Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:18:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Georgia's Very Own Megathread!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 105
Author Topic: Georgia's Very Own Megathread!  (Read 318282 times)
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1875 on: May 22, 2018, 10:30:14 PM »

White voters  love Abrams. She is not ignoring them. She is simply acknowledging that the black base is the heart and soul of the party.

That we are still pretending that she is unpalatable to white voters after her decisive victory in North Georgia and the North Atlanta suburbs is hilarious.

Evans had NO GROUND GAME. And spent the last few weeks of her campaign blanketing the airwaves with mistruths and slamming Abrams in her stump speeches. Just LOL at the notion continuing that Evans would be a better GE candidate. She would have motivated no one and done nothing to GOTV.

In addition, and I know I'm not speaking for all the voters, but among my family (all white , mostly women), none said they'd bother voting if Evans had won.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1876 on: May 22, 2018, 10:34:49 PM »

I don't think that either Evans or Abrams would win in November.

Abrams is unelectable in November because of gun control. Yes, liberal voters are moving into the affluent Atlanta suburbs but it may not be enough to win in November.

Moderate voters in southern Georgia and western Georgia won't budge with the gun control.

Abrams vs. Cagle/Kemp is Tossup/Tilt R.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1877 on: May 22, 2018, 10:40:08 PM »

Abrams is unelectable in November because of gun control. Yes, liberal voters are moving into the affluent Atlanta suburbs but it may not be enough to win in November.

Moderate voters in southern Georgia and western Georgia won't budge with the gun control.

even if this is true it still means John "endorsed by the NRA" "my grandpappy used this gun ta stop a lynchin" Barrow easily would win statewide
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1878 on: May 22, 2018, 10:42:20 PM »

for those who don't know what I'm talking about this is the campaign ad that singehandedly won John Barrow's reelection in 2012: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvR5qTUOTuY

I'm not just saying that either, I can name twenty members of my extended family who voted for John Barrow alongside their vote for Mitt Romney because that ad won them over
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1879 on: May 22, 2018, 10:48:25 PM »

even if this is true it still means John "endorsed by the NRA" "my grandpappy used this gun ta stop a lynchin" Barrow easily would win statewide

Yeah, Abrams driving up black turnout gives Barrow an excellent chance

This is the biggest positive side to an Abrams nominee honestly.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1880 on: May 22, 2018, 10:57:21 PM »

Gun confiscation isn't popular in the South....

If Abrams talks about jobs, healthcare and other issues, she wins 50-46.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #1881 on: May 22, 2018, 10:59:46 PM »

Has Abrams actually came out in favor of gun confiscation? Or is bronz bsing like I think he is?
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1882 on: May 22, 2018, 11:00:39 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2018, 11:08:58 PM by Gass3268 »

Vote differential down to 87,653 R-D
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1883 on: May 22, 2018, 11:09:35 PM »

I think Abrams talking about scrubbing Stone Mountain will hurt her more than gun control. I saw how Northam really retreaded from the confederate monuments issue during the campaign. She has many flaws, the debt she has being a glaring one, idk how voters will respond to a candidate running to manage the state budget being $200K in debt.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1884 on: May 22, 2018, 11:14:24 PM »

The DeKalb results look a bit fishy to me. I think they are underreporting dem votes / overreporting GOP votes. NYT got Cherokee county totally wrong so it wouldn't surprise me if they messed up here.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1885 on: May 22, 2018, 11:17:32 PM »

Also, are dems outvoting repubs in GA-06? It looks pretty close to me.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1886 on: May 22, 2018, 11:18:46 PM »

I think Abrams talking about scrubbing Stone Mountain will hurt her more than gun control. I saw how Northam really retreaded from the confederate monuments issue during the campaign. She has many flaws, the debt she has being a glaring one, idk how voters will respond to a candidate running to manage the state budget being $200K in debt.
She literally said that once. Almost a year ago. You’re reaching.

And Nathan Deal was a million dollars in debt but OK. LOL.
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1887 on: May 22, 2018, 11:19:35 PM »

Are there any substantive differences in the GOP candidates? Or is it just a Rokita/Messer-style Macho-Off (TM)?
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1888 on: May 22, 2018, 11:22:28 PM »

Yeah but he earned that debt, unlike freeloader welfare queens like Stacey Abrams.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1889 on: May 22, 2018, 11:22:54 PM »

Said it once? That's all it takes, you know the GOP isn't going to let that go, they are going to remind every white voter that she is going to 'change our history/heritage blah blah bah'.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1890 on: May 22, 2018, 11:28:10 PM »

Said it once? That's all it takes, you know the GOP isn't going to let that go, they are going to remind every white voter that she is going to 'change our history/heritage blah blah bah'.
I highly doubt Revisionist Confederates were lining up behind Abrams either way. I’m going to let her continue running the campaign she wants. She’s already exceeded expectations once. Let’s keep it going into November.
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #1891 on: May 22, 2018, 11:32:04 PM »

Are there any substantive differences in the GOP candidates? Or is it just a Rokita/Messer-style Macho-Off (TM)?

Kemp is a touch loonier and poorer.
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1892 on: May 22, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »

LOL at Evans still managing to win Glascock County. That place has an extreme aversion to black candidates.
Podgy the Bear
mollybecky

« Reply #1893 on: May 22, 2018, 11:36:39 PM »

White voters  love Abrams. She is not ignoring them. She is simply acknowledging that the black base is the heart and soul of the party.

That we are still pretending that she is unpalatable to white voters after her decisive victory in North Georgia and the North Atlanta suburbs is hilarious.

When you talk about her decisive victory in North Georgia--take a look at Fannin County (Blue Ridge) which she won 286 to 180.  And then look at the Republican vote there--close to 2900 (and I am sure that hardly any of these people will not vote Republican in November).  Yes, there are progressive voters in this part of the state--but very few.  And that's about it for the Democratic white vote here--it's all moved to the Republicans.

Abrams will not win in November.  There's too much baggage, and her message will not resonate in most of the state.  However, she could be very influential to get out the base and strengthen the minority vote.  This can help people like Sarah Amico and John Barrow and other downstream candidates in their races.  
Rookie Yinzer
RFKFan68
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1894 on: May 22, 2018, 11:45:01 PM »

So is that 87% in Peach County, Abrams’ largest margin? She campaigned heavy down there. Using Fort Valley State to turn out the vote in that community.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1895 on: May 22, 2018, 11:59:30 PM »

The reality is that Abrams campaigned everywhere. She personally came to BFE Whitfield County 3 times, and her campaign came twice more. Evans' last (and only) appearance to my county to my knowledge was for our county party's fundraiser in August 2017 - and this was her ancestral home turf; where she needed to run up the margins to have any chance whatsoever (and a proportionate performance elsewhere). She banked on astroturfing in the metro and it didn't work. I'm not sure she could have won even with a better grassroots effort, but she certainly had no reason to suffer a 3:1 loss given her resources other than not working for it.

Now that the primary is over, I'll speak more freely about these things. Kudos to Abrams for running one hell of a campaign and putting in the groundwork to make it happen. It definitely yielded results in the Democratic primary. The real question is whether she can break the dynamic in the general: over the past 12 years, we've lost one vote in rural GA for every vote we've gained elsewhere. While she has personally made more appearances at this point in my part of the state than any other candidate I can recall (and that gives me hope), there is a contradictory message that has been muttered within campaign circles that basically implies "we're going to win this on the backs of urban and/or minority voters".

If anything, I hope the results tonight inspire them to reassess that strategy (if it is in fact what has been guiding them) and make a play everywhere, since the votes needed for victory originating from the core constituencies of the party just aren't there to carry us to 50%+1 yet, and since she did so well across the board (even in areas where DEM turnout was almost certainly inflated by suburban white former Republicans).

As a side-note, I'm going to have some fun maps to publish soon (after the remaining counties fully report).
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1896 on: May 23, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2018, 12:11:38 AM by Arch »

Delta R-D will end up being around 50,000.
Alabama_Indy10
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1897 on: May 23, 2018, 12:04:09 AM »

When you talk about her decisive victory in North Georgia--take a look at Fannin County (Blue Ridge) which she won 286 to 180.  And then look at the Republican vote there--close to 2900 (and I am sure that hardly any of these people will not vote Republican in November).  Yes, there are progressive voters in this part of the state--but very few.  And that's about it for the Democratic white vote here--it's all moved to the Republicans.

Abrams will not win in November.  There's too much baggage, and her message will not resonate in most of the state.  However, she could be very influential to get out the base and strengthen the minority vote.  This can help people like Sarah Amico and John Barrow and other downstream candidates in their races.  

^^^ x10
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #1898 on: May 23, 2018, 12:04:57 AM »

Wow, there must have been a huge vote dump out of Dekalb in the past 15 minutes:

GAGOV-GOP-2018: 603,391 (52.34%)
GAGOV-DEM-2018: 549,397 (47.66%)

Incredible. Even if this is partially because a metric s[inks]t-ton of the GOP stayed home, Democratic raw turnout is getting closer to doubling 2014. I haven't ran the figures yet, but ED vote might be more Democratic than EV...
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #1899 on: May 23, 2018, 12:06:43 AM »

Jesus, did not expect the result to be that one sided. Kind of embarrassing for the lesser Stacey, imho.
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77 78 79 80 81 ... 105  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies