Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:02:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)  (Read 30586 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« on: July 18, 2009, 03:25:03 PM »

This bill has my full support. Like I said during the campaign, it's time that Atlasia joins the rest of the developed world and insures that every citizen has quality healthcare.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:14:05 PM »

I'm fairly opposed to keeping the current employer-provided health insurance system in place. The entire system is an accident of history, and doesn't really make any sense at all. I'd prefer not to simply to a bandaid over it by throwing around subsidies and tax breaks.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 09:32:36 PM »

I'm fairly opposed to keeping the current employer-provided health insurance system in place. The entire system is an accident of history, and doesn't really make any sense at all. I'd prefer not to simply to a bandaid over it by throwing around subsidies and tax breaks.

And what do you propose we do with all the jobs that the plan will destroy? In the middle of a major recession.

http://www.thenation.com/blogs/thebeat/396919?rel=hp_picks

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't know that this plan would destroy that very man jobs. Sure, private insurance plans would no doubt need to cut back (and I am fine with section f being removed), but private insurance companies still exist and are profitable in many countries with public insurance plans. At the same time, the government would no doubt need to hire many people to run the new program. Finally, by removing the burden of providing health insurance to employees, we would be helping out many struggling businesses, from small businesses right up to large corporations like the auto makers, which would in the long run save jobs and prevent wage cuts.

Also, if this bill does not pass and I still believe that it can, I would not sign on to any bill that did not include a robust public option available to all Atlasians, especially if it includes a mandate to buy insurance, as that would essentially amount to a health insurance company bailout.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 04:00:07 PM »

Aye

Could the honerable Senator explain what he means by "best utilised"? What do you think is a poor utilization of medical resources?

Poor utilisation of medical resources would include non reconstructive cosmetic surgery. However the example I was alluding to is that the standard of healthcare is low in Cuba despite a high number of doctors due to poor infrastructure, poor investment in medicine etc. The promotion of good health among the population can also help; encouraging children to brush their teeth, people to eat healthily etc. The government goes not have to support this of course, it can simply be a 'culture of health.'

In doctors work better if they are supported; if they have the tools to do the job. Same goes with any profession.

I agree with what you are saying. Indeed we may be facing the opposite of Cuba were we have shortfalls in the number of certain doctors, especially primary care doctors. This needs to be addressed either here or soon after cause the brunt of the new demand created by this could aggrevate that problem. Despite the fact that so many are uninsured most of the primary care doctors are overbooked.

Now, I've not actually researched this topic, so I don't know if this country has a shortage of doctors and what relevance that would have on this bill. Still, assuming this is a potential problem, it could easily averted with simple measures. For example, the government could start subsidizing more/all medical school loans. The supply of doctors would then more accurately match the quantity demanded by the nation's healthcare industry.
This is also one issue that has caused me to worry on this bill. With so many new patients, will there be enough doctors to cover them all, and will people who really need to see the Doctor have to be put on a long waiting list, even though they need to see him A.S.A.P.?

Other countries with universal health care don't have this problem, so I don't see why we would, provided we took steps to increase the number of people training to be doctors (as the Vice President suggested), modernized health information systems (as many have suggested), built new hospitals (which can be done with stimulus money), etc.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 09:14:22 PM »

And besides that, I don't think the government should be telling people that they shouldn't smoke or drink beyond a reasonable point. And a 50% tax on those activities isn't very reasonable. With alcohol especially (though with cigarettes too to a certain degree) there aren't serious life-threatening health complications unless there is frequent unhealthy use. And if someone is an alcoholic, as the honorable Midwestern Lt. Governor pointed out, a sin tax isn't going to get them to quit.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 04:15:10 PM »

I oppose the bill because it is overextending the government's power

So? Better that the insurance industry's power be overextended?

huh? Universal health care is dangerous? Seems the opposite to me...

Robbing? Well, if you don't want to fulfill your patriotic duty and pay taxes for the betterment of your country and fellow citizens, you're free to move to Somalia. You don't need to pay any taxes there! And besides, for the vast majority of Atlasians, this bill will be a net positive in their household budgets. Why is it better that they "robbed" (and by a considerably larger amount) by insurance companies?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 03:51:16 PM »

Glad to sign it. After decades of failed attempts to reform the system, Atlasia joins the rest of the developed world by providing universal healthcare to its citizens.

X Lief
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies