Which institutions would you prefer for France? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:18:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  Which institutions would you prefer for France? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which institutions would you prefer for France?  (Read 4833 times)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« on: July 25, 2009, 12:29:17 PM »

My wet dream:

A federal republic based on federalism in Spain, Canada, US or even Germany (or, also Scotland/Wales devolution). Redraw regions to make real regions: get rid of regions which are entirely artificial Parisian bureaucrat's creation (aka, get rid of Pays-de-la-Loire among others) and create new regions which mean something (a Region Savoie, a unified Bretagne, a unified Normandie, Poitou including historically Poitevin Vendee).

Each region would have a directly elected (PR or MMP, maybe the Scottish system) unicameral legislature with tax-raising powers, healthcare, education, transport, internal policing and security (like Canadian provinces or the states). Each region would have a Premier from the largest coalition or party, whatever the case may be. Region Bretagne, Alsace, Corse, Aquitaine should have powers over regional languages, as should regions where the Occitan language is important.

Abolish departments and general councils, they'd be useless redundancies. Keep them if you want as purely administrative and statistical entities, like the current arrondissements in France and the city of Marseille. Transfer their competences (departmental roads, RSA) to the regions.

Local government should be organized clearly and elections to local government should be done under a MMP system to give local neighborhoods a representative but keep a proportional (a real one, no 50% majority bonus crap) system somewhere in it. Encourage all communities to organize into agglomerations (communautes de communes). The Greater Paris agglomeration could double up as a full-scale region like Normandie, Corse, Savoie etc.

The Senate should be a chamber of regions, similar to the Mexican/American Senate. That is, equal representation between the regions. Something like 10 Senators by region, but all equal. Elect them via full PR.

The National Assembly should be based on populations and elected via the German system. Non-gerrymandered districts and the rest of the seats being via PR, either 3% or 5% threshold.

Senate and National Assembly should have equal powers. They would meet in Congress as they currently do. They would have powers over foreign affairs, national finances, some aspects of transportation, agriculture and fisheries, defense, environment, immigration, public security. The Prime Minister would be head of government.

The President should be a relatively powerless head of state. This would be a federal parliamentary republic.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:10:47 PM »

800 members is impossibly large. I dono't think there's a legislature in the world that large.

European Parliament had 785 members sometimes ago.

Yes, but it's Europe. 27 countries, not one country.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »

800 egomaniacs/opportunists/crooks/party hacks and secretaries are not a good idea either.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »

Roll Eyes

I'll keep it at that. I don't have time for Jacobin rhetoric.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 04:43:24 PM »

Roll Eyes

I'll keep it at that. I don't have time for Jacobin rhetoric.

Haha. "Jacobin". Actually the revolution took place 200 years ago. Grin

The attitude still prevails to this day. And always did and always will.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 04:58:39 PM »

Luckily the conservatives of cro-magnon societies didn't win! Grin

Good for you.

I'm afraid we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm not a flipflopper and nobody will convince me to change my principles, not you, not anybody.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 06:15:22 PM »

What you're talking about Antonio is rather regionalisation, something I'm not opposed to, if it isn't aimed with regionalist purposes...

Giving a little money to people outside of Paris to build little roads and have a cute little regional park isn't regionalisation.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies