Ethnicity of U.S. Presidents (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:23:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Ethnicity of U.S. Presidents (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ethnicity of U.S. Presidents  (Read 93622 times)
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« on: July 10, 2009, 09:56:57 PM »

It almost looks like you tried grouping by their last names alone, which isn't a great way to go.  "Hoover", for instance, is the anglicized form of the German "Huber".  Theodore Roosevelt, as Supersoulty hinted, was more Scottish than Dutch.  The Bushes have significant German ancestry.

And the list goes on, and on, and on... several Presidents had Amerindian heritage, and Warren Harding might have been part African.

Actually, there's no verifiable evidence that any presidents have had Amerindian ancestry, despite rumors otherwise.  Same thing with Harding and Africa.  Cite 

In Harding's case, I think the speculation started with Frances Russell's book The Shadow of Blooming Grove.  There's another book that was written a long time ago that speculated that five presidents, including Harding and Coolidge, had African ancestry, but again, genealogists find these claims highly unlikely.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Don't give Stark more fodder.  Then again, I'm sure he's well aware of that theory.
Magic 8-Ball
mrk
YaBB God
Czech Republic

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2009, 10:19:41 PM »

Isn't Obama half-Irish or something like that?

It's actually more like 3 percent, at least according to the genealogist that I cited above.  Apparently, that's enough for the Irish to adopt and write songs about him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies