Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:57:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlasian National Healthcare Bill (Law'd)  (Read 30573 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: July 18, 2009, 10:29:09 AM »

I'm sorry...but under no circumstances will I accept an entirely government run single payer healthcare system.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 03:14:44 PM »

Aye, ftr
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 04:40:47 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 08:38:28 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:54:54 AM »
« Edited: July 29, 2009, 10:57:54 AM by Senator Tmthforu94 »

Aye

Could the honerable Senator explain what he means by "best utilised"? What do you think is a poor utilization of medical resources?

Poor utilisation of medical resources would include non reconstructive cosmetic surgery. However the example I was alluding to is that the standard of healthcare is low in Cuba despite a high number of doctors due to poor infrastructure, poor investment in medicine etc. The promotion of good health among the population can also help; encouraging children to brush their teeth, people to eat healthily etc. The government goes not have to support this of course, it can simply be a 'culture of health.'

In doctors work better if they are supported; if they have the tools to do the job. Same goes with any profession.

I agree with what you are saying. Indeed we may be facing the opposite of Cuba were we have shortfalls in the number of certain doctors, especially primary care doctors. This needs to be addressed either here or soon after cause the brunt of the new demand created by this could aggrevate that problem. Despite the fact that so many are uninsured most of the primary care doctors are overbooked.

Now, I've not actually researched this topic, so I don't know if this country has a shortage of doctors and what relevance that would have on this bill. Still, assuming this is a potential problem, it could easily averted with simple measures. For example, the government could start subsidizing more/all medical school loans. The supply of doctors would then more accurately match the quantity demanded by the nation's healthcare industry.
This is also one issue that has caused me to worry on this bill. With so many new patients, will there be enough doctors to cover them all, and will people who really need to see the Doctor have to be put on a long waiting list, even though they need to see him A.S.A.P.?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 08:12:42 PM »

I am pleased with the direction this bill is taking. I'll reiterate a few concerns however.

1. There needs to be a way to encourage quality over quantity. Computerizing records will help in that tests won't need to be repeated. Still, more should be done. As to what, I'm not sure.

2. Perhaps this belongs in a separate bill, but I think we need to somehow encourage healthy lifestyles. Getting people to exercise and eat healthier foods, sleep more, among other simple things can cut down on ER visits significantly, which could save lots of money down the road.

3. I realize the public insurance will help with this, but we need to get the insurance companies competing more.

4. Also, we need to ensure that businesses don't drop covering their employees over the public system, especially if their provided plan is superior.

5. I don't believe you've addressed discrimination against people for current, pre-existing, or past conditions. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm very pleased overall, though.

1. We are waiting on that

2. The only thing we could do on that is to raise the Tax on Tobacco, Alcohol, etc considerably like 50% taxation, however I doubt this Senate has a stomach for that option. I am sure there are other things we could do as well.
I'd support that.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 01:48:42 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States