Will Drudge finally release the Whitey Tape tonight?!? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:36:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Drudge finally release the Whitey Tape tonight?!? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Will Drudge finally release the Whitey Tape tonight?!?  (Read 9238 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: October 02, 2012, 08:10:55 PM »

Subtly changing your dialect/accent to match who you're talking to (whether it's in a speech or to just a random person) is a natural thing that all people do. There's nothing political about it. I'm sure someone on this forum who knows more about sociolinguistics can fill us in.

It's actually often an unconscious thing that people do.

Apparently when I'm more 'trashy' parts, my accent is a little-less polished. I certainly don't deliberately do it, lol.

Right, exactly. Over the summer I was on a bus, and I was talking to the black bus driver, and I distinctly remember dropping the g's in my speech, without doing so on purpose. Reflecting the dialect/accent of your audience in your own speech is just a natural and unconscious thing that most people do. There's nothing sinister or political about Obama doing it here.

If Obama had been spending time talking with the audience or other people in the area that could be it. It seems like more of a southern rather than a northern black voice to my ears, but it comes and goes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies