Biden Watch Megathread (decision this week?)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:37:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Biden Watch Megathread (decision this week?)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Biden Watch Megathread (decision this week?)  (Read 14575 times)
Donald Trump 2016 !
captainkangaroo

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 19, 2015, 03:34:01 PM »

5 hours ago, Democratic Representative Brendan Boyle stated on his twitter feed: "I have a very good source close to Joe that tells me VP Biden will run for Prez"

Source: https://twitter.com/RepBrendanBoyle
Fusionmunster

« Reply #101 on: October 19, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »

5 hours ago, Democratic Representative Brendan Boyle stated on his twitter feed: "I have a very good source close to Joe that tells me VP Biden will run for Prez"

Source: https://twitter.com/RepBrendanBoyle

2 hours ago ABC News Chief White House Correspondent Jonathan Karl stated on his twitter feed:
"A person involved in @JoeBiden deliberations tells me he “has not reached an actual decision and therefore there is no announcement coming”"
https://twitter.com/jonkarl?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2015, 03:38:19 PM »

Right after that, he said "The source says no decision is coming today -- and that Biden is genuinely undecided. No timeline for a decision but 'time is nigh'".
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2015, 03:42:54 PM »

Would Biden honestly let all this get out if he wasn't decided on running? Seriously, people.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2015, 03:43:03 PM »

Humorous to see the nervous Hillary folks freaking out. Barry may not be able to run again, but his VP may be able to take down Clinton again and for the best of the party
Fusionmunster

« Reply #105 on: October 19, 2015, 03:47:47 PM »

Humorous to see the nervous Hillary folks freaking out. Barry may not be able to run again, but his VP may be able to take down Clinton again and for the best of the party

I'm not nervous, I'm annoyed. We have conflicting reports, why shouldn't I post them?
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #106 on: October 19, 2015, 03:49:48 PM »

Run, Joe, run!
Col. Roosevelt
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »

Help us, JoeBWanKenobi, you're our only hope.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2015, 04:10:34 PM »

Would Biden honestly let all this get out if he wasn't decided on running? Seriously, people.

Is it actually from the Biden camp? It could just be the Hillary campaign trolling him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #109 on: October 19, 2015, 04:52:34 PM »

Well, it seems that some powerful Democrats won't be rolling out the red mat for Joe.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/james-clyburn-joe-biden_562549f5e4b08589ef486907

A key House Democrat suggested Monday that Vice President Joe Biden can’t win the Democratic nomination on his own and should not enter the contest.

Rep. James Clyburn (D-S.C.) told The Huffington Post that Biden should instead say he is “available” to head the 2016 ticket if circumstances warrant it -- that is, if Hillary Clinton implodes.

“If I were advising him, I would not advise him to get in,” said Clyburn, 75, a top member of the House leadership and an influential figure in the Congressional Black Caucus. “In my opinion, he would not do himself any favors by getting in.”

Clyburn has not yet endorsed a candidate for the Democratic nomination. At this juncture, he said, Clinton’s candidacy offers his party’s best chance to hold the White House in 2016.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #110 on: October 19, 2015, 05:12:08 PM »

What Clyburn said was downright welcoming compared to what Sen. Barbara Boxer said last week:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/california/2015/10/8579741/boxer-time-biden-back-clinton-and-go-out-way
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: October 19, 2015, 05:46:04 PM »

Bloomberg says he still hasn't decided. Is dampening expectations for an announcement anytime soon. 

http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-10-19/not-so-fast-but-getting-closer-biden-announcement-likely-this-week

He has 10 more days till Georgia's primary deadline, so he needs to decide soon.

That article is another indication that he is looking at the Jefferson Jackson Dinner in IA as his deadline...

It's possible that he would use the Dinner itself as his first public announcement. It would dominate the news and potentially cutoff any chance of Hillary or Bernie gaining momentum out of the event.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 19, 2015, 05:48:07 PM »

Its interesting to see how hostile some Democrats are to a Biden candidacy.  I honestly think a Biden candidacy would be a net positive. 

Even if Biden ultimately goes nowhere, he would a). challenge Hillary, forcing her to run a better campaign, and b) he would generate more interest in the Democratic primaries, helping Democrats get their message out.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2015, 05:52:07 PM »

Its interesting to see how hostile some Democrats are to a Biden candidacy.  I honestly think a Biden candidacy would be a net positive.  

Even if Biden ultimately goes nowhere, he would a). challenge Hillary, forcing her to run a better campaign, and b) he would generate more interest in the Democratic primaries, helping Democrats get their message out.

Many Democrats should probably welcome his candidacy, with the exception being solid Clinton supporters. Biden's campaign would make many groups happy, like those who support Biden first of all, then all the people that don't like Clinton but don't want to risk it with Sanders, and also the Sanders supporters who's chances of victory are greatly increased by a three way race.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #114 on: October 19, 2015, 05:53:43 PM »

Biden is the best Democratic candidate- I think he beats us, but that Hillary or Sanders would lose spectacularly.  So, please don't run, Joe!!
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #115 on: October 19, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »

Its interesting to see how hostile some Democrats are to a Biden candidacy.  I honestly think a Biden candidacy would be a net positive. 

He is a threat to Hillary supporters.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #116 on: October 19, 2015, 05:55:46 PM »

What people fail to understand is that he won't be so formidable in the polls if he actually gets in. People love hypothetical candidates, but once said hypothetical candidate runs, they hate them. It's the nature of the electorate.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: October 19, 2015, 06:23:27 PM »

https://twitter.com/edhenry/status/656148356159422464
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #118 on: October 19, 2015, 06:34:48 PM »

Wouldn't it be fun if you were Biden to tell a bunch of friends who work for the media completely different things and just watch everyone on TV freak out for two days?

Person 1: "Anderson! I have two sources telling me Biden's in!"
Anderson Cooper: "Really, Steve? My source tells me Biden's definitely not in."
Person 2: "Yeah, my guy at Biden HQ said Biden's not planning on announcing either way until after Super Tuesday."
Erin Burnett: "Guys, did you hear the news? Biden is going to run... as a Republican!"
Person 3: "Are you sure? I just got off the phone with someone who has it on very good authority that Biden has pledged allegiance to Anton LaVey, converted to Satanism, and is looking for worthy souls to establish a colony in Saskatchewan!"
Anderson Cooper: "Great, let's go with that."
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #119 on: October 19, 2015, 07:20:38 PM »

Would he really not run after all of this hooplah?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: October 19, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »

Wouldn't it be fun if you were Biden to tell a bunch of friends who work for the media completely different things and just watch everyone on TV freak out for two days?

Person 1: "Anderson! I have two sources telling me Biden's in!"
Anderson Cooper: "Really, Steve? My source tells me Biden's definitely not in."
Person 2: "Yeah, my guy at Biden HQ said Biden's not planning on announcing either way until after Super Tuesday."
Erin Burnett: "Guys, did you hear the news? Biden is going to run... as a Republican!"
Person 3: "Are you sure? I just got off the phone with someone who has it on very good authority that Biden has pledged allegiance to Anton LaVey, converted to Satanism, and is looking for worthy souls to establish a colony in Saskatchewan!"
Anderson Cooper: "Great, let's go with that."

That would be a good way to figure out who is leaking.  I believe Joe's cousin, Tyrion Biden, used that approach to figure out which of his aides needed to be shipped off to the Night's Watch.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 19, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I find this hilarious:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-media/2015/10/washington-post-pulls-biden-campaign-launch-story-after-glitch-214945
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #122 on: October 19, 2015, 10:54:43 PM »

"Biden to launch Presidential campaign" doesn't really have much meaning any more. Either he announces or he doesn't. The rumors completely jumped the shark before this WaPo  story.
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #123 on: October 20, 2015, 05:00:43 AM »

This tidbit from the NY Daily News may explain why Wednesday may have been cited as his decision point and tie together the comments about the Iowa dinner on Saturday.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/biden-announce-presidential-run-decision-report-article-1.2402624

Perhaps there is some 72 advance requirement for him to go to the Iowa event, maybe some Secret Service thing (although they would have already advanced the place for Hillary). Of course deciding on Wednesday isn't the same as announcing on Wednesday, assuming that the advance work could be kept secret.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #124 on: October 20, 2015, 06:36:26 AM »

This tidbit from the NY Daily News may explain why Wednesday may have been cited as his decision point and tie together the comments about the Iowa dinner on Saturday.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/biden-announce-presidential-run-decision-report-article-1.2402624

Perhaps there is some 72 advance requirement for him to go to the Iowa event, maybe some Secret Service thing (although they would have already advanced the place for Hillary). Of course deciding on Wednesday isn't the same as announcing on Wednesday, assuming that the advance work could be kept secret.

The JJ dinner is an event where the campaigns buy tickets and try to stack the hall with their supporters. If Biden goes there the last moment then he will deliver his speech in a room full with Clinton and Sanders partisans and his reception will be at best a tepid one.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies