SENATE BILL: The Public means Public Act (Redraft Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 11:38:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Public means Public Act (Redraft Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Public means Public Act (Redraft Law'd)  (Read 12362 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: April 30, 2014, 10:07:41 PM »

NAY
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 10:19:18 PM »

Aye, but I get the feeling that goldwater's and adam's amendments are functionally the same thing.

I get that sense as well.

ABSTAIN for now.

Part of me wants to vote nay and work out another compromise but I'd need some convincing that there is Constitutional authority for either Section 1 or Section 3 in terms of the Senate limiting the regions ability to legislate on this matter.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 12:51:37 AM »

I'm all for making sure places aren't trying to make outcasts of the homeless, but to say that locales can't make any type of restrictions at all on where a person can sleep just seems like it might be too much to ask. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 10:00:58 AM »

I'm all for making sure places aren't trying to make outcasts of the homeless, but to say that locales can't make any type of restrictions at all on where a person can sleep just seems like it might be too much to ask.  

I don't think they can sleep on private property,
And public does mean public, after all.
Perhaps this bill would incentivize
The common man to actually care
About and confront homelessness instead
Of banning feeding poor folks on the street.

and perhaps more public property being privatized as well.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 12:12:39 AM »

interesting proposal.  does this mean someone must be allowed to camp out on Abe Lincoln's lap?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 04:29:07 PM »

interesting proposal.  does this mean someone must be allowed to camp out on Abe Lincoln's lap?

Wouldn't the underlying legislation have the same effect anyway?

Yes, but I hadn't thought of that example otherwise.

I must point out that in Lincoln's day it wasn't uncommon to find visitor to the White House sleeping in the hallways in various parts of the mansion. Wink

I can't say I'm against that.  However, my Senate office must remain sacrosanct.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 03:33:50 PM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 12:45:46 PM »

If it'll keep you folks happy I'll offer this amendment. Any legal wizardry to make the wording of that work better would be appreciated.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

That would mean the money in clause 4 isn't available for regions that have established programs for housing for the homeless.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 10:15:52 PM »

It should be noted that the Senate has never had the power to my knowledge to repeal a non-federal law.  We cannot go into the regional codes and just start deleting things.  That is not to say that the Senate can keep a regional law from being enforced, but still that would require some sort of constitutional basis, which has not been established for this bill.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »

Okay so where do we stand. We have to remove clauses 1 and 2 to get the President's support, correct?

Maybe we can replace it with a clause saying homeless people cannot be discriminated against in their use of public space and facilities?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 10:12:53 PM »

What do you mean by that? I just want to ensure cities are not forbidden from keeping their streets clean and safe. I won't sign anything that restricts them or allows for panhandling and loitering all over this country.

I mean if a public space is open to people, it is open to homeless people as well.  If it is closed then it is still closed.  But if any city is going to try to restrict homeless people from entire sections of the city then that is discriminatory and a basic violation of rights. 
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 01:05:14 PM »

What do you mean by that? I just want to ensure cities are not forbidden from keeping their streets clean and safe. I won't sign anything that restricts them or allows for panhandling and loitering all over this country.

I mean if a public space is open to people, it is open to homeless people as well.  If it is closed then it is still closed.  But if any city is going to try to restrict homeless people from entire sections of the city then that is discriminatory and a basic violation of rights. 

We are talking in terms of allowing people to establish a domacile (SP?) on public spaces. Of course they are allowed to visit these people like any other person, but the difference is that just like anyone else, they would present not be allowed to stay there permenently if such is presently a restriction. This bill would ban those restrictions.

But what about a non-discrimination clause instead?  There are some places that have tried to get rid of homeless from hanging out in downtown areas, even though others are able to. Would you support making such policies illegal?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 01:17:40 PM »

Aye
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2014, 10:20:35 AM »

If we do move forward with this redraft, the name needs to be changed.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2014, 10:29:32 PM »
« Edited: July 02, 2014, 10:55:34 PM by shua »

abstain

the bill title really doesn't make sense to me, and I don't think that's good for our laws.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 09:29:35 AM »

So the other option in this case to make changes would have been if the sponsor reopened up debate, and then the Senate amend it, which the President could then sign.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies