What if the Democrats moderated on abortion? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:14:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What if the Democrats moderated on abortion? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What if the Democrats moderated on abortion?  (Read 4626 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« on: January 11, 2017, 10:50:33 PM »

If the Democrats moderated on abortion, I'd seriously consider changing parties.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »

If the Democrats moderated on abortion, I'd seriously consider changing parties.

Then just do it now and help them take the first step.

I would think that you of all people would want Inks to remain a Republican. Tongue

Unless I'm misunderstanding him, he more or less insinuated the major roadblock to him becoming a Democrat is the abortion issue, which leads me to believe his non-abortion views are left-of-center?  As someone who wants the GOP to be a big tent party on the issue of abortion (I'd prefer we remain clearly pro-life but tolerate candidates who feel differently and DEFINITELY support moderate measures like exceptions for life of the mother, rape, incest, etc.), I am not a fan of such a presence in our party, as it pretty much drags us left on (what I believe to be) the wrong issues.

Unless he's views chzanged fairly recently, which I suppose is possible, Inks is actually pretty conservative. I think he feels alienated from the Republican Party because of Trump and the various shenanigans Congress has pulled during the Obama years, such as last year's Supreme Court vacancy debacle, so the Democrats shifting to left on any major issues would make a party switch tempting. I mean, it's possible I'm wrong and he's shifted to the left, but in that case he need to update his PM score. Tongue

I'm still fiscally conservative, and my social views are mixed. Energy and environmental issues have become increasingly important to me, and while I think environmentalists often take their ideals to the extreme to the point that they kill any chance of achieving what they want, most of the GOP's stances on environmental issues are horrible.

The GOP's stance on minimum wage is not economically sound. If you're not going to adjust for inflation, you might as well abolish it completely. Arbitrarily set minimum wages with huge jumps every several years to compensate for years of unaccounted for inflation shocks the economy and damages it far more than adjusting it appropriately would.

While I'm not a fan of everything in the ACA, I foresee the GOP really bungling this issue, especially because they want to retain preexisting conditions protections while removing the individual mandate, which will almost certainly lead to an unsustainable insurance situation.

I think the nonconfirmation of Garland was one of the single most harmful things to the Court in the history of the nation.

I can't stand the anti-immigrant stance of many in the GOP and think that building a wall is going to be a waste of money, although I'm not opposed to it on principle.

If the GOP were truly fiscally conservative with policies based in rational economics, that'd keep me a lot more committed to the party. But now their policies are just largely crap.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies