2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:33:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Author Topic: 2009 Atlasian Economic Relief and Recovery Bill (Law'd)  (Read 29528 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2009, 10:20:49 PM »

Aye
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2009, 07:58:46 AM »

Nay
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2009, 09:03:34 AM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2009, 08:07:58 PM »

I propose the following amendment to be added to the queue:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2009, 08:18:32 PM »

That certainly has my complete support. Clause J, especially, as that will include purchases from Atlasian auto-makers.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2009, 08:23:03 PM »

I would probably support this. It brings the total to about one Trillion and deals with some of my pet causes. Though, shouldn't we include language allowing for those Public and Private partnerships. Cause the grid needed to transport the power from the Wind and Solar in the Southwest and Midwest to the Coasts costs about $100 Billion. Plus you have to clear the corridors on which to build them which means buying property from people and tearing down existing structures. So a few billion for that has to come from the Gov't share and I don't believe it counts toward the overall $100 Billion. So you probably have to raise about $55 Billion to $60 Billion from private investment to get the job done on top of the $50 Billion appropriated as part of your amendment. This is according to what T Boone Pickens told a Congressional hearing last July or August on this issue.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 13, 2009, 08:26:13 PM »

I would probably support this. It brings the total to about one Trillion and deals with some of my pet causes. Though, shouldn't we include language allowing for those Public and Private partnerships. Cause the grid needed to transport the power from the Wind and Solar in the Southwest and Midwest to the Coasts costs about $100 Billion. Plus you have to clear the corridors on which to build them which means buying property from people and tearing down existing structures. So a few billion for that has to come from the Gov't share and I don't believe it counts toward the overall $100 Billion. So you probably have to raise about $55 Billion to $60 Billion from private investment to get the job done on top of the $50 Billion appropriated as part of your amendment. This is according to what T Boone Pickens told a Congressional hearing last July or August on this issue.

Because of the sensitivity of that proposal, I would rather that be done in a separate amendment, rather than jeopardize the other spending proposals put forth. Feel free to write up what you believe would be appropriate and present it as a separate amendment.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2009, 08:27:15 PM »

That certainly has my complete support. Clause J, especially, as that will include purchases from Atlasian auto-makers.

Thats why I intially suggested it, but I never thought I could get you guys to go along with it. Smiley

I have a suggestion, how about squeezing in a few billion more for light Rail and modernising the power grid. Another one I could suggest but I can guess your reaction is a few billion for replacing or repairing military equiptment.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2009, 08:28:58 PM »

Thats why I intially suggested it, but I never thought I could get you guys to go along with it. Smiley

I have a suggestion, how about squeezing in a few billion more for light Rail and modernising the power grid. Another one I could suggest but I can guess your reaction is a few billion for replacing or repairing military equiptment.

Why would I have a problem with necessary military spending? I included it because you proposed it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2009, 08:29:47 PM »

Because of the sensitivity of that proposal, I would rather that be done in a separate amendment, rather than jeopardize the other spending proposals put forth. Feel free to write up what you believe would be appropriate and present it as a separate amendment.

Well I am still a little new at writing complex language for bills. I will do my best.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »

Why would I have a problem with necessary military spending? I included it because you proposed it.

Cause when I proposed it as something that should be in the RL stimulus the response was not exactly enthusiastic.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2009, 08:53:45 PM »

Let me just point out that we are currently tied at 4-4 because afleitch is away and Fritz is not yet sworn in (can someone explain why that is? is the election not yet closed by the SoFA?). Wouldn't a proxy vote system have helped us a lot in such a situation? Hmm...

Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2009, 08:56:54 PM »

Let me just point out that we are currently tied at 4-4 because afleitch is away and Fritz is not yet sworn in (can someone explain why that is? is the election not yet closed by the SoFA?). Wouldn't a proxy vote system have helped us a lot in such a situation? Hmm...

Tongue

Of course you could always change your vote and deal with the problem that way. Tongue. If the vote is still going on tommorrow afternoon I will probably change my vote to abstain so we can move forward.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »

Tongue

No. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2009, 09:16:33 PM »

For consideration following the passage of the honerable Senator Purple State's Amendment.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2009, 10:05:49 PM »

I'd like to applaud the Senate for really debating this bill in depth and offering constructive amendments. I worked with Senators Marokai Blue and MaxQue to write a bill that would provide the foundation for an economy recovery, by giving much needed relief to struggling families and regional/local governments and getting the economy moving again, by employing out of work Atlasians in projects that won't just put them back to work but lead to a stronger economy and a stronger country in the long run.

I fully support Senators Purple State's and North Carolina Yankee's amendments to increase infrastructure spending, and I hope that the Senate adds them to the bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2009, 10:18:14 PM »

I'd like to applaud the Senate for really debating this bill in depth and offering constructive amendments. I worked with Senators Marokai Blue and MaxQue to write a bill that would provide the foundation for an economy recovery, by giving much needed relief to struggling families and regional/local governments and getting the economy moving again, by employing out of work Atlasians in projects that won't just put them back to work but lead to a stronger economy and a stronger country in the long run.

I fully support Senators Purple State's and North Carolina Yankee's amendments to increase infrastructure spending, and I hope that the Senate adds them to the bill.

I thank the President for his support. Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »

I thank the President for his support. Smiley

As do I and I will continue to work on this legislation to ensure that we properly stimulate the economy and ensure a proper economic recovery.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2009, 10:48:49 PM »

As my first act as Senator: Nay to the current amendment, in favor of the Purple State alternative.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2009, 11:10:25 PM »

As my first act as Senator: Nay to the current amendment, in favor of the Purple State alternative.

Bravo! Good to have the Senate full again finally.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »

And with 4-5 we wait 7 days for Afleitch who will not be back in time.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2009, 04:35:23 PM »

I will not hold up the Senate for week for no reason at all since Afleitch won't be back in time, I change my vote from Aye to Abstain.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »

With 3 Ayes, 5 Nays and 1 Abstention this amendment has failed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #73 on: July 14, 2009, 05:00:40 PM »

I believe the queue for amendments is:

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: July 14, 2009, 07:27:39 PM »

PS' amendments to Section 2 are perfectly fine amendments and I'll vote for them.

The language in clause j amendment must be cleaned up to be concise and make sense. However, it seems to be a good amendment, once again.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies