ABC News/Washington Post: Huckabee leads in 2012 GOP Primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:03:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  ABC News/Washington Post: Huckabee leads in 2012 GOP Primaries
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: ABC News/Washington Post: Huckabee leads in 2012 GOP Primaries  (Read 2338 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2009, 12:25:45 AM »

If the 2012 Republican presidential primary or caucus in your state were being held today, and the candidates were (READ LIST) for whom would you vote?

Mike Huckabee: 26%
Mitt Romney: 21%
Sarah Palin: 19%
Newt Gingrich: 10%
Tim Pawlenty: 4%
Jeb Bush: 3%
Bobby Jindal: 2%
Haley Barbour: 1%
Other: 2%
None of these: 5%
Wouldn't vote: 1%
No opinion: 6%

Palin Favorable Rating among all voters:

40% Favorable
53% Unfavorable

"Seventy percent of Republicans view her positively overall. That dives to 40 percent of independents and 20 percent of Democrats.

In challenges to her cross-border appeal, her “strong” favorability among Republicans, 41 percent, is surpassed by her strongly unfavorable rating from Democrats, 56 percent. And independents see her strongly negatively rather than strongly positively by nearly 2-1."

METHODOLOGY – This ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted by telephone July 15-18, 2009, among a random national sample of 1,001 adults, including landline and cell-phone-only respondents. Results for the full sample have a 3.5-point error margin.

http://abcnews.go.com/images/PollingUnit/1092a5Palin.pdf
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 12:26:55 AM »

Please
Please
Please
Be that stupid.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 12:36:24 AM »

At least the Huckster will allow our party to continue to solidify in the West and North...even if he does somehow...through the fluke of God...manage to win....then again, if Huck is president, the election of 2016 is probably a moot point.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 02:39:39 AM »
« Edited: July 24, 2009, 02:46:41 AM by Eraserhead »

20% of Democrats view Palin "favorably"? Umm, no.

Anyway, Huckabee is a retard but underestimate his quirky charms at your own parallel. I think he'd be a lot more appealing than Romney, Palin or Gingrich to a general election audience. Romney is a Morman and a complete stiff, Palin is eccentric and basically makes Huckabee look like a rocket scientist by comparison and Gingrich is well... Gingrich.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 02:46:16 AM »

Anyway, Huckabee is a retard but underestimate his quirky charms at your own parallel. I think he'd be a lot more appealing than Romney, Palin or Gingrich to a general election audience.
bingo he's the only candidate that could sweep working class areas against Obama. Palin would perform at McCain or below levels, Romney would do pretty badly and Gingrich would do poorly.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 05:05:57 AM »

Anyway, Huckabee is a retard but underestimate his quirky charms at your own parallel. I think he'd be a lot more appealing than Romney, Palin or Gingrich to a general election audience. Romney is a Morman and a complete stiff, Palin is eccentric and basically makes Huckabee look like a rocket scientist by comparison and Gingrich is well... Gingrich.

I always thought that those who were saying that McCain was the only candidate to make last year's election competitive were severely underestimating Huckabee.

Yes, his national security credentials were thin and his ideology was pretty scary.
But on the other hand, his personal charm and charisma would have closed the gap with Obama in that field and would have probably persuaded the suburbanites to at least give him another look.
And of course his populist rhetoric was ideally suited during the height of the financial crisis, with the first bailout passing congress etc.

And of course his nomination would have kept the base excited and involved from the beginning, allowing him to have more room to pick a moderate amd qualified running mate.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 02:14:43 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2009, 02:25:34 PM by officepark »

I always thought that those who were saying that McCain was the only candidate to make last year's election competitive were severely underestimating Huckabee.

Yes, his national security credentials were thin and his ideology was pretty scary.
But on the other hand, his personal charm and charisma would have closed the gap with Obama in that field and would have probably persuaded the suburbanites to at least give him another look.
And of course his populist rhetoric was ideally suited during the height of the financial crisis, with the first bailout passing congress etc.

And of course his nomination would have kept the base excited and involved from the beginning, allowing him to have more room to pick a moderate amd qualified running mate.

Exactly what I had in mind. Unlike McCain, Huckabee has no problems with the social conservative "base", and thus, unlike McCain, he would have no need to pick someone like Palin for running mate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »

And Huckabee scares the hell out of fiscal conservatives and those not hard right on social issues.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 02:39:14 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2009, 02:41:52 PM by officepark »

And Huckabee scares the hell out of fiscal conservatives and those not hard right on social issues.

Which is why he would select a fiscal conservative for running mate (and I mean someone who focuses on economic issues, and not someone who just happens to hold fiscal conservative views).
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 04:15:31 PM »

Which is why he would select a fiscal conservative for running mate (and I mean someone who focuses on economic issues, and not someone who just happens to hold fiscal conservative views).

Mitt?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »

Mitt?
Democrats would have a field day for attack ads with those 2 on the same ticket.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 04:17:08 PM »

Mitt?

Yeah right. Mitt wouldn't except and Huck wouldn't offer.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 04:19:43 PM »

Mitt?

*accept
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 04:25:38 PM »

Mitt?

Don't be so sure.  Mitt made it abundantly clear that he wanted to be McCain's runningmate, and it's not like their relationship was much warmer.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 05:34:26 PM »

Tim Pawlenty is the only one listed there who has a shot at not being a complete and utter disaster on the national scene.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009, 07:13:01 AM »

Exactly what I had in mind. Unlike McCain, Huckabee has no problems with the social conservative "base", and thus, unlike McCain, he would have no need to pick someone like Palin for running mate.

The "social conservative Base"  is shrinking. The VP candidate does not mean so much.

Huckabee probably wins about everything that McCain won in 2012 except for Missouri, Arizona, Montana, and the Dakotas, so the loss won't look so bad as some of the alternatives.   
DS0816
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2009, 02:33:33 PM »

…Meaningless.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »

From the Frontloading HQ blog:

Rowan
RowanBrandon