2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:39:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Author Topic: 2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)  (Read 29538 times)
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2009, 10:20:58 AM »

Aye.

I withdraw my amendment, in hopes that Franzl or Yankee come up with a compromise.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2009, 10:27:48 AM »

Aye
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2009, 04:02:10 PM »

Aye
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »

aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2009, 04:19:31 PM »

With 6 Ayes, 0 Nays and 0 Abstentions this amendment has passed.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2009, 04:42:24 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2009, 04:48:53 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

I proposed this amendment with the inclusion of the nationalization of the auto industry at the behest of President Lief who told me to introduce it with my aims high but to compromise if necessary. I would much prefer a middle ground rather than simply stripping something out and canceling out half of the stimulus. We may as well just vote the entire stimulus down if we're not prepared to do everything necessary.

What sort of middle ground proposals, specifically, would anyone here support for aiding the auto-industry? (And forgive me, but I didn't read NCY's post on the previous page entirely. I read about half of it and got distracted Tongue)

You weren't the only one to not read my posts so don't feel bad. Tongue. Am I the only one on this forum that reads every post in a thread before posting?

My Auto Plan
1. Reduce the Corporate Tax rate on them to a temporary rate of 15% and allow them to deduct all loses from there there taxes.
2. Invest heavilly in technology
3. Provide for an emergency fund should they face eminent liquidation either in the form of Gov't backed private loans, or direct aid.
4. Consolidate. Consolidate. Consolidate.
5. Allow them to go through a natural bankruptcy to clear the execs and the top managemant, and force all parties to agree to a restructuring,
6. Respect private property by letting the Bondholders to get a fair settlement.

and also
7. Passing a Health Care reform to lift some of the burdens off the care companies and Atlasian companies in general by reducing overall costs.

I would like to see the Overal Corporate Tax rate dropped, flattened, and with exemptions or deductions made for certain struggling sectors. However the current composition of the Senate doesn't favor that so I will instead compromis in favor of line 1 up above.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2009, 04:47:55 PM »

How would these investments in technology look, exactly? Would they be provided in the form of direct government subsidies?

My other question is about the emergency loans or direct aid...would the fact that they certainly exist prevent car makers from truly enacting appropriate reforms?

Obviously there would be terrible short term effects if any main automaker were to be liquidated, and that is something that nobody would like to see happen.

The temporary corporate tax reductions are a very good idea...Question: Would they apply only to the Big 3 Atlasian automakers, or to every automaker?

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2009, 05:01:21 PM »

How would these investments in technology look, exactly? Would they be provided in the form of direct government subsidies?

My other question is about the emergency loans or direct aid...would the fact that they certainly exist prevent car makers from truly enacting appropriate reforms?

Obviously there would be terrible short term effects if any main automaker were to be liquidated, and that is something that nobody would like to see happen.

The temporary corporate tax reductions are a very good idea...Question: Would they apply only to the Big 3 Atlasian automakers, or to every automaker?

1. The Investment in technology would consist first and foremost with boosting the overall investment in R&D for Energy and Transportation tech. In RL its currently at 4 Billion annually. The wonderful Mitt Romney proposed boasting it to $20 billion a year, I would prefer $25 Billion or more annually. I am not exactly sure how the our R&D program works but I beleive subsidies are a part of it. 

2. We will have to deal with that problem either by something like saying you will only get aid once or something like that. I am open to whatever you think is appropriate to prevent that from happening

3. Again, on the tax deductions, something I hadn't thought about yet but am currently working on that. I would appreciate any suggestions you have on that as well.

I am good at crafting overal strategies, and plans but when it comes down to micro details I am not as good.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2009, 05:08:27 PM »

1. The Investment in technology would consist first and foremost with boosting the overall investment in R&D for Energy and Transportation tech. In RL its currently at 4 Billion annually. The wonderful Mitt Romney proposed boasting it to $20 billion a year, I would prefer $25 Billion or more annually. I am not exactly sure how the our R&D program works but I beleive subsidies are a part of it. 

2. We will have to deal with that problem either by something like saying you will only get aid once or something like that. I am open to whatever you think is appropriate to prevent that from happening

3. Again, on the tax deductions, something I hadn't thought about yet but am currently working on that. I would appreciate any suggestions you have on that as well.

I am good at crafting overal strategies, and plans but when it comes down to micro details I am not as good.

Yeah that's my problem as well....finding exact details and wording for bills Wink

I'll see what I can do. Allowing the emergency funding once and only once is good proposal. I would consider it only fair to provide the corporate tax cuts to the entire industry...it's still a good way to keep Atlasian makers from folding, I think.

Ultimately, of course, the funding for research is the best way of getting the Atlasian car industry competitive again...and that should certainly be our long-term strategy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2009, 05:13:56 PM »

Yeah that's my problem as well....finding exact details and wording for bills Wink

I'll see what I can do. Allowing the emergency funding once and only once is good proposal. I would consider it only fair to provide the corporate tax cuts to the entire industry...it's still a good way to keep Atlasian makers from folding, I think.

Ultimately, of course, the funding for research is the best way of getting the Atlasian car industry competitive again...and that should certainly be our long-term strategy.

Whatever you come up with, as long as it includes all 7 of the things or at least 5 or 6 of the things I outlined above, I will support it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2009, 06:42:02 PM »

Jesus, I take a few hours away from the forum.. Tongue

I proposed this amendment with the inclusion of the nationalization of the auto industry at the behest of President Lief who told me to introduce it with my aims high but to compromise if necessary. I would much prefer a middle ground rather than simply stripping something out and canceling out half of the stimulus. We may as well just vote the entire stimulus down if we're not prepared to do everything necessary.

What sort of middle ground proposals, specifically, would anyone here support for aiding the auto-industry? (And forgive me, but I didn't read NCY's post on the previous page entirely. I read about half of it and got distracted Tongue)

You weren't the only one to not read my posts so don't feel bad. Tongue. Am I the only one on this forum that reads every post in a thread before posting?

My Auto Plan
1. Reduce the Corporate Tax rate on them to a temporary rate of 15% and allow them to deduct all loses from there there taxes.
3. Provide for an emergency fund should they face eminent liquidation either in the form of Gov't backed private loans, or direct aid.
5. Allow them to go through a natural bankruptcy to clear the execs and the top managemant, and force all parties to agree to a restructuring,
6. Respect private property by letting the Bondholders to get a fair settlement.

and also
7. Passing a Health Care reform to lift some of the burdens off the care companies and Atlasian companies in general by reducing overall costs.

I would like to see the Overal Corporate Tax rate dropped, flattened, and with exemptions or deductions made for certain struggling sectors. However the current composition of the Senate doesn't favor that so I will instead compromis in favor of line 1 up above.

Your overall plan is decent, though I wish it included more direct aid to the automakers. I'm a bit concerned that cutting the corporate tax rate by more than half for the automakers is too steep of a cut, but if you mandate it only be for two years or something, that's something I could swallow, I suppose.

I think, though, we should all remember that even though the automakers are obviously incompetent and horrifically mismanaged, all automakers are having problems right now (even Asian auto companies are having serious problems because of the recession) and we need to be careful that we don't force them to consolidate and contract their businesses too much, once the recession is over.

However I don't believe bankruptcy and going to be helpful for any of them, especially GM. Bankruptcy could seriously hurt the reputation of the brand and will likely drive workers and customers to foreign owned, and non-unionized, factories and dealerships. I would hope that we could provide funds to them to stave off bankruptcy. It wouldn't take a great deal of money to keep the businesses afloat, especially in comparison to all we're spending on other portions of this bill. At least providing funds to keep GM from bankruptcy, would be nice.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2009, 07:11:57 PM »

Jesus, I take a few hours away from the forum.. Tongue

My Auto Plan

and also

Your overall plan is decent, though I wish it included more direct aid to the automakers. I'm a bit concerned that cutting the corporate tax rate by more than half for the automakers is too steep of a cut, but if you mandate it only be for two years or something, that's something I could swallow, I suppose.

I think, though, we should all remember that even though the automakers are obviously incompetent and horrifically mismanaged, all automakers are having problems right now (even Asian auto companies are having serious problems because of the recession) and we need to be careful that we don't force them to consolidate and contract their businesses too much, once the recession is over.

However I don't believe bankruptcy and going to be helpful for any of them, especially GM. Bankruptcy could seriously hurt the reputation of the brand and will likely drive workers and customers to foreign owned, and non-unionized, factories and dealerships. I would hope that we could provide funds to them to stave off bankruptcy. It wouldn't take a great deal of money to keep the businesses afloat, especially in comparison to all we're spending on other portions of this bill. At least providing funds to keep GM from bankruptcy, would be nice.

1. then how about 20%. It doesn't have to be exactly 15%. And yes it would be for a set period like 2 years or whatever.

2. I agree that they should not consolidate too much, and as I mentioned a few pages back(which I am sure you didn't read Tongue) we shouldn't have them get rid of all there trucks and SUV's. As Alfred Sloan was asked in Congressional hearing way back in the day, did GM profit on all its lines even in its best years, Sloans' answer was "no". All auto companies are struggling but none of them are in as bad a shape as the Big three in the US.

3. Okay, if you can propose a compromise to hold the execs responsible and get restructuring without bankruptcy or a Gov't takeover, I will glady listen, just like you have fairly listened to all my proposals Tongue. Also I will be sure to "read" what you post as well. Grin.  Just be sure that the first line of aid comes in the form of Gov't back Private loans, that way tax payer money only gets involved if they collaspe and we aren't going to let them collapse, are we Wink. If you have no takers on loaning them money even with the Gov't backing then we can provided them with direct aid.

Again you might end up in a debate with Franzl with me watching from the sidelines here if I find your compromise exceptable. He prefers the bankruptcy option.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: July 19, 2009, 05:41:37 PM »

Simple amendment I was talking about last night with Franzl. Our discussion made me think that more public hospitals certainly wouldn't hurt to consider.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2009, 05:43:35 PM »

Yeah, I think that's a good idea.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #139 on: July 19, 2009, 06:22:33 PM »

Goodness. What on earth is this bill? And why do you make me read through pages and pages of it Grin
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: July 19, 2009, 06:23:27 PM »

Goodness. What on earth is this bill? And why do you make me read through pages and pages of it Grin

Sensible economic stimulus, my friend! Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #141 on: July 19, 2009, 07:20:03 PM »

Well you could of course just take peoples word for it as to what it is, but I prefer Senators to know what they are voting on. 

Building Hospitals is a good idea so I support the honerable Senator's amendment. What about the Energy Assisstance, and the infusing cash into the depleted "Crisis" funds? I would inquire to ask the the honerable Senator Marokai, Is that still on the table? 
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #142 on: July 20, 2009, 06:04:28 AM »

Section 3 is amended to read:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The automakers should go through natural bankruptcy and restructuring processes without excessive government intervention. I also agree with NCYankee that passing meaningful healthcare reform will also provide a great deal of aid to automakers that are struggling with funding union wages and benefits.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: July 20, 2009, 06:13:04 AM »

Well, obviously I reject the idea that unions should be the punching bag here (and I've explained why here and elsewhere) but as for your amendment, I object to it unless the "emergency funds" are increased to $10 billion as opposed to $5 billion.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #144 on: July 20, 2009, 07:38:40 AM »

I would like the automakers to have the option of asking for a government assisted takeover and bankruptcy. $5 billion isn't nearly enough for them.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #145 on: July 20, 2009, 08:08:13 AM »

I'll agree to raising the amount to $10 billion, as proposed by Marokai.....but I'm not open to any form of nationalization.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 20, 2009, 12:24:12 PM »

I'll agree to raising the amount to $10 billion, as proposed by Marokai.....but I'm not open to any form of nationalization.

If we can't guarantee that a bankruptcy will not result in some surviving company it could further exacerbate the economic situation. The best option is to stay out until bankruptcy is necessary, but if/when they enter into court proceedings the government should step in and ensure the company emerges leaner, more competitive, but intact.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #147 on: July 20, 2009, 01:13:34 PM »

Perhaps if we get to a point where all Atlasian automakers are likely to be liquated....but to be perfectly honest, I don't think it should be our responsibility to make sure every one survives, that's not how the market is supposed to work. I'm not convinced that it would even be a terrible thing for total supply on the American auto market to go down a bit....
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #148 on: July 20, 2009, 01:29:44 PM »

Perhaps if we get to a point where all Atlasian automakers are likely to be liquated....but to be perfectly honest, I don't think it should be our responsibility to make sure every one survives, that's not how the market is supposed to work. I'm not convinced that it would even be a terrible thing for total supply on the American auto market to go down a bit....

I think that is an appropriate attitude. Car sales reflect consumer choice and attitude to the market more than any other 'one purchase' indicator. I see no reason to support struggling makers who are struggling due to their own complacency. I would be more willing to bail out the company investing in cleaner energy use and dual energy use in cars than those who stubbornly stick to oil and churn out unsustainable 'mini tanks' as family cars.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2009, 02:32:40 PM »

I think that is an appropriate attitude. Car sales reflect consumer choice and attitude to the market more than any other 'one purchase' indicator. I see no reason to support struggling makers who are struggling due to their own complacency. I would be more willing to bail out the company investing in cleaner energy use and dual energy use in cars than those who stubbornly stick to oil and churn out unsustainable 'mini tanks' as family cars.

I support helping Atlasian automakers because many workers would lose their jobs if the automaker collaspes. Not because I think than those businesses should survive.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies