Will there ever be a Democratic landslide again? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:29:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will there ever be a Democratic landslide again? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 130

Author Topic: Will there ever be a Democratic landslide again?  (Read 32149 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: October 11, 2004, 03:43:11 PM »

Where Democrats carry something like 44 states?

If the 2000 percentages are any frame of reference, for the Dems to win 44 states, the map would look like this...

I suppose it's possible, but very difficult (winning over 50% in Kans., Okla., S.D., etc.)

If Nixon could have run for a third term and survived watergate and dodged impeachement and the democrat was a Clintonesque style candidate, THEN I could see that happening.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 05:35:07 PM »

Opebo - When did you switch to the Democrats? Sorry, I've been away for a while.

A few weeks ago.  I've always been a Republican voter based on a lesser of two evils analysis, and have always had grave reservations about the party's social positions.  I had an epiphany during the anti-gay constitutional referendum amendment here in Missouri, in addition to some other issues.  I realized that the GOP is controlled by the Christian right, and my freedoms are greatly threatened by their agenda.  I wouldn't want to be in the same party as people like that.   The slight impositions Democrats might make on me economically seem like nothing by comparison.

That's interesting. I personally never understood the GOP's popularity, since many of its ideals (particularly those stemming from the religious right, as well the Straussian/neo-conservative wing of the party) seem to tread on the very notions of individual freedom and liberty which the United States was based on. But that's a more general thought.

I'm a conservative, and I hate freedom.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2004, 12:27:32 AM »

You're about to see the most crushing defeat of an incumbent since 1980.

Republicans are gonna be speechless.

Yes! The polls all indicate that!
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 12:43:56 AM »

Opebo - When did you switch to the Democrats? Sorry, I've been away for a while.

A few weeks ago.  I've always been a Republican voter based on a lesser of two evils analysis, and have always had grave reservations about the party's social positions.  I had an epiphany during the anti-gay constitutional referendum amendment here in Missouri, in addition to some other issues.  I realized that the GOP is controlled by the Christian right, and my freedoms are greatly threatened by their agenda.  I wouldn't want to be in the same party as people like that.   The slight impositions Democrats might make on me economically seem like nothing by comparison.

That's interesting. I personally never understood the GOP's popularity, since many of its ideals (particularly those stemming from the religious right, as well the Straussian/neo-conservative wing of the party) seem to tread on the very notions of individual freedom and liberty which the United States was based on. But that's a more general thought.

I'm a conservative, and I hate freedom.

What?  I protest.  You can't hate freedom; that's our job.

How about a hatefest? Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 12:49:13 AM »

Philip,

As the election draws nearer we will have these Democratic operatives coming on the boards claiming to be a Republican to try and sway fence sitters. Don't buy into it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 04:00:20 PM »

I'd challenge you to debate him on that.  I think you're confusing Democrat and Liberal.  In that case, Zell Miller is not a liberal, but he most certainly is a Democrat.

Zell Miller is not a Democrat (even if he claims to be one); if one looks at his voting record, one can see that he is a far right-wing conservative, socially, economically, and foreign policy wise.  He once said that if he wasn't so old that he would have switched parties.  I just thank goodness that he retired this past year.

Actually he is a true southern conservative. Something that is sadly missing from your party.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 04:31:42 PM »

In a few more election cycyles the GOP will become old, and corupt and out of ideas, while during that time the Dems will find new faces and new ideas.

In 1994 the Dems got punted from the House because after 40 years they were just, well, old and tired and corrupt and the GOP had new Ideas and new faces...

Running out of ideas? You kidding me? We haven't even struck down the whole New Deal yet!

The biggest threat to the new Republican majority is ourselves. If we forget who got us where we are, or tie ourselves to the status quo, will will lose Congress, and we will have no one but ourselves to blame.

I don't see any signs of yet, but it's something to look out for.

I agree with all of this Philip. Striking down the New Deal and "Great" Society should be key goals of a Republican Congress and Whitehouse.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2005, 08:48:50 PM »

The poverty rate was nowhere near 80%, even during the darkest depths of the Great Depression.  In his 1936 SOTU speech, FDR pegged the poverty rate at 1/3.  While that is shockingly high, especially by today's standards, it doesn't begin to approach 80%. 

Yes, the Great Depression has been way overblown by historians. The effects of the depression were very mild in the Pacific west, Northeast and parts of the midwest.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »

We'll be to broke for a presidential campaign by that point.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies