Sam Spade's 2008 Senate/House Election Prediction Thread (FINALIZED - SEE P.18)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 12:32:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Sam Spade's 2008 Senate/House Election Prediction Thread (FINALIZED - SEE P.18)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Sam Spade's 2008 Senate/House Election Prediction Thread (FINALIZED - SEE P.18)  (Read 48359 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: October 05, 2008, 05:36:09 PM »

Interesting new rankings.

Some races look a little low (e.g., FL-24 and FL-25), some races look a little high (e.g., KY-02), but I generally agree with your rankings. My only major beef is with your ranking of FL-13. The presence of Jan Schneider makes it virtually impossible for Buchanan to lose. The incumbent also enjoys a massive CoH edge and the DCCC has not reserved any ad time there. I would definitely bump FL-25 (which is too close to call, right now) above FL-13.

It's nice to see that you agree Phil English is now in serious trouble.  We also agree that IL-10 is an overrated pickup opportunity for the Democrats. Kirk has now raised over $4.6 million and even Democrats concede that Seals is running a mediocre campaign. Despite the top-ballot atmospherics, it's not a good year to be an Illinois Democrat.

I'm only done updating everything through NY-26 or so yet.  Be patient.  I think a lot of this through.  Smiley  You don't know where FL-25 is going to be yet (though FL-24 will stay where it is).

On Illinois, Halvorson's weakness is fascinating and I have to wonder how she'll do if Blago gets indicted (which I think is becoming almost a foregone conclusion eventually).

As for Seals, if your own polls can't put you within 10% of Kirk, why should I believe that you're competitive.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #176 on: October 05, 2008, 05:55:49 PM »

Oh, on Phil English - I moved him up 1) because of the spending and 2) because the SUSA poll looks legit to me.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2008, 04:39:17 AM »

It's nice to see that you agree Phil English is now in serious trouble.  We also agree that IL-10 is an overrated pickup opportunity for the Democrats. Kirk has now raised over $4.6 million and even Democrats concede that Seals is running a mediocre campaign. Despite the top-ballot atmospherics, it's not a good year to be an Illinois Democrat.

Sure it is!  Seals is one of just two I can think of looking unlikely to reap the rewards.

On Illinois, Halvorson's weakness is fascinating and I have to wonder how she'll do if Blago gets indicted (which I think is becoming almost a foregone conclusion eventually).

I'd love to talk with you about this one some time.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2008, 05:01:35 AM »

Sam, I have a challenge for you and I think you'll enjoy it but maybe not.

Can you list the five-seven House races, and, perhaps, two Senate races, which you are most likely to be proven wrong on in election day?  Upsets of Sam's predidctions, if you will.  I know you already try and adjust for this type of thing (AK-AK-AK), but it'd be a good firewall for you Tongue  Even if you miss a race or two, you can still have them on that secondary "Maybe I'm Wrong" list.

Sort of thing I'm truly interested in.  I trust your judgment as rough estimate of the consensus, but I trust your judgment more on where the consensus could be failing to take other factors into account.  Smiley   And it's not just CA-4 (which I'm surprised to note is already at #40, yay, higher than Politicker which has it at #53 or so) haha.   Besides the clear tossups, which races on November 4th would be the least predictable?

Or is your list already organized 100% in terms of confidence?
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2008, 09:07:30 PM »

Can you list the five-seven House races, and, perhaps, two Senate races, which you are most likely to be proven wrong on in election day?  Upsets of Sam's predidctions, if you will.  I know you already try and adjust for this type of thing (AK-AK-AK), but it'd be a good firewall for you Tongue  Even if you miss a race or two, you can still have them on that secondary "Maybe I'm Wrong" list.

Sort of thing I'm truly interested in.  I trust your judgment as rough estimate of the consensus, but I trust your judgment more on where the consensus could be failing to take other factors into account.  Smiley   And it's not just CA-4 (which I'm surprised to note is already at #40, yay, higher than Politicker which has it at #53 or so) haha.   Besides the clear tossups, which races on November 4th would be the least predictable?

Yes, would be interested to see his take on these, as well.

Also looking to see if his upset picks pan out better this year than Steele in 2006 or Bush winning Hawaii in 2004.

Not that I'm being critical; at least he has the balls to make such picks, which I don't. Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #180 on: October 06, 2008, 09:15:41 PM »

Also looking to see if his upset picks pan out better this year than Steele in 2006 or Bush winning Hawaii in 2004.

Not that I'm being critical; at least he has the balls to make such picks, which I don't. Smiley

I have, in the past, chosen to make some upset picks.  This year, I probably won't, because when they're wrong they get pointed out and when I'm right - they don't. (e.g. Pombo in 2006)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2008, 09:47:07 PM »

I have, in the past, chosen to make some upset picks.  This year, I probably won't, because when they're wrong they get pointed out and when I'm right - they don't. (e.g. Pombo in 2006)

Sad Was truly looking forward to the upset pick.

You should pick Barkley to win in MN. Smiley Hell, if you won't, I just might have to pick up the slack!
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2008, 10:02:44 AM »

Now might be the time to move up AZ-03. The DCCC has dropped over $670k there, including over $200k today.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2008, 11:56:39 AM »

From TPM (D):

The DCCC latest FEC filings from last night show that the Dems put down over $7 million for ads in 39 races across the country, in a mix of offense and defense. The single most notable expenditure: The Dems are spending $777,000 to go after scandal-plagued Rep. Don Young (R-AK), an astonishing amount for a small and very red state.

The NRCC has been playing defense with their media buys, compared to the Dems who have done mostly offense. The Hill reports that the GOP has now put down over $2 million on ads to defend Reps. Tim Walberg (R-MI) and Steve Chabot (R-OH). On top of that, Minnesota Public Radio reports that the NRCC has reserved $126,000 worth of ad time in defense of GOP Rep. Michele Bachmann.

Dole refuses to debate

Further elaboration from the hill on GOP spending:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2008, 12:33:36 PM »

MW08 - You have to wait for the update instead of blitzing me for being lazy about it.  Smiley
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #185 on: October 10, 2008, 12:38:01 PM »

Some more spending updates for you to ponder Sam:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/1008/NRCC_cutting_back_ad_buys.html?showall
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #186 on: October 10, 2008, 03:59:01 PM »

From TPM (D):

The DCCC latest FEC filings from last night show that the Dems put down over $7 million for ads in 39 races across the country, in a mix of offense and defense. The single most notable expenditure: The Dems are spending $777,000 to go after scandal-plagued Rep. Don Young (R-AK), an astonishing amount for a small and very red state.

Republicans will agree, this is a total FF move for the Democrats.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #187 on: October 10, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »

From TPM (D):

Republicans will agree, this is a total FF move for the Democrats.

This independent only hopes the move actually works.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #188 on: October 10, 2008, 06:30:32 PM »

Sam, someone like yourself needs to give a good talkin' to Marc Ambinder, who is typically an adroit observer of politics. Today Ambinder wrote, "Sen. Mitch McConnell doesn't campaign very well in tight races." Maybe that why he pulled off an upset in '84, survived in '90, and fended off a challenge from the current KY guv in '96.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/10/every_analyst_does_their_own.php

Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #189 on: October 10, 2008, 10:35:16 PM »

Sam, someone like yourself needs to give a good talkin' to Marc Ambinder, who is typically an adroit observer of politics. Today Ambinder wrote, "Sen. Mitch McConnell doesn't campaign very well in tight races." Maybe that why he pulled off an upset in '84, survived in '90, and fended off a challenge from the current KY guv in '96.

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/10/every_analyst_does_their_own.php

You seem to know enough about this to write to him yourself.  Smiley
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2008, 10:52:54 AM »

I might have missed a thing or two, but it's finally fully updated.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »

why is GA likely as opposed to lean?  I'd think that Martin's chances are closer to Musgrove's than to Allen's... I actually think he might be slightly more likely to win than Musgrove is (but also more likely to lose by 8-10%).
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2008, 11:26:46 AM »

why is GA likely as opposed to lean?  I'd think that Martin's chances are closer to Musgrove's than to Allen's... I actually think he might be slightly more likely to win than Musgrove is (but also more likely to lose by 8-10%).

Much like I said earlier this year with Hagen, Martin has to prove to me that he can get above 44%-45%. 

In other words, all signs point to those Chambliss movers as being movers from Chambliss to undecided.  But so far, none of those movers have shown any inkling to move to Martin.  Until a poll shows they have interest in doing such, when election day gets here, they will move back to where they came from.

Of course, the fact that the DSCC is not advertising here is another factor.  Although they are advertising in KS, which makes no sense in comparison.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2008, 11:39:32 AM »

Much like I said earlier this year with Hagen,

Tragically, she spells it with an "a" instead of an "e".
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #194 on: October 11, 2008, 01:29:18 PM »

Much like I said earlier this year with Hagen, Martin has to prove to me that he can get above 44%-45%. 

In other words, all signs point to those Chambliss movers as being movers from Chambliss to undecided.  But so far, none of those movers have shown any inkling to move to Martin.  Until a poll shows they have interest in doing such, when election day gets here, they will move back to where they came from.

Of course, the fact that the DSCC is not advertising here is another factor.  Although they are advertising in KS, which makes no sense in comparison.

a little birdie told me to expect them to do so soon.  Well, no one told me that, but I can see the national party sprinting over.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #195 on: October 13, 2008, 01:51:03 PM »

Few changes made today:

1. Obviously, because of the Mahoney thing - his seat goes to lean R and becomes the most likely Republican pickup.
2. I switched NM-01 and AK-AL.  Heinrich had a good fundraising quarter and Dem spending in AK-AL speaks to nervousness.
3. Moved KY Senate back down to Lean R.  Although McConnell's people released a poll with him up only 9 and under 50, Lunsford's people returned with a poll showing him down by 3.  That to me does not translate to Toss-up/Lean R status.
4. I'm getting close to putting Georgia in Lean R, but some money has to be thrown there first.
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #196 on: October 13, 2008, 02:24:14 PM »

Few changes made today:

1. Obviously, because of the Mahoney thing - his seat goes to lean R and becomes the most likely Republican pickup.
2. I switched NM-01 and AK-AL.  Heinrich had a good fundraising quarter and Dem spending in AK-AL speaks to nervousness.
3. Moved KY Senate back down to Lean R.  Although McConnell's people released a poll with him up only 9 and under 50, Lunsford's people returned with a poll showing him down by 3.  That to me does not translate to Toss-up/Lean R status.
4. I'm getting close to putting Georgia in Lean R, but some money has to be thrown there first.
Interesting changes. I pared down the list of potentially competitive GOP-held House seats, tweaked some House ratings (e.g., WI-08 moved down a notch), and moved up a couple of GOP-held Senate races.

I remain reluctant to move MN into the Tossup/Tilts Democratic column. Barring a late collapse in Coleman's numbers, I can't see Franken being more than an even bet to win on election day.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #197 on: October 13, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »

I remain reluctant to move MN into the Tossup/Tilts Democratic column. Barring a late collapse in Coleman's numbers, I can't see Franken being more than an even bet to win on election day.

As do I.  With Rasmussen's number, I can't help but wonder if that had to do with the suit flap.  Because the week before that, if you're (Franken) releasing a poll showing you up 2, you're not leading in my book.  Whatever - hopefully we'll get some clarity soon enough.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #198 on: October 14, 2008, 02:15:30 AM »

New poll out confirms your idea on NV-02.  Some Kos diarist is sad right now.

Yay, CA-04 is now in the "lean" category.  Go Charlie Brown Go!
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #199 on: October 14, 2008, 02:53:00 PM »

http://www.politico.com/blogs/scorecard/1008/DCCC_adds_eight_candidates_to_list_of_top_recruits.html
The Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee added eight new Democratic challengers to its "Red-to-Blue" list of leading recruits.

The list, once viewed as a gold standard for the party's strongest candidates, now resembles more of a compilation of any Democrat with even a small chance of winning.

One of the additions is Louisiana technology executive Jim Harlan, running in a district that gave President Bush 71 percent of the vote in 2004.  He's running against Rep. Steve Scalise (R-La.), who won a special election for Bobby Jindal's old House seat.  Harlan has been self-financing much of his long-shot campaign.

Another inclusion is blind rabbi Dennis Shulman, running against Rep. Scott Garrett (R-N.J.).

The full list of additions are below:

Josh Segall (AL 03)
Nick Leibham (CA 50)
Becky Greenwald (IA 04)
Jim Harlan (LA 01)
Elwyn Tinklenberg (MN 06)
Dennis Shulman (NJ 05)
Linda Ketner (SC 01)
Larry Joe Doherty (TX 10)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to: