Harry Reid 08?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:15:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Harry Reid 08?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Harry Reid 08?  (Read 4966 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 21, 2004, 01:24:23 AM »

He's a rising power in the Democratic senate and set to become Minority Leader.  This obviously means that he'll wield a lot of influence and gain many connections that would allow him to make a successful run through the primaries.  Plus, Nevada's becoming a much more influential state every day.

He has a record of working with both parties, is known as a moderate, and pro-life (voted to ban overseas and partial-birth abortions).  He's been in the Senate since 1986.  He actually has a good "log cabin" type story, being born in a small rural mining town and being raised in a primitive sort of cabin.  Father was a miner, Mother never completed high school, that type of story which seems to help politicians (Edwards and Gephardt couldn't shut up about theirs).

As a side note, I was hoping Kerry would choose him as his VP earlier this year, since I thought Reid, unlike Edwards, would actually be able to deliver his home state.  The smaller the state, the larger the "home-state" advantage is, since the candidate seems more local.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2004, 07:10:53 AM »

Lets see how the next two years go... if he leads the Senate Dems well and they make solid gains in 2006 he could be in a very good position.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2004, 08:31:11 AM »

It would be far better to go with an ex-governor.  A pro-life nominee is going to have a real problem winning the D nomination.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2004, 08:33:08 AM »

He's a rising power in the Democratic senate and set to become Minority Leader.  This obviously means that he'll wield a lot of influence and gain many connections that would allow him to make a successful run through the primaries.  Plus, Nevada's becoming a much more influential state every day.

He has a record of working with both parties, is known as a moderate, and pro-life (voted to ban overseas and partial-birth abortions).  He's been in the Senate since 1986.  He actually has a good "log cabin" type story, being born in a small rural mining town and being raised in a primitive sort of cabin.  Father was a miner, Mother never completed high school, that type of story which seems to help politicians (Edwards and Gephardt couldn't shut up about theirs).

As a side note, I was hoping Kerry would choose him as his VP earlier this year, since I thought Reid, unlike Edwards, would actually be able to deliver his home state.  The smaller the state, the larger the "home-state" advantage is, since the candidate seems more local.

Possibly, though his age is starting to work against him. He'd be a great President though.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2004, 09:50:21 AM »

It would be far better to go with an ex-governor.  A pro-life nominee is going to have a real problem winning the D nomination.

Bayh, Rendell and Warner are far more pro-life than either Kerry or Edwards and all three would be very competive in any race for the Democratic nomination.

Abortion is an issue where the Poltical centre has shifted in a more conservative direction and the Democrats will have to deal with this, senators such as Bayh positions on the issue are very reflective of most Americans, being personally opposed to abortion and voting to restrict it but at the same time arguing that it has to remain legal so that firstly in extreme circumstances pregnancies can be aborted and to prevent woman resorting to “back-alley abortions”… it’s the most reasonable position in my books and its one shared by the majority of Americans.     

Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2004, 11:31:20 AM »

Possibly, though his age is starting to work against him. He'd be a great President though.

His website doesn't say how old he is.  From the other dates, I gather he's around 64..is that correct?
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2004, 12:07:46 PM »

remember when another 'moderate' senate democrat leader was contemplating a run for the presidency.  it turns out, he should have been shoring up his reelection in south dakota instead.

maybe harry reid will suffer the same fate.  we can hope!!
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2004, 12:16:51 PM »

remember when another 'moderate' senate democrat leader was contemplating a run for the presidency.  it turns out, he should have been shoring up his reelection in south dakota instead.

He won't run and he's safe where he is, unlike Daschle.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2004, 12:19:48 PM »

safe?  winning by 300 votes is safe?
Minarchist
Rookie

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2004, 12:52:05 PM »

No pro-lifer is going to get the Democratic nomination in our lifetimes.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2004, 01:32:29 PM »

South Dakota is a bit different from Nevada.  I predict Nevada will lean Democrat in 08.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2004, 05:22:47 PM »

He won by a lot more than that this year
Hermit
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2004, 03:23:20 PM »

His website doesn't say how old he is.  From the other dates, I gather he's around 64..is that correct?
65, actually. Close! Smiley
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2004, 07:19:01 PM »

No more senators for president! Except for Evan Bayh Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 09:09:28 PM »

No more senators for president! Except for Evan Bayh Smiley

Evan Bayh is the One Special Exception(tm) Smiley

(although this Reid fellow doesn't sound like much of a failure, either Smiley)
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2004, 11:45:04 AM »

If Reid had been the VP pick, the Democrats would have lost both his seat and Edward's...

If the '06 Senate midterms prove successful for the Democrats, he could have a shot at it (as he might be credited at least partially with its success).  Although of course if the '06 Senate midterms go well for the Democrats, then he'll be up against more serious opposition for the nomination.

Lose-lose, really.  Put him down as a long-shot dark horse.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2004, 01:10:44 PM »

Lose-lose, really.  Put him down as a long-shot dark horse.

I'd agree, but then again even if things go well in 2006, the GOP will almost certianly still hold the Senate even if by a reduced margin and Reid really doesn't want the nomination, don't think its even crossed his mind... let him get on with his job i say. 
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2004, 02:05:09 PM »

Maybe for VP. A Bayh-Reid ticket would be painful. Reid's a Democrat that I can respect and I'd vote for him over a Chaffee/Jeffords-type any time.
zachman

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2004, 02:34:55 PM »

Reid did well on Meet the Press this morning. He's a maverick voice and it is certainly a good thing to have a non-pro-choice Democratic leader. He in many ways is nearly perfect. He's a mormon and a Democrat. He's from the West. He's a populist. He doesn't have too close ties to the DLC like Bayh. I'll put him on my top four wish list (Bredensen, Warner, Feingold and Reid). On the down side, he is a Senator and being the Democrat's Senate leader for four years may create some issues and he could become unpopular.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2004, 04:35:07 PM »

He's really liked in his state.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length