Question for Republicans (regarding Texas)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:05:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Question for Republicans (regarding Texas)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who do you support in the Republican primary for governor?
Kay Hutchison

Rick Perry

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Question for Republicans (regarding Texas)  (Read 4738 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2010, 09:30:28 PM »

I am just so happy I don't live in Texas, and that goes beyond politics.  So many nutters, so little time.  The GOP platforms there that the rank and file adopt, always make for interesting reading. Tongue
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2010, 10:25:49 PM »

I am just so happy I don't live in Texas, and that goes beyond politics.  So many nutters, so little time.  The GOP platforms there that the rank and file adopt, always make for interesting reading. Tongue

Hey, you know what they say, don't mess with Texas Tongue ha jk - I actually agree with you 100%. 

I'd choose Kay Bailey Hutchison over Rick Perry simply because she's more moderate and doesn't play to the fringe right-wing/teabaggers of the party and doesn't advocate loony positions like secession and guns in preschools lol
ScottM

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: 4.35

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2010, 12:10:31 AM »

It seems to me that Medina should have been an option in the poll. Her polling numbers are definitely on the rise. She's got a significant base.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2010, 12:23:07 AM »

I feel the same about California, oddly enough...  Tongue

Look - it isn't out of the realm of possibility for Hutchinson to finish 3rd in this primary. 

In fact, I might be willing to place money on that (with a certain spread) if Indys and Dems couldn't play in the GOP primary. 

Now that I think about it, I might bet on it anyway, considering the horrible campaign she's run so far and the fact that I doubt most Dems really care (and Texas Indys are an odd lot).
perdedor

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2010, 02:26:41 PM »

Perry is a secessionist nutcase, therefore any self respecting Republican would throw him under the bus and go with the empty pantsuit. The sad part is that, regardless of who wins the primary (which I imagine will be Perry knowing a thing or two about conservatives in Texas), they'll finish on top in the general. It's a sad thing too, Bill White was a fantastic mayor and would be a great governor, but this is Texas and it's going to be a Republican year. Therefore, it will likely have been a waste. Unfortunate timing for White.
Max Electric
Rookie
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2010, 02:44:40 AM »

If I were a Republican, I'd support Hutchison simply because she can't lose in the general.

This. And also, she isn't a whacko and is generally more realistic, pragmatic if not more moderate.

I'd support Hutchison because she doesn't talk about secession, and generally seems the more moderate of the two.

Oh, and that whole HPV vaccination thing...
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010, 03:35:37 AM »

Perry is a secessionist nutcase, therefore any self respecting Republican would throw him under the bus and go with the empty pantsuit. The sad part is that, regardless of who wins the primary (which I imagine will be Perry knowing a thing or two about conservatives in Texas), they'll finish on top in the general. It's a sad thing too, Bill White was a fantastic mayor and would be a great governor, but this is Texas and it's going to be a Republican year. Therefore, it will likely have been a waste. Unfortunate timing for White.

Have faith, bud. As the little boy from Angels in the Outfield says, "It could happen!" Smiley All is not lost for the Democrats in Texas. Aren't we just a couple seats away from controlling the Texas House of Representatives (think the numbers I last saw were 76 R - 74 D). That's progress for Texas! Who knows, maybe we could pick up three seats and gain the majority. That could serve to be very beneficial going into the redistricting process.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »

If Texas law didn't suck and I was 18 two weeks earlier, I'd vote for Hutchison, as my parents are doing. Really, I'd try anything to get rid of Rick Perry.
Ah, good thing you can't vote then.
perdedor

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2010, 03:46:15 PM »

Have faith, bud. As the little boy from Angels in the Outfield says, "It could happen!" Smiley All is not lost for the Democrats in Texas. Aren't we just a couple seats away from controlling the Texas House of Representatives (think the numbers I last saw were 76 R - 74 D). That's progress for Texas! Who knows, maybe we could pick up three seats and gain the majority. That could serve to be very beneficial going into the redistricting process.

The make up is 77 Republicans and 73 Democrats, which is a good thing; for now. As I said, it's going to be a Republican year and if it's going to run down ballot anywhere, it will do so in a state like Texas, which has party line voting options. I couldn't tell you what the House will look like when it's all said and done, but I would just about bet that whoever wins the Republican nod for Governor wins the general by at least 6%. That being said, I will definitely turn out to the primaries if only to vote against Farouk Shami, who is an opportunist scumbag.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2010, 09:25:44 PM »

Farouk Shami seems like a bad person.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2010, 11:17:18 PM »

Medina.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2010, 11:25:32 PM »

The make up is 77 Republicans and 73 Democrats, which is a good thing; for now. As I said, it's going to be a Republican year and if it's going to run down ballot anywhere, it will do so in a state like Texas, which has party line voting options. I couldn't tell you what the House will look like when it's all said and done, but I would just about bet that whoever wins the Republican nod for Governor wins the general by at least 6%.

I tend to agree (and I definitely agree on the party line thing) but we'll see.

I didn't realize Chuck Hopson switched parties after the November elections, but I understand why - he's in one of those seats where his goose might have been cooked otherwise. (east Texas)

Which reminds me - you need to realize in the Texas House that there are still about 5-10 seats held by Dems that they have no business holding should they ever become open or things get nasty up-ballot.  Almost all of the Dem gains since 2002 have come from deterioration in the Dallas/Houston suburbs that showed up on a lot of different levels - if that deterioration stops or reverses for 2010, there could be real problems in keeping things close.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2010, 06:39:10 AM »

If Perry has a runoff with Medina, do you think he will back off in his support for illegal aliens (hostility to border security, hostility to employment enforcement, support for in-state tuition)?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 02:07:40 AM »

If Perry has a runoff with Medina, do you think he will back off in his support for illegal aliens (hostility to border security, hostility to employment enforcement, support for in-state tuition)?

If Perry has a runoff with Medina, he'll not need to do a thing.
perdedor

« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 10:20:39 AM »

If Perry has a runoff with Medina, he'll not need to do a thing.

^

Perry would take over 80% of former KBH supporters. Not that this relevant as Medina has already peaked and is prepared to plummet now that she is really out in the open. Should there be a run off between Perry and KBH,  a large percentage of Medina supporters will flock to other seccessionist/anti-Washington candidate, Perry, and he will proceed to completely mop the floor with Hutchinson.
Deldem
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -7.74

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 03:48:08 PM »

If Texas law didn't suck and I was 18 two weeks earlier, I'd vote for Hutchison, as my parents are doing. Really, I'd try anything to get rid of Rick Perry.
Ah, good thing you can't vote then.
I'm sorry I don't support a candidate whose only redeeming quality is good hair.
timmer123
Rookie

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »

I'd go Rick Perry, but I'd be just as happy with Kay.

I think it's funny all the people who complain, "Rick Perry's been governor for too long."

Look at our Congress and how people have been for 30+ years.  It's ridiculous.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 11:36:39 PM »

Just because he called Bill White racist for running ads showing that he (White) grew up in San Antonio?

Why couldn't Shami simply run positive ads about his upbringing.  Maybe use the Texas pronunciation of 'Palestine' to make it sound like he is from east of Corsicanna.
perdedor

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »

Just because he called Bill White racist for running ads showing that he (White) grew up in San Antonio?

More so because he is an opportunist business man with no real principles (as noted by his very peculiar campaign contributions).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »

I think it's funny all the people who complain, "Rick Perry's been governor for too long."

More that he's been governor for ten years and all he can point to are a questionable midcycle redistricting, a multi-year battle with his own party over school funding, and an incredibly unpopular highway proposal.
DavidDFWTX
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 10:41:12 PM »

1) Medina
2) Perry
3) Libertarian Candidate.
James L. Buckley
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2010, 05:51:01 PM »

Medina is my personal favorite. I have a neutral opinion of the incumbent, Governor Perry, primarily because I think he's nothing but an empty suit with fashionable hair. But I would support anybody over Kay Bailout Hutchinson.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies