The Davis Decision
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:06:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Davis Decision
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: The Davis Decision  (Read 16574 times)
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »

Comments would be very much appreciated.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2010, 11:41:01 PM »

Interesting twist with Fitzhugh Lee becoming President. I wouldn't have expected it.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the next update. Smiley
Historico
United States

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »

"Save your Confederate Money boys, The South is risin' agin!!!", Idk what to expect for a Fitzhug Presidency, I really didn't see anything that said he was a stauch proponet of Jim Crow so he might govern pretty moderatley. Also the nomination of a Southern Democrat may take the wind out of the Populist movement, which drew alot of votes from White Southern Farmers outside of their stronghold of the midwest...Keep it comming
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2010, 06:26:47 PM »

By the way for those of you confused as to how a former Confederate general could win an antebellum presidential election it is bcause oviously there was a huge split in the Republican party but also because Lee was an incredibly pro-American individual following the end of the war, despite his actions during the war, also for the short time he was in office he was considered a very strong Governor.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2010, 06:34:15 PM »

By the way for those of you confused as to how a former Confederate general could win an antebellum presidential election it is bcause oviously there was a huge split in the Republican party but also because Lee was an incredibly pro-American individual following the end of the war, despite his actions during the war, also for the short time he was in office he was considered a very strong Governor.

Will this split survive and fragment into separate parties, or will the Republicans re-unite in time for the next election?

Keep up the good work coming up with ideas btw.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: April 11, 2010, 06:35:03 PM »

Will this split survive and fragment into separate parties, or will the Republicans re-unite in time for the next election?

Frankly I have not decided for sure. 
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2010, 12:24:09 AM »

I like it so far. Smiley Keep up the good work.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2010, 07:40:05 PM »

I should be putting up an update within the next few days, any comments before hand? Wink
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2010, 06:31:49 PM »

I will try to update through 1890 tonight but does anyone else have any comments?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2010, 08:33:42 PM »

Great TL, looking forward to the next update.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »

Well I think that the time has come that instead of starting a new timeline I will simply return to this one.  I will begin writing an 1889 update over the coming days but does anyone have any comments on what has already happened?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #86 on: May 28, 2012, 02:14:02 PM »

Well I think that the time has come that instead of starting a new timeline I will simply return to this one.  I will begin writing an 1889 update over the coming days but does anyone have any comments on what has already happened?

Why did you abandon this, out of curiousity?  And was there some sort of absence that prevented you from continuing this for 2 years?
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: May 28, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »

Why did you abandon this, out of curiousity?  And was there some sort of absence that prevented you from continuing this for 2 years?

At the time I simply lost interest in it sadly
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: May 28, 2012, 08:40:54 PM »

At the time I simply lost interest in it sadly

Don't get me wrong; I've read it and it's great, and I look forward to seeing it continue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #89 on: May 28, 2012, 08:43:10 PM »

Cool stuff!
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »

1889: The South has Risen Again!

President Fitzhugh Lee is inaugurated into the White House on March 4th, 1889.  In his inaugural address President Lee makes a point out the fact that the time has come for the nation to come together once again and for the Unionists and Confederates to once again reconcile together along with the desire for the nation's reach to extend even further South outside of Hispaniola.  However soon after the inauguration people begin to once again suspect his loyalty and that of fellow former Confederate with the rise of many former Confederates into positions of power, specifically the new Speaker of the House Charles Frederick Crisp and new Attorney General Lucius Q. C. Lamar.

Speaker Charles Crisp

With these fears in mind, many Americans begin to wonder if President Lee truly has their best interests at heart.  In the Senate the Republicans still maintain a majority though the Democrats still have gained a majority in the US House.  Due to this few measures in the Congress were passed at a very fast rate excluding the bipartisan Sherman Antitrust Act which President Lee proved to be a vigorous defender of, despite it having the name of a political opponent in its name.  In the Senate President Pro Tempore John Sherman also attempted to push through Civil Rights legislation to attempt to empower Southern blacks both in voting and in legal proceedings however both Speaker Crisp and President Lee vow to strike down such legislation and repeatedly succeed in doing so with President Lee going so far as to proclaim, "So long as I am President no negro will be given an equal vote to a white man.  Whether they are slaves or not, they are still lesser men."  With these words he quickly ends any hopes for civil rights legislation.

Meanwhile President Lee made plans for another expansion of America and convinced Speaker Crisp to push through a bill expanding the U.S. navy, what for no one was exactly sure.  Nonetheless, the next couple years under President Fitzhugh Lee would certainly prove interesting to future historians.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2012, 10:36:07 PM »

HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2012, 12:28:05 AM »

I'm hoping to have another update up soon.  Anyone else have comments for me?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2012, 04:01:37 PM »

I'm reading. Smiley I just have to comment, wasn't Blaine corrupt in OTL? And thus, I have a hard time seeing him as a symbol of principle in a partisan party or whatever.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: June 02, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »

I'm reading. Smiley I just have to comment, wasn't Blaine corrupt in OTL? And thus, I have a hard time seeing him as a symbol of principle in a partisan party or whatever.

He often campaigned as a holier-than-thou, which got him in trouble with the higher national scrutiny of a presidential bid.  He was a halfbreed as well, opposing Grant's bid in 80 in part (and publicly, mostly because) of his sketchy time in office
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: June 02, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »

He was supposedly alot like Grant, someone who wasn't personally corrupt but surrounded themselves with people who were.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »

He was supposedly alot like Grant, someone who wasn't personally corrupt but surrounded themselves with people who were.

The difference being (at least to the best of my knowledge), Grant didn't try to deny it, while Blaine borrowed his head in the sand.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2012, 01:23:49 AM »

The difference being (at least to the best of my knowledge), Grant didn't try to deny it, while Blaine borrowed his head in the sand.

Sounds about right.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies