Strawman Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:13:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Strawman Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: Strawman Thread  (Read 20146 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 08:01:39 PM »

All these stupid charges of racism are just getting ridiculous.  Unless you have PROOF that his comment was racist, don't claim it as such.  And I don't mean proof by his past - I mean proof as in for this circumstance.

Don't you know?  You're racist just for questioning Johnson's accusation of Wilson! 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2009, 01:47:19 PM »

It doesn't matter what our own political leanings are, we all must remember liberals are our betters.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 09:06:03 PM »

Ahhh geez.  Color me embarassed.  But come on....it was so important I mentioned it once...in a list.  How many times did I mention Korea?  Ahh, that's not important.  I mentioned Putin once so clearly the entire reason I'm against signing is Russia.  Excellent job as usual BRTD!
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2009, 03:25:44 PM »

If this happened before the Obama presidency and it consisted of protesters pretending to be killed in a war, you'd consider it to be brilliant.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2009, 05:24:25 PM »

If this happened before the Obama presidency and it consisted of protesters pretending to be killed in a war, you'd consider it to be brilliant.

not technically a strawman fallacy

which, in itself, means you just technically committed a strawman fallacy
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2009, 05:44:07 PM »

yes, because that is an economic policy that has worked before and did not result in an even worse economic downturn.

Yes, government intervention works SO well Roll Eyes
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2009, 05:45:44 PM »

Not a strawman. Try again.

Also, make sure to post the many strawmen you and Lief have posted over the years. I'm sure that'd keep you busy.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2009, 05:48:24 PM »

Also, make sure to post the many strawmen you and Lief have posted over the years. I'm sure that'd keep you busy.

Why don't you entertain us with a couple? Since you say there are so many, they should be easy to find!
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2009, 05:50:21 PM »

Why don't you entertain us with a couple? Since you say there are so many, they should be easy to find!

You actually posted one before I allegedly posted one. I don't support economic policies that 'cause worse downturns'
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2009, 05:51:24 PM »

You actually posted one before I allegedly posted one. I don't support economic policies that 'cause worse downturns'

Try something that's not actually true.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2009, 05:53:36 PM »

None of what you or Lief the Hack have said about government intervention has been true. Ever.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2009, 06:12:59 PM »

None of what you or Lief the Hack have said about government intervention has been true. Ever.

see man, this is what I was talking about when I was drunk. There has to be something better to do at 11 PM on a Saturday Night in freakin' Manchester than simply engaging in bitchfights with people you've never met thousands of miles away. And that's what it is; bitchfighting. There's no analysis, no mathematical models, simply reiterating "I'm right, and you're wrong," over and over again while hurling stupid insults. I don't see how you derive any utility from it at all. I'm just saying, in a couple of years (maybe less), you're going to really regret wasting your time on here.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2009, 06:18:04 PM »

Winston's replies here are interestingly bring up a different logical fallacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_lapidem
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2009, 06:19:45 PM »
« Edited: December 12, 2009, 06:22:20 PM by realisticidealist »

Do you know anything about even rudimentary economic theory? A nation's real gross domestic product is a function of the equilibrium between that country's short term aggregate supply (up-sloping) and aggregate demand curves (down-sloping); this equilibrium determines the price level and the economic output of the nation. Aggregate demand is equal to the sum of consumption spending, investment spending, government spending, and net export revenue. Recessions can be caused in two major ways, by aggregate demand dropping, resulting in a loss in GDP and little, if any, inflation, or by a decline in aggregate supply, which causes the GDP to decrease in addition to the price level rising; this is also known as stagflation.

In most economic recessions, including this one, the culprit has been the former. Consumption spending by the public has declined, resulting in a decline in aggregate demand. Expansionary fiscal policy works by increasing government spending and/or lowering tax rates, which increasing the aggregate demand by increasing the amount of money available for consumption spending and therefore increasing the equilibrium gross domestic product. The newly available money goes to people who then spend a percentage according to their marginal propensity to consume. This new consumption goes to businesses who, in a climate like this with large amounts of idle capital and therefore has less incentive to invest, are able to hire more people and pay them. These people then spend and so on. This is called the multiplier effect.

Government spending has a larger multiplier effect than tax decreases because tax decreases are more likely to encourage saving over spending unlike government spending. Due to this, balanced budget surplueses can occur, but it also means that government spending is more effective at getting an economy out of a recession than cutting tax rates.

It can easily be argued whether or not the spending has been allocated correctly, or if enough has been spent, or the long term deficit issues, or any number of other issues, but to say that government spending could actually hurt a non-cost-push inflated economy is absurd.

And there is a reason why this is rudimentary economic theory: it has been tried and come through many times. World War II's investment and employment spending is probably the most commonly cited example, but there are many, many more.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2009, 06:20:17 PM »

Winston's replies here are interestingly bring up a different logical fallacy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_lapidem

Yup. So do they. Tough world eh?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2009, 06:22:02 PM »

see man, this is what I was talking about when I was drunk. There has to be something better to do at 11 PM on a Saturday Night in freakin' Manchester than simply engaging in bitchfights with people you've never met thousands of miles away. And that's what it is; bitchfighting. There's no analysis, no mathematical models, simply reiterating "I'm right, and you're wrong," over and over again while hurling stupid insults. I don't see how you derive any utility from it at all. I'm just saying, in a couple of years (maybe less), you're going to really regret wasting your time on here.

I regret it now. It's not worth arguing with these mindless drones.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2009, 06:23:09 PM »

Do you know anything about even rudimentary economic theory? A nation's real gross domestic product is a function of the equilibrium between that country's short term aggregate supply (up-sloping) and aggregate demand curves (down-sloping); this equilibrium determines the price level and the economic output of the nation. Aggregate demand is equal to the sum of consumption spending, investment spending, government spending, and net export revenue. Recessions can be caused in two major ways, by aggregate demand dropping, resulting in a loss in GDP and little, if any, inflation, or by a decline in aggregate supply, which causes the GDP to decrease in addition to the price level rising; this is also known as stagflation.

In most economic recessions, including this one, the culprit has been the former. Consumption spending by the public has declined, resulting in a decline in aggregate demand. Expansionary fiscal policy works by increasing government spending and/or lowering tax rates, which increasing the aggregate demand by increasing the amount of money available for consumption spending and therefore increasing the equilibrium gross domestic product. The newly available money goes to people who then spend a percentage according to their marginal propensity to consume. This new consumption goes to businesses who, in a climate like this with large amounts of idle capital and therefore has less incentive to invest, are able to hire more people and pay them. These people then spend and so on. This is called the multiplier effect.

Government spending has a larger multiplier effect than tax decreases because tax decreases are more likely to encourage saving over spending unlike government spending. Due to this, balanced budget surplueses can occur, but it also means that government spending is more effective at getting an economy out of a recession than cutting tax rates.

It can easily be argued whether or not the spending has been allocated correctly, or if enough has been spent, or the long term deficit issues, or any number of other issues, but to say that government spending could actually hurt a non-cost-push inflated economy is absurd.

And there is a reason why this is rudimentary economic theory: it has been tried and come through many times. World War II's investment and employment spending is probably the most commonly cited example, but there are many, many more.

I'm in love.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2009, 06:24:46 PM »

Shame that he based that post on theory and not on fact. I mean MARXISM works in theory.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2009, 06:29:12 PM »

Also, at least I hold my views out of principle rather than out of actual real life circumstances like you do, Mr Handout.

Also, you've done it again. Congratulations. You're the most accomplished attention whore I've ever seen.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2009, 06:30:19 PM »

Learn what those words mean before you say them, fucktard.

You know what Boris? You're right. Screw this, I'm off to watch a movie.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2009, 07:11:58 PM »

I see Winston will be ignoring realisticidealist's post that totally owned him.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2009, 08:18:04 PM »

Already pointed out. Based on theory.

Means bugger all.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2009, 08:27:53 PM »

Shame that he based that post on theory and not on fact. I mean MARXISM works in theory.

Also, at least I hold my views out of principle rather than out of actual real life circumstances like you do, Mr Handout.

Anybody else notice the self-contradiction? LOL.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2009, 08:28:57 PM »

Already pointed out. Based on theory.

Means bugger all.

Theory that has been validated countless times in the past century throughout the world.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2009, 08:40:32 PM »

That was a short movie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies