Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:43:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Education and Care for Children in Poverty Act  (Read 9036 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« on: October 08, 2004, 05:06:55 PM »

This act is about helping kids to learn, correct?

What kid wants to spend 13 hours at a school/daycare center?  How do you expect the staff to teach kids better than their parents?  This will just turn into government funded 13 hour school where, if this is anything like my elementary/middle school, the teacher teaches some and then watches us play.  There will be no special teaching in the large majority of these schools.  Wouldn't an expansion of the YMCA or Boys and girls clubs of America be better, instead of building more day care centers and increasing spend?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 06:48:36 PM »

if this is anything like my elementary/middle school, the teacher teaches some and then watches us play.

That sounds a lot like a Montissori system, which is quite successful (and I should know! Wink)
What I meant was that most teachers don't really teach you much. 
Very few teachers ( especially the ones who will be working at these government run day cares) teach you, instead they pretend to teach you, and then they become your babysitter and send you to recess.

This simply won't work because there is already a shortage of teachers.  How do you come up with all the peole to staff these day cares?  Pay them more?  More money in the program, which means using more of my money "to for the tit" to quote StevenNick.

I'm very alarmed at the slew of leftist bills on the table.
Just this term we've had the Family Planning Bill, the Marriage Equity Act, the Fed Activity Bill, and IrishDems regressive, tax the middle class bill.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 04:42:33 PM »

Oh, my, gosh.
18.9 Billion This YEAR and 17.65 billion every other year.

I really think this money can be better spent on a stronger military and increased funding for missle defense and the F-22 fighter that SecDef Ford has asked for.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 08:01:27 PM »

Oh, my, gosh.
18.9 Billion This YEAR and 17.65 billion every other year.

I really think this money can be better spent on a stronger military and increased funding for missle defense and the F-22 fighter that SecDef Ford has asked for.

Well, I guess that pretty much sums up our contrasting priorites. You do know that we spend way more on our military than any other country, yet are we thatmuch safer than any other country.
This http://ww11.e-tractions.com/truemajority/run/oreo?rd=436 film sums up a lot of what I'm trying to say here.

Yeah I'd rather the west coast not be vulnerable to Chinese/NK missles and I want our air force to have the MOST modern fighter out there.  You want to create more day care centers.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »

Might I remind dubya2004 that a smarter nation has the intellectual capital to design and build the NEXT bomber.  Education is a critical part of national defense, IMO.
Sure it does.

But, the Senators plan throws billions of dollars at a problem that can't always be fixed by money.  Pres Bush's NCLB threw money at a problem, but we now realize that alot of the money is stuck at the state level not being used.  The education system is full of waste.  In NYC there is that homosexual highschool.  How much did that cost in a city that needs all the education money it can get.

Right now we have a 25-30 year old fighter fleet that needs replacing.
The F-22 is the answer to replacing the F-15 fleet and restoring our air dominince.

After funding is allocated for the F-22/NMD there will be what ~12 Billion
left for Akno's education plan.  Cut out the second part about the daycare just after school and you have enough money.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 01:52:31 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2004, 01:59:27 PM by dubya2004 »

My school just got 750 K to build a new WEIGHT training facility.
Talk about a stupid alocation of money.

Another thing.  I'm pretty sure my school is on the watch list.  But it's not because we don't have enough money.  All of our computers are 5 or less years old, all our textbooks are usable, and we have excellant teachers.  Sometimes it's just the kids not wanting to learn. Every school has them.  Kids that don't do anything and don't take the tests seriously.  We replaced Gym Jr year with an extra math class, but the next yr the scores didn't improve.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 05:30:26 PM »

Another thing.  I'm pretty sure my school is on the watch list.  But it's not because we don't have enough money.  All of our computers are 5 or less years old, all our textbooks are usable, and we have excellant teachers.  Sometimes it's just the kids not wanting to learn. Every school has them.  Kids that don't do anything and don't take the tests seriously.  We replaced Gym Jr year with an extra math class, but the next yr the scores didn't improve.

Dubya, my bill will not give funding to build weight training facilities, not to worry.

About the kids who don't want to learn, maybe if we instilled good learning habits in them at an early age, things would be different.
How are you going to instill good learning habits.  Most don't like school and never have.  What are you going to make them go to more school and give them less freedom? I know the last thing I wanted to do when I was 10 or 11 was stay at school or at a daycare place.  I wanted to get out and play ball or watch tv.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 06:58:29 PM »

Dubya, my bill will not give funding to build weight training facilities, not to worry.

About the kids who don't want to learn, maybe if we instilled good learning habits in them at an early age, things would be different.
How are you going to instill good learning habits.  Most don't like school and never have.  What are you going to make them go to more school and give them less freedom? I know the last thing I wanted to do when I was 10 or 11 was stay at school or at a daycare place.  I wanted to get out and play ball or watch tv.

The bulk of this bill is for when they are 1 or 2, not 10 or 11. Also, the bill does not say children MUST attend the after school care, it is simply an option for parents who can't spend time with their kid then, but want them supervised.

You are alocating ~5.5 billion (1/3 of the money) for school age day care services and you're assuming every kid will attend (which they won't).
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2004, 03:08:27 PM »

VETO VETO VETO VETO VETO
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2004, 04:39:17 PM »

VE.....(thinks).......TO VETO VETO
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2004, 08:55:17 PM »

Let me correct that:
Military Hardware>Over the top Education spending>Any other unneccesary social spending
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2004, 02:22:51 PM »

Let me correct that:
Military Hardware>Over the top Education spending>Any other unneccesary social spending

Until our students are the smartest in the world, it will be very hard for us to overspend on education.

People say our students aren't the best in the world.  The problem with comparison is that we compare wrong.  Most countries only let a small percentage (10-15%) attend what we would consider a high school.  The rest go to a technical type school.  We compare our entire school system to the top 10% in Germany or Japan and come up with our students not being smart enough.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies