Can Pres. Clinton be Kerry's VP? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:34:50 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Can Pres. Clinton be Kerry's VP? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can Pres. Clinton be Kerry's VP?  (Read 23657 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: March 04, 2004, 07:59:52 AM »

There are three ways to become vice president
Way one: Election by the Electors
Way two: Election by the Senate (not House)
Way three: Selection to fill a vacancy during the term

Way two is obviously not accessible for Bill Clinton, everybody here has agreed to that.
That way one might be accessible is an absurd proposition: What if Bill and Ronald Reagan are the Dem and Rep candidates, the election goes to the Senate, and the Senators can only vote for the top two vote-getters but not for either of them?
That leaves way three though, I'd have to read the applicable amendments closely; I guess I'll do just that. It would be the intention of those 1960s amenders we'd have to look into here, not that of the 1800s amenders...

And just because somwbody writes a legal paper don't mean anything at all. You'd need to show me a court decision.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 08:07:25 AM »

There are three ways to become vice president
Way one: Election by the Electors
Way two: Election by the Senate (not House)
Way three: Selection to fill a vacancy during the term

Way two is obviously not accessible for Bill Clinton, everybody here has agreed to that.
That way one might be accessible is an absurd proposition: What if Bill and Ronald Reagan are the Dem and Rep candidates, the election goes to the Senate, and the Senators can only vote for the top two vote-getters but not for either of them?
That leaves way three though, I'd have to read the applicable amendments closely; I guess I'll do just that. It would be the intention of those 1960s amenders we'd have to look into here, not that of the 1800s amenders...

And just because somwbody writes a legal paper don't mean anything at all. You'd need to show me a court decision.

It gets even worse:
It could be argued that Clinton might be appointed to fill a vacancy in the Vice Presidency, but could not become president again anyways...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 04:18:59 AM »

I believe all tied candidates would be on the ballot.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 05:22:00 AM »

Looking at the text again, I guess you're right. Two parties tied for second place would thus mean that House and Senate could each choose among three candidates.
But what if three parties tie for second place?
Say-
Rep 268
Dem 90
Green 90
Moore (ind) 90
Then they'd have to vote for Bush for president but would have four options for VP!?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies