Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:07:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Holocaust Museum: Stop playing Pokémon Go here  (Read 2077 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:51:41 PM »

Funny you say that because Ingress removed portals in Germany at actual concentration camp sites once people were caught playing there. But that was after like two years of them being there.

Oh and for the "I'm not playing this because I'm an adult!" crowd; from the article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »

Oh and for the "I'm not playing this because I'm an adult!" crowd; from the article:

Yes, playing a video game in the Holocaust museum is the pinnacle of adulthood.  They're so proud of themselves (and totally not horribly embarrassed) that they made sure to provide their full names for the article... oh wait.

The point is their ages.

Funny you say that because Ingress removed portals in Germany at actual concentration camp sites once people were caught playing there. But that was after like two years of them being there.

What's your point?  That obnoxious man-children play Pokemon Go?

See this is where you people are getting actually offensive. A lot of the people talking about on my Facebook feed are hard working, responsible and dedicated mothers and fathers. And often accomplished people, I noted that a pharmacist at my work plays it.

But someone who posts on a forum based around coloring maps based on election results probably shouldn't be mocking a recreational activity based around outdoor activity and socializing.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:47:25 PM »

Yes, playing a video game in the Holocaust museum is the pinnacle of adulthood.  They're so proud of themselves (and totally not horribly embarrassed) that they made sure to provide their full names for the article... oh wait.

The point is their ages.

What's your point?  That obnoxious man-children play Pokemon Go?

See this is where you people are getting actually offensive. A lot of the people talking about on my Facebook feed are hard working, responsible and dedicated mothers and fathers. And often accomplished people, I noted that a pharmacist at my work plays it.

But someone who posts on a forum based around coloring maps based on election results probably shouldn't be mocking a recreational activity based around outdoor activity and socializing.

"You people" are pretty d*** offensive when you play Pokemon Go at the Holocaust museum.  And strangely enough, I don't really care what you think I should or shouldn't be doing.

Every person who plays Pokemon Go has played it at the Holocaust Museum?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »

First of all, removing the pokestops of the Holocaust Museum is absurd since you can access those from the street and don't need to enter the location. There's nothing wrong with playing it on the sidewalk in front of it.

Second of all playing it inside or in a cemetery is really no different than playing Angry Birds or Candy Crush in such a spot. Hell it's not really much different from reading or sending text messages. I remember pointing out to people that playing Ingress in a cemetery to someone unfamiliar with the game will just look like someone wandering around the cemetery and texting. So if you think the museum should be a complete no phone use zone like a movie theater that's one thing, but it's arbitrary to say that only augmented reality games are OK.

I mean yeah people shouldn't be yelling "I CAUGHT A CLEFAIRY!" out loud or anything, but it is possible to play the game silently and respectfully. If people are doing that, what's the problem?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2016, 08:47:40 PM »

You only need to be within 40 meters of a object designated as a pokestop to interact with it. And just plain old cemetery headstones wouldn't qualify, it'd be things like larger monuments or statues within the cemetery that you'd likely see people looking at or checking out anyway.

What people need to realize is the entire point of Ingress was to get people to check out things like that. The Holocaust Museum is most certainly a relevant point of interest and one I'd encourage people to check out. Beautiful statues and monuments in cemeteries are other examples. And as noted, you're not really doing anything more disruptive than texting. Now perhaps even simply texting inside the Holocaust Museum is kind of tacky but you don't need to go inside to play either game. I think the idea was lure people there, play on the outside, and then they might get the idea to check out the actual museum later. (I've done this for some museums before.) Removing it would be indicating that the Holocaust museum is not an important point of interest.

(and seriously kids have been playing games in cemeteries for centuries. Who didn't play something like hide and go seek in one as a kid?)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies