Is opposing interracial marriage racist? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 10:43:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Is opposing interracial marriage racist? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Is opposing interracial marriage racist?  (Read 2791 times)
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: April 01, 2016, 10:13:23 AM »

Yes, it is racist, but if it's a dying ethnicity or ethno-religion, I give those who oppose exogamy more of a pass.

If you personally don't want to marry someone of a different race, that's fine (though at least open your mind to the possibility), but opposing others having interracial marriage is problematic.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »

There's a difference between not wanting to marry someone just because they're black (or white, or Asian, or whatever "race") and not wanting to marry someone of a different ethnicity because you want to preserve your culture and your heritage, and someone of a differemt background would simply not be able to relate things that are extremely important to yo. The first case can be racist (but if it's just about attraction and not rationalized on the basis of race, then it is not, obviously), the second is definitely not.

Am mixed myself, by the way, but wouldn't marry a non-Jew myself (but I don't care whether she's Ashkenazi, Mizrahi, Ethiopian or something else).

Like I said, I'm less opposed to certain ethno-religions preferring to keep families in the religion/ethnicity, though they shouldn't excommunicate or otherwise kick out people who don't marry within the group. The smaller the ethno-religion is (to a certain extent, I wouldn't want inbreeding), the less objectionable it is.

And the fact that you'd marrying any variety of Jewish person, regardless of ethnicity, makes it a little less objectionable.

My faith isn't also an ethnicity, but I would prefer to marry a Mormon, of any ethnicity. But considering where I live, the most likely candidate for someone I can actually meet is probably white. Even though I'm attracted to white, black, Hispanic, Asian, and other women.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 09:15:45 PM »

Generally, I'd say it's racist along the same lines as what dead0man said (and so many others also agreed with). Ethnoreligions are a tougher case; I'm generally inclined to give much more latitude, especially since I'm the living result of what happens when an ethnoreligious line of descent gets shunted off from one side of a family and spawns a bunch of confused, displaced, [Inks]ed-up descendants.

Yet ethnoreligion, at least amongst whites is pretty much a dead concept in the Upper Midwest and I don't see it causing us any problems.

And, as we all know, if it doesn't cause you any problems, then it couldn't possibly cause problems for or upset anyone. Also, I'm referring to Judaism, BRTD.

And as I've explained to DavidB are also incredibly assimilated here and outmarry with no controversy. Actually come to think of it every married Jew I know except one is married to a non-Jew,  and the one exception is not bothered at all by her son's engagement to a non-Jew.

Your anecdotal experience means nothing.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:24:42 AM »

I don't know. I don't really have a problem with it, but I don't know if it is racist.  Some people like it for their fellow people to stick with their race. They say it makes society probably cleaner. After what happened in Dallas last night, you may see a decline in interracial marriage.

Uh..... Those people who want their "fellow people to stick with their race"? They're not people that should be listened to.

EDIT: Excluding the members of actually demographically challenged groups, like the discussion we had on Jewish inter-marriage earlier.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies