Which institutions would you prefer for France? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:06:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  International What-ifs (Moderator: Dereich)
  Which institutions would you prefer for France? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which institutions would you prefer for France?  (Read 4819 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: July 26, 2009, 03:47:01 PM »

Great topic. I love institutionnal issues so much...

Give effective power to a 800-members Nationnal Assembly, elected with a nationnal proportionnal voting system, with a very low threshold ( 1% if you absolutely want it ) and preference voting to reduce parties influence. Elections occur every 3 years

The Senate would have 300 members, which 100 of them elected by commune councilors, 100 by general councilors, 100 by regional councilors. However, he would have far less power than in the current system. It's half renewed every 3 years.

The President would be elected for 5 years with the Alternative Vote system. He would have almost the same powers than during Third Republic.

The Assembly elects the President of Council every 3 years, and can depose him with a censure motion. The PoC then nominate ministers, and then is officially confirmed by the Assembly. The government can do legislative proposals, but can not restrict parliametary debates, and voting occurs when deputies decide. Deputies can also do law proposals whenever they want.

Finally, the Constitutionnal Council has 18 members, which 12 of them elected by the Assembly and 6 by the Senate. Council is renewed as 1/3 every 3 years ( 4 by Assembly and 2 by the Senate ). His members are elected with the STV. It is necessarily consulted for every law that has passed in both houses, and a law needs more than 12 favorable votes to pass.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 04:45:51 PM »

800 members is impossibly large. I dono't think there's a legislature in the world that large.

European Parliament had 785 members sometimes ago.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:37:11 AM »

800 members is impossibly large. I dono't think there's a legislature in the world that large.

European Parliament had 785 members sometimes ago.

Yes, but it's Europe. 27 countries, not one country.

The population of a State has very few to do with the number of members of its parliament. USA are five times more populous than France, but have only 435 representatives !
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 12:47:22 PM »

No, that is because hundred years ago 435 members were relatively representative of the US people. But then the population has dramatically increased, and House of Representative doesn't represent anything. The poor number of parliamentaries in the USA are one of its greatest failures.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »

Yeah, and that is ridiculous for the second most populous country in the world.
More MPs means population being represented better. Until you don't have 5000 MPs, it perfectly works.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 03:42:21 PM »

800 people like this are less dangerous than 400, and 400 are still less dangerous than 1.
More people, more democracy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 05:46:36 PM »

Personally, I think regionalism could be a good thing, but not federalism. We definitely are one country and "federalism" will result in increasingsing inequalities between regions, when an united country ( not an ultra-centralized ne as in the 60's, but still a strong State ) could regulate things better.
That being said, I'm strongly Anti-nationalist and pro-european. I think today's nations are too small to weigh something internationally, but the right way to get rid of Nations in more unity, not more divisions.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2009, 07:35:14 AM »

What you're talking about Antonio is rather regionalisation, something I'm not opposed to, if it isn't aimed with regionalist purposes...

Giving a little money to people outside of Paris to build little roads and have a cute little regional park isn't regionalisation.

Oh ya, I personally wouldn't be opposed to extended powers to regions, I could even be open minded to some more or less federalism. I'm just fed the hell up by "regionalism", by regionalism I mean the matter of old identities/cultures because I find it a waste of time to try to make live something that have been more or less killed, or just to try to make something survive just in order to make it survive, a waste of time and a miss of perspectives. Don't know whether this is to be called Jacobinism or not, but I think I already explained myself on that matter...

Totally agreed.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies