Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:00:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 307066 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2013, 02:47:40 AM »

Regarding the Xahar shenanigans... why not just amend the constitution so that a party cannot replace a vacancy with the person who last occupied the seat before the vacancy occurred?

Well that doesn't help much in other circumstances like them running in a special and winning or getting appointed by the Governor to a regional seat if they were a Regional Senator. I was thinking last night that one which banned expelled Senators from serving as a Seantor for the duration of the term from which they were expelled from was preferable. That would cover all the scenarios and frankly, we have been one step behind on each expulsion incident it seems with regards to it being exploited so a little forward looking on the approach is warrented.

I just realized that TNF is the third most senior Senator now...

And Gass is now Dean of the Senate.

I just realized that TNF is the third most senior Senator now...

Hasn't Yankee been there for like 3 years?

Four years and six months. And I won all fifteen of those elections fair and square.

Keep in mind that there is an 80% turnover rate every six months or so. In fact it is even higher than that because you have Senators like Maxwell and Xahar who were elected in August and didn't run again in December and thus aren't factored in and of course Polnut winning that special and so on.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #176 on: December 20, 2013, 02:13:29 AM »

Napoleon was Dean of the Senate for months, and he had only come in February 2013. 

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »

My activity will be limited from the 4th through 7th of January, as I am out of town.

I'm back now, and will be able to participate more actively in debate.

I am glad to here it. Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2014, 06:24:55 PM »

And it is now on the floor of the Senate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #179 on: January 20, 2014, 02:43:29 AM »

X could you at least consolidate some of these bills together. Even if you disagree with the content of the "comprehensive" law in question, is not the format such that the merits of which speak for themselves?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #180 on: February 15, 2014, 06:11:41 PM »

Is there a place I could read about the powers of the VP in the Senate, what he can do in the senate procedures. When NCYankee is absent the senate work almost stops. I thought maybe the VP has some power to move things. 

The VP can do everything I can do. In fact, he is the primary authority and all my authority is delegated directly from him. https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Current_Senate_Rules,_Regulations,_and_Procedures

On the flip side, the Consitution only allows the VP to break ties, so that is omething he can do that I cannot.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #181 on: February 15, 2014, 06:13:17 PM »

Whilst losing the two days was unfortunate, we are still on track to break records on both amendments to legislation and legislation overall, if the pace so far is maintained in the last two or three weeks.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #182 on: June 22, 2014, 01:26:36 AM »

If I were looking for a Senator to sponsor a bill (or bills) on my behalf in the Senate, would this be the appropriate place to inquire? Grin

You could just PM bore or hell as a former Southerner (in game), I would still hook you up. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #183 on: June 22, 2014, 01:43:26 AM »

Look at it like this, Barnes. You didn't get expelled, you are just 17 months late for work. Tongue

"I didn't quit, I am just seven years late for work" - Dave Chappelle.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #184 on: August 09, 2014, 10:57:08 AM »

Like I said in the thread, the Constitution makes the VP President of the Senate not the rules.

I have issues with changing to the term Speaker as the PPT should be a merit based not a political based election.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #185 on: August 09, 2014, 11:05:20 AM »

Like I said in the thread, the Constitution makes the VP President of the Senate not the rules.

I have issues with changing to the term Speaker as the PPT should be a merit based not a political based election.

Speaker is not an inherently political term. For instance, the speaker in britain is non partisan.

As long as everyone is clear then that such is the British version of such and that is the nature of the office.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2014, 04:06:30 PM »

I typed up an alternative to Nix's proposal, but I seem to have misplaced the version I typed up this morning. It is probably saved on my computer but I am sure I saved to the flash drive. Anyone here is the outline of what it contains differently and I will try to get it posted later if possible.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2014, 04:12:58 PM »

I don't understand the logic.

If I understand correctly, I was accused of "executive overreach".
And now, the only prerogatives you want to give to the VP is basically the Confirmation hearing?

Do you realize that the Confirmation hearings are basically made after the President's actions? That wouldn't be an executive overreach if his own VP would administer the thread for the confirmation of his administration???

Hold up, Nix's limits you to Confirmation Hearings. Mine basically gives the VP what Cincy was doing. I am sorry if that is confused. I don't have the latest version of the text, if I did it would ve clearer and the one I have from last night is a 1 AM wonder, a mess with spelling errors and is 2600 words instead of 2400.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »

Very nice, Yankee. I'm especially encouraged that your revisions still result in nearly a two-thirds reduction in word count.

We'll have to hash out some of these differences once the rules resolution reaches the floor, but I think we'll be able to agree on resolutions to all but a few points of difference without controversy.

The vast bulk is aged junk and even where we previously condensed, I found ways to reduce further. So while it is 11% larger that yours, I feel mine saves some arms and legs that yours removed like the clogging rule, checks on expulsion and the inability to exempt from things like expulsion.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2014, 04:21:02 PM »

I don't understand the logic.

If I understand correctly, I was accused of "executive overreach".
And now, the only prerogatives you want to give to the VP is basically the Confirmation hearing?

Do you realize that the Confirmation hearings are basically made after the President's actions? That wouldn't be an executive overreach if his own VP would administer the thread for the confirmation of his administration???

Hold up, Nix's limits you to Confirmation Hearings. Mine basically gives the VP what Cincy was doing. I am sorry if that is confused. I don't have the latest version of the text, if I did it would ve clearer and the one I have from last night is a 1 AM wonder, a mess with spelling errors and is 2600 words instead of 2400.

You don't understand my point Yankee.

Both you and Averroes are going to limit the VP's actions to things where the President has the most influence: the  Confirmation hearing.
You want to avoid executive overreach, and the prerogative you're giving to the VP are the Confirmation hearings: nomination made by the President.

The concern for overreach is primarily the executive intruding into the legislation affairs. Executive appoints are just that, and merely require the advise and consent of the Senate.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2014, 04:43:03 PM »

The thing is what people complained about though was ironically what elected to do as opposed to what you elected not to do precisely for the concerns. You were a rather careful VP and thus the outcry even baffles me and maybe it has just been building for a while and seeing the VP run 15 slots was the straw that broke the camels back.

Either way I think we are better off with an active VP and more active then the one envision by next. After all it was his slave err VP that helped secure the notion of active VP as opposed to letting it die with Duke leaving office as just a scheme of the Carolinians. Tongue

By way of having the VP as the presiding officer and superior to the PPT and able to perform all his duties meant the VP could can legislation for instance and that would be an example of interferring with the legislative process. Administering a slot is relatively safe and save for an amendment o legislation, nothing can really be done that poses a risk.

Anyway I got the rules alternative finally. Took a good cross country run to obtain it though. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2014, 04:45:22 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2014, 04:59:22 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2014, 04:46:24 PM »

I composed it in word but my neighbor's computer doesn't have word so I had to paste it in to notepad so I am fortunate the spacing isn't worse in spots. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #195 on: August 24, 2014, 04:05:54 PM »

You would have to create slots just for amendments and that would add to complexity, not lessen it.

I don't recall anyone criticizing the executive slots. Consider that a while ago MaroDuke was trying to make the VP an actual Senator because omg, President has to have a Senator introduce stuff and it is not like you need six of them to pass it oh wait you do... Tongue

Managing slots is rather tame. Most of the complaints I saw dealt with the scale, but remember because of my problems, reading any such situation might be incorrect. I am still blaming myself and my inability to get on for leading to your resignation to being with. Sad

Lol this computer autocorrected Nix's name to next in the post you quoted.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #196 on: August 25, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »

I just remembered something that both mine and Nix forgot to include. Senate Succession of seats and votes. Failure to do vote displacement would violate the constitutional allotment of seats. Imagine if the votes were counted from ME Senator, his successor takes officer and his vote is likewise counted. You have 11 votes.

As for at-large seats it is governed by one of the Proportional Represenation Acts.

1: shua-spiral-Deus
2. Lumine
3. Alfred-Polnut
4. Goldwater-JCL
5. Dr. Cynic

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #197 on: September 06, 2014, 06:24:43 PM »

Wasn't yesterday inauguration day for the new Senate?

Yep. Normally I post a warning that such is coming but what little time I had on Thursday, was expended playing catch up after being unable to get on at all for a week.

Indeed, I knew I was supposed to swear-in earlier in the week, but I got a bit distracted... I've also sent a message to the rest of the At-Large Senators so we can swear-in as soon as possible.

Nah you were supposed to swear in yesterday at noon. Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies