is the Republican equivalent to Kerry.  A horse-faced fancy talker with big hair and no real convictions.  I also think he has about as much chance in 2012 as Kerry did in 2004.  Is the opportunity there?  Certainly.  Would he blow it in the end and be trampled by his opponent's superior campaigning and personality?  Almost definitely.

Mitt Romney has a clear and successful record, something Kerry sorely lacked.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 10:47:53 PM »

Was Romney really especially successful in government?  I know most people accept that he did well by the Winter Olympics (or whatever), but I've read some learned people suggest he essentially got run out of town on a rail in MA.  Was he taking the fall, or was he genuinely just not that effective?

He's still a smarmy SOB, and I'd prefer to vote for someone who isn't a reflexive and calculated liar (at least to that degree) -- but if he is he brilliant manager some of his supporters suggest...

Sigh, these threads lately.  Obama economy threads -- "Not sure I could vote for this guy."  Republican candidate threads -- "Not sure I could vote for any of these people."  Libertarian candidate -- "Not sure this guy bathes."  What a world.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 10:52:50 PM »

Was Romney really especially successful in government?  I know most people accept that he did well by the Winter Olympics (or whatever), but I've read some learned people suggest he essentially got run out of town on a rail in MA.  Was he taking the fall, or was he genuinely just not that effective?

He's still a smarmy SOB, and I'd prefer to vote for someone who isn't a reflexive and calculated liar (at least to that degree) -- but if he is he brilliant manager some of his supporters suggest...

Sigh, these threads lately.  Obama economy threads -- "Not sure I could vote for this guy."  Republican candidate threads -- "Not sure I could vote for any of these people."  Libertarian candidate -- "Not sure this guy bathes."  What a world.
His more conservative policies just weren't very popular in general being that it was Massachusetts. He opposed much of what the legislature was trying to work on, and voters hate deadlock. It's not that he was incompetent. He turned the deficit into a large surplus by improving efficiency and making MA more business-friendly. Also, ranked number one in education during Mitt's tenure I believe.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2009, 11:06:27 PM »

I actually think he's more similar to Gore. Both have fathers who were prominent politicians. Both were significantly moderate in their home states and governing than in their national campaigns. Both were told to do things they didn't want to because it was "politically advantageous". For Gore, it was not talking about the environment nor the Clinton administrations achievements. For Romney, it was moving significantly to the right on social issues and foreign policy (I don't know about the latter, but that's what I guess. The former is not debatable however). Both did well when they didn't listen to this "advice".

I'd say he's no Reagan, but he's a strong candidate.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 11:20:01 PM »

I have family in MA. They have no love for Mitt, and part of it is sense that he was as much governing by a finger to the wind than by any sense of principle or vision. To GOP'ers elsewhere they either see a politician who is right on message or one who is fickle and can't be trusted to keep a committed position. An "OK" conservative he is not, so no meh.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 11:22:12 PM »

It comes from people with small minds and inflated egos who seem to thrive on such immature, ludicrous, misplaced, and unwarranted descriptive expressions like Lucifer and Satan.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 11:35:14 PM »

Essentially he was run out of town both by the Democrats who despised him and by the McCain supporting wing of the Massachusetts GOP whose last Governor was Jane Swift, and She left the state in such a "wonderfull" condition compared to Romney. Then in the 2008 debates Romney got blamed for 175,000 Job losses by John McCain. The study cited by McCain, who also mistook Swift for Kerry Healey calling Swift Romney's Lt. Governor and pointed out that she was supporting him, included Job loss numbers starting in 2000 so most of that occured under the Cellucci and Swift administrations.
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 11:55:51 PM »

The impression I got during the 2007/8 campaign was that Romney was willing to press any little point to hit the appropriate buttons with the right type of conservatives.  I remember in particular a debate, sometime in November I think, where Romney made a point of viciously attacking Huckabee for a program in Arkansas that offered scholarships to those in the very top of their high school classes, because children of illegal immigrants were eligible for them, or something to that effect---the sort of policy we should be encouraging, I feel, but Romney kept on bringing it up just to hit that "immigration" button.

Not that any politician doesn't do that sort of thing, but it's many, many things like that that make me extremely wary of supporting the guy, as I have absolutely no idea how he'll govern.

Plus, as a western Mass. man at heart, there are still some hard feelings from the Jane Swift days.  (Have a look-see at the 2008 Republican primary map by town for a bit of what I mean).

The problem is, I think Romney is the closest thing to my kind of Republican we're going to have in the race, so I may end up backing him in the end, though don't expect me to do it at any point before November 2011.

EDIT:  Padfoot:  Horse-faced?  If there's one thing Mr. I Look So Presidential isn't, it's horse-faced.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »

Where does it come from? It comes from the distaste for phony opportunists. That's Mitt Romney.

I'm not Mike Huckabee's biggest fan but, just like with Iowa 2008, if I have to get on board with him to stop Mitt, I don't even have to think twice about it. That being said, I hope/think there will be fresh faces for 2012.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies