Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:49:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13
Author Topic: Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)  (Read 30541 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2009, 06:04:17 PM »

Believe it or not, NCY, I've told many people in private that you're one of my favorite Senators.

I feel sorry for those you despise, they must be completely tormented for eternity.

You shouldn't take it so personally, NCY.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2009, 08:21:49 PM »

Believe it or not, NCY, I've told many people in private that you're one of my favorite Senators.

I feel sorry for those you despise, they must be completely tormented for eternity.

You shouldn't take it so personally, NCY.

If either Senators Marokai, Fritz or anyone else feels compelled to respond to this post please do so via PM.

Its obvious someone can't read.

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »

Alright, alright enough. It's bad enough that we can't reach any sort of consensus on this bill, we don't need a full-on brawl on the Senate floor.

Yank, could you give me a quick summary, preferably clean and in a list form of where your proposals for the health care mechanism stand as of now.

Marokai, if you would provide a brief compilation of points on how you want to pay for health care reform, that would be greatly appreciated.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2009, 08:54:55 PM »

I hereby open up a vote on this amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2009, 08:59:55 PM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2009, 09:47:30 PM »

Aye

This just removes clause f? Sounds good, but a lot of work to go still.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2009, 09:58:21 PM »

Aye

This just removes clause f? Sounds good, but a lot of work to go still.

It changes a few things in the Finance section and adds a clause in the Administration section as well as striking the clause banning private care.

Aye, by the way.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2009, 10:00:54 PM »

I'm going to work on a provision that details exactly how we plan on financing this. We need some sort of CBO to score things. Perhaps the GM? Or SoFA?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #133 on: July 21, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »

I'm going to work on a provision that details exactly how we plan on financing this. We need some sort of CBO to score things. Perhaps the GM? Or SoFA?

I promise to have a more detailed response in regard to finances by the time I go to sleep. I'm just taking a bit of a break right now Tongue

(But please, no de-facto tax hikes on the poor.)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: July 21, 2009, 10:04:25 PM »

I promise to have a more detailed response in regard to finances by the time I go to sleep. I'm just taking a bit of a break right now Tongue

No, I plan on taxing benefits in a progressive fashion.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #135 on: July 21, 2009, 10:06:08 PM »

Aye
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: July 21, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »

I was hoping we could have a rough outline of where funding would come from in this bill, as well as lining out the fact that finances, personnel, and services from Medicaid and Medicare would be phased out and transferred to this new program. In doing so, we could avoid any major financial meltdown in regard to the new program for quite some time, as it would take time to implement anyway.

Because of that, I wanted to propose a separate Revenue Act that dealt with raising revenue in general, as opposed to trying to have a fight over detailed financing in this bill, taking the focus off the issue at hand.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #137 on: July 21, 2009, 10:09:11 PM »

I was hoping we could have a rough outline of where funding would come from in this bill, as well as lining out the fact that finances, personnel, and services from Medicaid and Medicare would be phased out ans transferred to this new program. In doing so, we could avoid any major financial meltdown in regard to the new program for quite some time, as it would take time to implement anyway.

Because of that, I wanted to propose a separate Revenue Act that dealt with raising revenue in general, as opposed to trying to have a fight over detailed financing in this bill, taking the focus off the issue at hand.

We can't do health care piecemeal. I don't support reform if we can't pay for it. So it takes us an extra week. It will be worth it to pass a comprehensive bill.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: July 21, 2009, 10:13:57 PM »

I was hoping we could have a rough outline of where funding would come from in this bill, as well as lining out the fact that finances, personnel, and services from Medicaid and Medicare would be phased out ans transferred to this new program. In doing so, we could avoid any major financial meltdown in regard to the new program for quite some time, as it would take time to implement anyway.

We can't do health care piecemeal. I don't support reform if we can't pay for it. So it takes us an extra week. It will be worth it to pass a comprehensive bill.

Well, the problem is we don't know where the hell we're coming from in regards to income, and other, taxes. Even if we presume sin taxes and income taxes are the same as the US right now, we've got to make changes and It would be rather frustrating to deal with raising or lowering taxes on a set of brackets that don't exist.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #139 on: July 21, 2009, 10:15:24 PM »

Well, the problem is we don't know where the hell we're coming from in regards to income, and other, taxes. Even if we presume sin taxes and income taxes are the same as the US right now, we've got to make changes and It would be rather frustrating to deal with raising or lowering taxes on a set of brackets that don't exist.

Hence the need for a CBO-equivalent.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #140 on: July 21, 2009, 10:37:38 PM »

Amendment

Section 2 shall read as follows:

I am up for recommendations to alter this before bringing it to a vote.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #141 on: July 21, 2009, 11:45:04 PM »

Hence the need for a CBO-equivalent.

Or we could make BrandonH do it.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #142 on: July 21, 2009, 11:47:19 PM »

Amendment

Section 2 shall read as follows:

I am up for recommendations to alter this before bringing it to a vote.

I'm okay with those rates, they're much lower and more manageable than Franzl's proposal. Of course, we'll need other revenue sources, but that's a good start.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #143 on: July 22, 2009, 03:26:32 AM »

Aye on the amendment.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #144 on: July 22, 2009, 07:09:59 AM »

I'd also like to remind the Senate that the income tax system is similar to the US barring a higher rate of tax for high earners to pay for education (see two Senates ago) and a 0% tax rate for low earners (see many many Senates ago Smiley )

I would hold that any system of payment must ensure that those covered by the existing 0%  rate still pay 0% on their income.

That is assuming we are linking this to income.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #145 on: July 22, 2009, 09:25:24 AM »

AYE on the amendment, and I accept Purple State's proposal.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 22, 2009, 11:59:49 AM »

Aye

With 7 Ayes, 0 Nays and 0 Abstentions this amendment has passed.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #147 on: July 22, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »

I like the intent of this bill, and indeed, universal coverage should be a goal at some point in the future. But the bigger issue is not those who aren't insured (though that is a big problem) but the people losing coverage because it's too expensive despite a middle-class income.

If you provide universal coverage through a government plan, but don't try to control the rate of increase in health care costs (without rationing), then you simply shift the problem to the government. The system cannot, and will not be sustainable if costs are not simultaneously dealt with. I realize that universal coverage helps control costs, but more must be done.

Using my great influence as Midwest Lt. Governor Roll Eyes, I urge all Senators to vote nay on this bill unless more is done to control the rising costs.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #148 on: July 22, 2009, 03:14:44 PM »

Aye, ftr
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #149 on: July 22, 2009, 05:20:17 PM »

I like the intent of this bill, and indeed, universal coverage should be a goal at some point in the future. But the bigger issue is not those who aren't insured (though that is a big problem) but the people losing coverage because it's too expensive despite a middle-class income.

If you provide universal coverage through a government plan, but don't try to control the rate of increase in health care costs (without rationing), then you simply shift the problem to the government. The system cannot, and will not be sustainable if costs are not simultaneously dealt with. I realize that universal coverage helps control costs, but more must be done.

Using my great influence as Midwest Lt. Governor Roll Eyes, I urge all Senators to vote nay on this bill unless more is done to control the rising costs.

My proposed tax on health care benefits was actually intended to do just that. I agree we will need to find additional ways to cut costs (currently reading through 5 CBO reports, so I'll be some time), but it is definitely on my list of things to do.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies