2012 Democratic Primaries
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:51:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 Democratic Primaries
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Assuming that all of these canidates run, who would you vote for?
Barack Obama
Mark Warner
Hillary Clinton
Dennis Kucinich
Write-In Canidate (Your Choice)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: 2012 Democratic Primaries  (Read 5017 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 11:51:27 PM »

Obama 69,498,952
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2009, 05:46:44 AM »

Hillary Clinton the one who won the popular vote in 2008.

Clinton: 18,045,829
Obama: 18,107,587

(Going off of this sites numbers)

Barack Obama:17,628,560
Hillary Clinton: 18,055,516

It's complicated though. It all depends on what you figure in. Personally, I don't count caucus states, as they are more inaccurate.

Uh, what?
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2009, 10:45:14 AM »

POTUS
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2009, 10:57:39 AM »

There isn't going to be a Democratic Primary.......but Obama ( normal)
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2009, 01:34:35 PM »

Voting closes on Friday, 9-12 PM East Coast US time. I decided to make it a little longer than I had planned, due to the large amount of voters. From there, we will proceed over th weekend through the National Conventions for both the Republican and Democratic Primaries. I'll explain more come Wednesday.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2009, 10:02:05 PM »

As I have said previously, the voting will end on Friday. At that point, I will open up the conventions. There, we will be a delegation vote, each of which will last two days, eliminating the previous canidate with the least number of votes, until one of the canidates achieves a two-thirds majority. Once Canidates have been determined, there will be a Vice-Presidential nomination, but we'll get to that later. For now, keep voting. And Thank You for expressing interest.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2009, 10:19:36 PM »

Republicans gotta be kidding if they think the recession getting worse will allow them to make gains in 2010.

The Great Depression went far into FDR's tenure with little to no improvement and the Democrats managed to survive because they still were able to keep the blame on the GOP.  This recession will still be seen as the effects of the Bush recession even if it's under Obama.

Also, when it comes to Congress, the incumbents--even during bad times and especially in the House--are almost always still favored because Americans have a tendency to believe that "it's the other Congressmen who are screwing up and not mine."

I agree.

But for the purposes of this scenario, I probably will have to go with this:
Warner. he's the moderate god.

Yeah. I thought the political climate under Bush was gorey. If we need someone who will keep EVERYONE from being crazy, he's our man. Then again, everyone could be going NUTS.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2009, 12:08:06 PM »

It's complicated though. It all depends on what you figure in. Personally, I don't count caucus states, as they are more inaccurate.

Uh, what?

Translation: Clinton won the popular vote if you ignore large amounts of Obama's vote total. *shocked*
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »

Uh, what?

Translation: Clinton won the popular vote if you ignore large amounts of Obama's vote total. *shocked*

Owned
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 12:23:35 PM »

Regardless, it was close enough that he should have picked Clinton for vice President. Particularly for a guy who was supposedly running on reconciliation and unity and a new kind of politics- he just had to let the bitterness of the campaign lock her out of the ticket. That was one of my major disappointments with him, though I was pretty mute about it at the time because I didn't want to damage his chances of winning the general.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 12:27:15 PM »

Regardless, it was close enough that he should have picked Clinton for vice President. Particularly for a guy who was supposedly running on reconciliation and unity and a new kind of politics- he just had to let the bitterness of the campaign lock her out of the ticket. That was one of my major disappointments with him, though I was pretty mute about it at the time because I didn't want to damage his chances of winning the general.

Well considering that she got the Secretary of State position, I say no hard feelings.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2009, 01:05:41 PM »

It doesn't sound like it was bitterness at all so much as worries about what effect Bill Clinton would have as the husband of a potential running mate or Vice President.  Before giving her State, there were complicated negotiations over his role in the world and looking at his foundation's donors.  It would have been leaked if she were considered for VP (as it was for State, probably by her people) and it would have made any VP rollout, Hillary or otherwise, super sticky.  Reports of Obama's deliberations on VP suggest he considered Hillary late into the process.

Do you have a link to this? The news reports I remember claimed that she was not even considered for VP. McCain even made an ad about it. In fact, it would have been better if it had seemed like an agonizing decision, but that is not how it was reported. Further, the announcement was sent out at 3am, which seemed to some like a juvenile jab about the primaries.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

True, no one is contesting his right to pick Biden. But Tsongas and Brown were never that much threats to Clinton. A better comparison would be Ford/Reagan in '76.

Actually, most pundits were expecting him to pick Kaine, Bayh, or Biden, so there was no overwhelming pressure or even particular pressure for him to pick Clinton. Clinton was trading at like 10 in Intrade. Had he picked her, it would have look magnanimous, not weak. His position of strength was indisputable at that point. By not picking her he looked like a sore winner. It would have been another thing, again, if Biden had been a spectacular VP, but mostly he has distinguished himself for his trademark 'gaffes'. He has lower favorables than historical VPs. It's not clear what he added to the ticket. All the talk about him being dropped in 2012 speaks for itself.

Well, we might have been spared Palin, for one Wink. Also, there is the matter that Clinton's profile as SoS was very low until a Politico article about a month ago that claimed she was being pushed aside in the administration. The article was later picked up widely in the MSM. I have no idea whether it was a real story or whether the media is just making things up (as the administration claims), but it certainly feeds into a continuing tension. We'll see what happens as things move forward.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2009, 04:22:10 PM »

Alright, we have got our canidates, and voting is done. Onto the convention!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies