WinDis Polls - 1: Abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:28:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  WinDis Polls - 1: Abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Poll
Question: What is your position on abortion?
Pro-life

Pro-choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: WinDis Polls - 1: Abortion  (Read 11805 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: March 03, 2010, 02:48:38 AM »

Besides the point. Many people deny that the fetus should be entitled to the rights of an adult human. From the perspective of an atheist libertarian, there isn't really any sensible reason why they would be.

Why not?  I've never understood why an atheist automatically has to be pro-choice.

You don't automatically have to be anything. There just isn't any compelling reason for an atheist to be pro-life, at least from the perspective of a liberties-based world view.

Um, it has nothing to do with religion. You either believe in basic human rights, or you don't.

We've been over this before. I believe in "human rights" because of a specific feature that distinguishes us from animals. It makes sense to me to think of it that way, since there must be some reason that we have rights & animals do not. Now, fetuses do not possess this specific feature...see what I'm getting at?
                                                              what specific feature? We are talking about a development here of a being that is already human even if there is not as much intelligence or what have you. isn't it at least only a matter of degree rather than a difference in kind?

I'm referring to a capacity for self-reflection, critical thought, & analytical thought; to wit, complex thought processes. I am not aware of fetuses having demonstrated any of those capabilities.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #151 on: March 03, 2010, 02:49:46 AM »

Besides the point. Many people deny that the fetus should be entitled to the rights of an adult human. From the perspective of an atheist libertarian, there isn't really any sensible reason why they would be.

Why not?  I've never understood why an atheist automatically has to be pro-choice.

You don't automatically have to be anything. There just isn't any compelling reason for an atheist to be pro-life, at least from the perspective of a liberties-based world view.

Um, it has nothing to do with religion. You either believe in basic human rights, or you don't.

We've been over this before. I believe in "human rights" because of a specific feature that distinguishes us from animals. It makes sense to me to think of it that way, since there must be some reason that we have rights & animals do not. Now, fetuses do not possess this specific feature...see what I'm getting at?

Yeah, and once again, you want to believe in an arbitrary definition of humanity because it supports your personal agenda. Sorry, but you can't force your beliefs on others.

I don't want to force my beliefs on the issue on anyone. That's why I'm pro-choice. Smiley
good ownage there. Wink

Yeah, PiT was owned pretty badly. I'm glad you are here to comfort him.
oh please. he got you there. If you can't admit that then you take this stuff to seriously. Everyone gets burned once in a while. It just happen to be you this time libertas.

Except I didn't get "burned". Learn how to follow a conversation please.
lol. denial is the first step. Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: March 03, 2010, 07:15:20 PM »

what specific feature? We are talking about a development here of a being that is already human even if there is not as much intelligence or what have you. isn't it at least only a matter of degree rather than a difference in kind?

I'm referring to a capacity for self-reflection, critical thought, & analytical thought; to wit, complex thought processes. I am not aware of fetuses having demonstrated any of those capabilities.
then when do you believe they arise? adolescence maybe? do mentally handicapped people not have these abilities either?
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2010, 02:49:51 AM »

then when do you believe they arise? adolescence maybe? do mentally handicapped people not have these abilities either?

They begin to develop in infancy (problematically, I don't think there's any way to fix the point these faculties begin to develop), & continue to develop until adulthood (notice how children are not allowed to do many things adults can, such as, say, buy or drive a car). I think mentally handicapped people, as well as anyone else who is not essentially a vegetable, have some capacity for complex thought, which therefore must be respected.
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2010, 06:52:10 PM »

Pro-life
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2010, 11:21:48 PM »

Pro-choice.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2010, 11:37:16 PM »

Sorry, but you can't force your beliefs on others.

Ah, so you're opposed to the banning of abortion now?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2010, 11:38:42 PM »

No, as I just said, you can't force your beliefs on others.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #158 on: March 04, 2010, 11:40:25 PM »

Exactly.  Therefore, in your view, people should be able to do whatever they want, with no exceptions.  Like kill people, for example.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2010, 12:01:21 AM »

Exactly.  Therefore, in your view, people should be able to do whatever they want, with no exceptions.  Like kill people, for example.

No, killing people is an example of forcing your beliefs upon others, contrary to natural law.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: March 05, 2010, 12:09:04 AM »

No, killing people is an example of forcing your beliefs upon others, contrary to natural law.

And not everyone shares that belief....
Conservative frontier
JC
United States

« Reply #161 on: March 05, 2010, 10:59:23 PM »

Who cares, Children are a gift from God, Abortion is not a right, it's a inhumane murder machine.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #162 on: March 07, 2010, 01:56:10 PM »

Who cares, Children are a gift from God, Abortion is not a right, it's a inhumane murder machine.

Not everyone believes that a fetus qualifies as a "child".  Similarly, the destruction of one would not qualify as murder.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #163 on: March 07, 2010, 09:15:52 PM »

Not everyone believes that a fetus qualifies as a "child".  Similarly, the destruction of one would not qualify as murder.

And those people are wrong.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies