Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:10:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27
Author Topic: Gay Marriage/Civil Unions in 10 years  (Read 68450 times)
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2009, 10:04:55 AM »
« edited: April 07, 2009, 10:09:11 AM by XPostFactor99 »

Vermont house just voted to override Douglas' veto by a vote of 100 to 49.

SODOMY IN THE USA
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2009, 10:17:28 AM »

Vermont house just voted to override Douglas' veto by a vote of 100 to 49.

Douglas is a horrible person and needs to be eliminated next election. At least the moron was rendered irrelevant.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »

Veto Override Vote
House: 100-49
Senate: 23-5

Gay marriage is now legal in Vermont.
http://www.wcax.com/global/story.asp?s=10143110
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #103 on: April 07, 2009, 10:49:13 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2009, 10:55:01 AM by Verily »

Most interesting because it was the first legislative legalization. And probably paves the way for a similar vote in New Hampshire soon, and maybe also in Rhode Island once Chafee is governor. No idea about Maine, but the push to legalize same-sex marriage throughout New England seems to be proceeding rapidly ahead of schedule.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #104 on: April 07, 2009, 11:12:02 AM »

First time gay marriage has come through the legislative process in the US, and overriding a veto at that.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #105 on: April 07, 2009, 11:15:24 AM »

I bet there is going to be an initiative to get it on the ballot? Or is that not possible?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #106 on: April 07, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2009, 11:38:47 AM by Einzige »

First time gay marriage has come through the legislative process in the US, and overriding a veto at that.

And let us all take this opportunity to issue a hearty "f**k you" to the dictatorial twat who made this override necessary with his Imperial Edict in the first place.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: April 07, 2009, 11:26:49 AM »

I bet there is going to be an initiative to get it on the ballot? Or is that not possible?

Why bother? Vermont would just vote 60% against the referendum anyway.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: April 07, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »

And let us all take this opportunity to issue a hearty " you" to the dictatorial twat who made this override necessary with his Imperial Edict in the first place.

LOL, the viralness of the pro-gay activists against anyone who doesn't agree with them is really amazing. If most of them weren't such aholes, there would be more states with gay marriage by now.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: April 07, 2009, 11:34:05 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2009, 11:39:12 AM by Einzige »

And let us all take this opportunity to issue a hearty " you" to the dictatorial twat who made this override necessary with his Imperial Edict in the first place.

LOL, the viralness of the pro-gay activists against anyone who doesn't agree with them is really amazing. If most of them weren't such aholes, there would be more states with gay marriage by now.

Go ram it up your ass. I'm not a 'pro-gay activist', you pansy; I'm a libertarian, which is what the Republican Party used to be before it was hijacked by the Christian Taliban. I believe in the freedom of choice and in the liberty of the will for all men, and that all are entitled to pursue their interests in life without bowing to useless religious strictures.

I don't have to be pleasant to anyone who doesn't believe in the absolute sovereignty of the individual.

EDIT: And by the way, idiot? It's virulence, f**ktard.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: April 07, 2009, 11:46:46 AM »
« Edited: April 07, 2009, 11:52:53 AM by Einzige »

Go ram it up your ass. I'm not a 'pro-gay activist', you pansy; I'm a libertarian, which is what the Republican Party used to be before it was hijacked by the Christian Taliban. I believe in the freedom of choice and in the liberty of the will for all men, and that all are entitled to pursue their interests in life without bowing to useless religious strictures.

I don't have to be pleasant to anyone who doesn't believe in the absolute sovereignty of the individual.

EDIT: And by the way, idiot? It's virulence, f**ktard.

You're not a libertarian, you're a government enthusiast.  Ask yourself this: why is marriage, a sacred institution, being encroached upon by the government?  A true libertarian would advocate for the repeal of all marriage laws.

Marriage isn't a 'sacred institution'. In its earliest days it was a contractual arrangement between tribes to settle disputes and trade property.

And being an actual libertarian - a left-libertarian, or classical anarchist - I do not mind the utilization of the State in pursuance of freedom when no other option is available. Taking a direct vote on the matter would also have been using the government. Liberty first, then the dissolution of the State. What matters to me above all is that men are treated as rational beings capable of choosing their own fates, not some mind-numbed crusade against all authority. The Bill of Rights is also a government-mandated list of liberties, and one that I am quite happy to have (although I should like to see it expanded).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #111 on: April 07, 2009, 12:13:28 PM »

I'm not a pro-gay enthusiast. As a matter of fact, I was a little uneasy with the concept of gay marriage.

But thanks to the vile and hateful opposition of troglodytes like you and your childhood heroes (Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, James Dobson, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly), I now fully support marriage equality by whatever means, legislative or judicial.     
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: April 07, 2009, 01:01:19 PM »

DC just voted today to recognize foreign and domestic same-sex marriages. (DC can't actually legalize same-sex marriage without the permission of Congress. Where they have no representation. Yay, democracy!)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #113 on: April 07, 2009, 01:02:37 PM »

I'm not a pro-gay enthusiast. As a matter of fact, I was a little uneasy with the concept of gay marriage.

But thanks to the vile and hateful opposition of troglodytes like you and your childhood heroes (Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson, James Dobson, Rush Limbaugh, Bill O'Reilly), I now fully support marriage equality by whatever means, legislative or judicial.     

I'm as big of a proponent of gay marriage as there can be, but that's a nonsense reason to support it.

Then again, Rowan's reason -- if it isn't true -- is equally as disappointing.  Amazing how both sides manage to see the other as so much more insidious, but would totally be super sympathetic to the opponents if they weren't such a-holes. Tongue
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: April 07, 2009, 01:12:40 PM »

Its Vermont, even if it finds its way to the ballot, it would go down in flames.  Douglas just lost re-election if he runs again because of this.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #115 on: April 07, 2009, 01:14:25 PM »
« Edited: April 07, 2009, 02:37:56 PM by Torie »

I'm as big of a proponent of gay marriage as there can be, but that's a nonsense reason to support it.

Then again, Rowan's reason -- if it isn't true -- is equally as disappointing.  Amazing how both sides manage to see the other as so much more insidious, but would totally be super sympathetic to the opponents if they weren't such a-holes. Tongue

That reminds me of my brother voting in favor of California selling bonds to get into the embryonic stem cell research business.  I told my brother that the proposal made zero sense. California is not suited for that task, and it should be done on a national basis, since otherwise California to the extent anything of scientific value comes out of the research (doubtful), would be subsidizing the other 49 states despite some chatter about patents and all.

What was my brother's response? Well, it was something along the lines that I don't give a f__k about that; I just want to screw the pro life nutters and religious fundamentalists every chance I get!

It kind of reminds me of our very own BRTD!  Smiley

And so it goes. Sad
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/07/dc-recognizes-gay-marriage/

DC decided to recognize gay marriage certificates given in other states
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2009, 01:42:46 PM »

Its Vermont, even if it finds its way to the ballot, it would go down in flames.  Douglas just lost re-election if he runs again because of this.

Douglas really had a sweet deal going. I'm disappointed that he would throw his political career away by vetoing this. I used to think he was fairly reasonable. Sad
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2009, 01:44:27 PM »

Douglas really had a sweet deal going. I'm disappointed that he would throw his political career away by vetoing this. I used to think he was fairly reasonable. Sad

You would rather him throw away personal values for political gain? Isn't that whats wrong with politics nowadays?
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2009, 01:45:03 PM »

You would rather him throw away personal values for political gain? Isn't that whats wrong with politics nowadays?

When his 'personal values' are at loggerheads with the American concept of freedom and liberty, he can burn in Hell.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »

When his 'personal values' are at loggerheads with the American concept of freedom and liberty, he can burn in Hell.

It's funny how violent you are. You want to be for equal rights but want people who disagree with you to burn in Hell. The hypocrisy is mind-blowing.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2009, 01:48:39 PM »

who cares.  He delayed the bill like, what, two weeks?  

This sort of thing could positively impact the odds of getting Democratic governors in states like HI, CA, CT, RI, as well as VT since it demonstrates the partisan influence a governor could have  during the campaign.  On the converse, it isn't likely to affect Democratic governorships of red and purple states as the conservative state legislatures are unlikely to try to pass a gay marriage bill.  

Previously gay marriage had only been implemented by "activist judges" -- something the governor has very little to do with
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2009, 02:15:54 PM »

It's funny how violent you are. You want to be for equal rights but want people who disagree with you to burn in Hell. The hypocrisy is mind-blowing.

Did I ever call to restrict the marriage rights of homophobes, you greasy little worm? No. I oppose you vehemently, but only because your stupidity deserves opposition.
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2009, 02:17:34 PM »

Previously gay marriage had only been implemented by "activist judges" -- something the governor has very little to do with

"Activist judges" are a right-wing myth.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2009, 02:18:13 PM »

Did I ever call to restrict the marriage rights of homophobes, you greasy little worm? No. I oppose you vehemently, but only because your stupidity deserves opposition.

Me stupid? You're the one telling someone you never met to burn in Hell. Stay classy.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies