Opinion of Black Lives Matter (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:22:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Black Lives Matter (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of this movement?
Positive

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 106

Author Topic: Opinion of Black Lives Matter  (Read 6977 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 14, 2015, 01:01:35 AM »

Framing police brutality/excessive force solely as a "black" issue is not a recipe for sustained progress against it IMO.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 12:36:06 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2015, 12:38:13 PM by shua »

You like to play the simpleton don't you?  Maybe at least try to engage with the substance of what I said next time, even if it is hard for you.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 11:19:52 PM »

You like to play the simpleton don't you?  Maybe at least try to engage with the substance of what I said next time, even if it is hard for you.

difficult, considering there's no substance to engage with

I made a statement of my opinion, at least some of the implications of which I thought were pretty clear for a country where 8/9 of the country is not black.  If you need me to spell it out further, you can ask me about it instead of running immediately to your dank memes that you think magically discredit those you disagree with.

"Black lives matter" is a great statement to make, given the way black lives have been and continue to be devalued in many ways in American society.  "All lives matter" is also a good statement, and should be embraced as the corollary within the context of killings and abuses from the criminal justice system, since not all of the victims are black, it is a systemic problem, that cannot be completely attributed to racism.  If you could somehow get rid of all racial prejudice from police and the courts, blacks would still be disproportionately in contact with police and the courts - so what are these encounters going to be like?  A fundamental reworking of the relationship between governmental force and those communities it is supposed to serve and protect is necessary, not just going after cops for real or supposed racial animus. 

The fact is blacks bear the harshest brunt of a system which can be violent and unjust towards those of all races.  The assumption being communicated that if you are not black it is not a problem you have to worry about facing personally creates an unnecessary distance from the issue for the majority of the American population.   
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies