RISK Capital II: Finished!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:57:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  RISK Capital II: Finished!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21
Author Topic: RISK Capital II: Finished!  (Read 60426 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 25, 2007, 01:42:49 PM »

Wow. That was probably the game right there. Colin is going to be unstoppable now.

You forget that MAS goes next and may well have a card set of his own to turn in by now.

You forget that MAS is, judging from what we've seen, completely unreliable and may well attack you or Soulty or something like that.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #376 on: February 25, 2007, 01:45:06 PM »

Also, unless Soulty moves out of the way he will have a hard time getting to Colin anyway. You should make a deal with MAS and have Soulty move out of Missouri so MAS can get through and, hopefully, take New Jersey.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #377 on: February 25, 2007, 03:07:32 PM »

*Sigh*

Supersoulty is the real threat, everyone pile onto him.  Anyway... Move 3 units from Minnesota ----> Iowa

That's turn/game
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #378 on: February 25, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »

New map:

General MAS117, it is your turn.  You have 6 reinforcements.

+ [7 states ÷ 3 = Minimum 3 reinforcements]
+ [South region = 3 reinforcements]
= 6 reinforcements
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #379 on: February 25, 2007, 04:09:37 PM »

If MAS has cards he should place everything in Arkansas and go all out on New Jersey, through Ernest-land. Or, if things go well go for the big one: Maine!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #380 on: February 25, 2007, 06:28:54 PM »

If MAS has cards he should place everything in Arkansas and go all out on New Jersey, through Ernest-land. Or, if things go well go for the big one: Maine!

I'd have to disagree about New Jersey and especially Maine.  At best it would delay Colin a bit and to be able to do that he's have to consume at least 2 of his battalions and 3 of mine to get to Colin, plus he'd bring Colin's extra battalions in New Jersey and Maine into play.  At best he'd reduce the number of Colin's reinforcements by 3 battalions.  Even worse, if he tries for Maine and doesn't get it, he'll have made Colin's task easier, not harder.  He'd be better served if the goal is keep Colin from winning this round to place those battalions all in Texas for defense and get a RISK card by having Arizona take Nevada or Utah.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #381 on: February 25, 2007, 10:58:14 PM »

Joe, please give me an update of my reinforcement totals now. Thanks!

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #382 on: February 26, 2007, 04:06:51 AM »

I'd have to disagree about New Jersey and especially Maine.  At best it would delay Colin a bit and to be able to do that he's have to consume at least 2 of his battalions and 3 of mine to get to Colin, plus he'd bring Colin's extra battalions in New Jersey and Maine into play.  At best he'd reduce the number of Colin's reinforcements by 3 battalions.  Even worse, if he tries for Maine and doesn't get it, he'll have made Colin's task easier, not harder.  He'd be better served if the goal is keep Colin from winning this round to place those battalions all in Texas for defense and get a RISK card by having Arizona take Nevada or Utah.

It ain't called Risk for nothing. If he sits still like you suggest Colin would indeed have a hard time taking Texas but he doesn't have to. He'll just take Michigan and Florida instead and he can almost certainly do that with the 20 or whatever battallions he's getting. MAS can start with 18 batallions in Arkansas and attack through West Virginia. He can almost certainly take New Jersey, unless he's very unlucky. By depriving Colin of both the regional bonus for New England and bringing down the state-based number he makes it a little harder, but most importantly he can force Colin to take 3 capitals in one turn instead of 2. Also, if the task becomes too hard Colin may have to attack Soulty instead. If Colin kamikazes trying to win and fails Soulty will win easily in his turn.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #383 on: February 26, 2007, 05:14:49 AM »

Joe, please give me an update of my reinforcement totals now. Thanks!

Total of 18, two of which have to go to Oklahoma.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #384 on: February 26, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »

For God's sake MAS... just run me over and take out Colin... I don't mind.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #385 on: February 26, 2007, 06:08:47 PM »

If MAS does decide on the Banzai strategy, then as far as dealing with Colin is concerned, it's best if he goes through Tennessee and Kentucky than Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana.  I'm just not convinced that Banzai is his best strategy, tho to be honest unless Colin is not able to turn in two 10 battalion card sets, I see little chance of there being any good strategy now other than hoping that the dice continue their recent run of being awesome for the defender.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #386 on: February 26, 2007, 06:20:28 PM »

If MAS does decide on the Banzai strategy, then as far as dealing with Colin is concerned, it's best if he goes through Tennessee and Kentucky than Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana.  I'm just not convinced that Banzai is his best strategy, tho to be honest unless Colin is not able to turn in two 10 battalion card sets, I see little chance of there being any good strategy now other than hoping that the dice continue their recent run of being awesome for the defender.

I wouldn't suggest he do that... what I would suggest he do is keep going until he gets to Ohio, then stop and leave some people behind in Indiana.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #387 on: February 26, 2007, 10:57:49 PM »

MAS taking just Indiana and Ohio away from Colin and reinforcing Indiana hands Colin the game more than likely.  Assuming Colin's able to turn in two 10 battalion sets, which is likely, then he with average dice rolls he'd have no difficulty taking Florida and Texas, and with it, the game.

Massive defense of Texas might work, Banzaiing into New Jersey might work, defending the midwest won't.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #388 on: February 26, 2007, 11:04:46 PM »

MAS taking just Indiana and Ohio away from Colin and reinforcing Indiana hands Colin the game more than likely.  Assuming Colin's able to turn in two 10 battalion sets, which is likely, then he with average dice rolls he'd have no difficulty taking Florida and Texas, and with it, the game.

Massive defense of Texas might work, Banzaiing into New Jersey might work, defending the midwest won't.

It make two large bodies of troops that Colin has to charge through to get to Michigan.  It increases our chances better than anything else.

If most of Colins men are coming from cards, taking a few more territories for himis going to do... what?... take away another bat or two from him.  Meanwhile, he just has set up in WV and go through one one battalion place to get to Michigan.  Makes no sense.  Our best odds are to fortify the Midwest.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #389 on: February 27, 2007, 06:34:37 AM »

If I was MAS, i'd go for the risky win-head both to Florida and Hawai'i.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #390 on: February 27, 2007, 10:20:52 AM »

If I was MAS, i'd go for the risky win-head both to Florida and Hawai'i.
That wouldn't be enough, he has to take New Jersey as well.

Not entirely impossible, but unlikely. I'd say either try it, or defend Texas and win a card someplace.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #391 on: February 27, 2007, 10:26:19 AM »

Sorry guys for taking this long, I didn't spend more then 5 minutes in my room all day yesterday. I will get to this later.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #392 on: February 27, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »

Seeing as everyone else is chipping in...

I think there are 2 real options.

1. Defensive
I'd suggest reinforce Texas with 3 (with a view to further reinforcing it with the 2 from Oklahoma in the tactical move) and Mississippi with the remaining 13.

Ernest is right in that the Midwest strategy can't be depended on - it leaves Florida and Texas indefensible.

However, bulking up TX alone won't suffice. I'd suggest that Florida should be either taken with a significant force or surrounded by one - there are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Also, a straight head-on charge on Colin isn't wise as if he's getting about the number of reinforcements speculated, the amount of territories he would lose would not be all that important.

2. Offensive
I'd almost be tempted to slyly try and win this by placing 1 or 2 in Arizona to try and take Hawaii and the remainder in Mississippi to go on tour and try and get both Florida and New Jersey. The reasons why it's tempting are that while the odds are poor, given the powers at play, another chance may not arise.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: February 27, 2007, 03:03:07 PM »

I still think that taking New Jersey is a good idea. Taking New Jersey and reinforcing it would make it hard for Colin to take the 3 required capitals. Also, as I've said, if he has any sense he will have to contemplate whether it's really worth the risk. If he attacks and fails no one will be able to stop Supersoulty in the following turn. He may have to hurt Soulty instead and hold off his big attack till later.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #394 on: February 27, 2007, 03:20:20 PM »

I still think that taking New Jersey is a good idea. Taking New Jersey and reinforcing it would make it hard for Colin to take the 3 required capitals. Also, as I've said, if he has any sense he will have to contemplate whether it's really worth the risk. If he attacks and fails no one will be able to stop Supersoulty in the following turn. He may have to hurt Soulty instead and hold off his big attack till later.

A significant force in NJ would mean that it's unlikely Colin would win on the next go, however, for MAS himself, what kind of position could he expect to be in by the next round? Presumably, he would lose most of the territories between NJ and his base. Plus his base would be left weak and his capital vulnerable, to Supersoulty in particular.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #395 on: February 27, 2007, 03:31:17 PM »

A significant force in NJ would mean that it's unlikely Colin would win on the next go, however, for MAS himself, what kind of position could he expect to be in by the next round? Presumably, he would lose most of the territories between NJ and his base. Plus his base would be left weak and his capital vulnerable, to Supersoulty in particular.

There isn't really much he can do about that, IMO. If he does not attack Colin will just take Michigan and Florida and is likely to succeed.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #396 on: February 27, 2007, 03:34:24 PM »

There isn't really much he can do about that, IMO. If he does not attack Colin will just take Michigan and Florida and is likely to succeed.

Well, I think you both smell like poop
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #397 on: February 27, 2007, 04:42:43 PM »

This is such a tough decision here. Whatever I do not everyone is going to like it. I could march up and attempt to take NJ like some are saying, or I could hold at Ohio, or I could take FL and play defense. What to do what to do. My decision will come tonight.

In the meantime with my 2 reinforcements from the cards attack KS from OK.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #398 on: February 27, 2007, 04:44:34 PM »

This is such a tough decision here. Whatever I do not everyone is going to like it. I could march up and attempt to take NJ like some are saying, or I could hold at Ohio, or I could take FL and play defense. What to do what to do. My decision will come tonight.

Don't you have to place all the reinforcments before you you on to the next phase?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #399 on: February 27, 2007, 04:47:52 PM »

Don't you have to place all the reinforcments before you you on to the next phase?

I'm pretty sure that is the case. Unless Joe is using some really weird rules.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies