FDA moves to ban trans fats
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:56:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  FDA moves to ban trans fats
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: FDA moves to ban trans fats  (Read 5200 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »
« edited: November 10, 2013, 11:21:43 AM by Puddle Splashers »

Can anyone make an argument against this that consists of something other than "RAR RAR FREEDOM!" ? For example Tik tried this in the debates on tobacco.

And funnel cakes are still very much legal in Denmark if anyone wants to try the slippery slope garbage.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »

Can anyone make an argument against this that consists of something other than "RAR RAR FREEDOM!" ? For example Tik tried this in the debates on tobacco.

And funnel cakes are still very much legal in Denmark if anyone wants to try the slippery slope garbage.

I would question what will the trans fats be replaced with.  If it's lard, as a vegetarian I wouldn't want to see that show up in my food. If it's palm oil, that has some health benefits, but also some health drawbacks and raises the concern about environmentally sustainable sourcing. 
Link
« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »

I would question what will the trans fats be replaced with.

Why question it?  You can just google.  The thing about this noncontroversy is tons of countries and corporations have taken steps to ban tranfats.  The nations largest retailer has already set date certain for banning tranfats from all its stores.

The FDA is not showing leadership.  It is just following a well established trend.  Why ask us?  Ask Walmart what they are doing.  And if you read what the FDA is saying it is still preliminary and open for industry comment.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Wow.  What bold visionary courage on the part of the FDA.  And how amazingly controversial.  Whatever are we the people going to do?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2013, 12:19:58 AM »

I would question what will the trans fats be replaced with.

Why question it?  You can just google. 

What do you want me to do, just take for granted the first link that shows up and ignore any ambiguity in it?  If you google it and have half an ounce of informational literacy you will understand that it is not a question with a single, obvious answer.   I did take your suggestion though and tried googling it specifically even though I had already read on this issue and found out about interesterified fats as a possible option - yeah that doesn't sound too great either.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2013, 12:51:43 AM »

Are there studies showing GMOs cause thousands of heart attacks each year?!  I thought GMOs cured diseases.  Am I wrong?

In all seriousness, GMOs have been terrific for farmers and corporations, but not so great for the end consumer. I don't believe that eating GMO corn will seriously hurt me, but I do fundamentally believe:

1) It is generally safer to eat non-GMO food.
2) It is generally safer to eat organic food.
3) Organic, non-GMO food tends to actually taste better. Much of the GMO activity in foods is meant to boost their shelf life. That doesn't lead to better tasting food. Quite the opposite, I find.

If you are of a middle class standing where you can afford to spend the extra cash to buy organic, non-GMO food, you probably should.

I don't really understand the basis for arguing #1 -- I've seen no empirical evidence that agrees with this -- and I'm also fairly confident that #3 (GMOs usually being used to increase shelf life) is not true.  I feel like you're writing about preservatives and not GMOs, but I'm not sure...
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #80 on: November 11, 2013, 01:37:36 AM »

Can anyone explain why food producers feel the need to use trans fats in the first place?  If we know now they're less healthy than natural fats, what is the point of using them as substitutes?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2013, 01:46:15 AM »

Can anyone explain why food producers feel the need to use trans fats in the first place?  If we know now they're less healthy than natural fats, what is the point of using them as substitutes?

They were somehow better for their short-term bottom line, so the MBAs went with it.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #82 on: November 11, 2013, 03:48:08 AM »

Trans fats have both a lower cost and a longer shelf life than the fats they replaced. Also, their method of production makes it fairly easy to tweak them to melt at a desired temperature.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2013, 04:19:41 AM »

Many companies have been phasing transfats out for a while now. Many started using them instead of tallow and lard thinking them to be healthier, but of course, we know better now.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »

Many companies have been phasing transfats out for a while now. Many started using them instead of tallow and lard thinking them to be healthier, but of course, we know better now.

My grandmother used this......constantly.  Everything tasted awesome.

muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2013, 11:16:50 AM »

Yep, it was reformulated in the mid-2000's to eliminate the trans fats.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #86 on: November 11, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #87 on: November 11, 2013, 12:58:35 PM »

Yep, it was reformulated in the mid-2000's to eliminate the trans fats.

To have less than 1g of trans fats, which they're allowed to advertise as 0g for some reason.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #88 on: November 11, 2013, 01:13:28 PM »

I would question what will the trans fats be replaced with.  If it's lard, as a vegetarian I wouldn't want to see that show up in my food.

We can't gear our decisions based on a small group of hippies.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: November 11, 2013, 01:28:54 PM »

I would question what will the trans fats be replaced with.  If it's lard, as a vegetarian I wouldn't want to see that show up in my food.

We can't gear our decisions based on a small group of hippies.

Okay, Mr Nixon.

Seriously though, decisions absolutely should be made with small groups of people in mind. That is essential to a functioning democracy in a free and diverse society, and it's why these decisions should be made by people accountable to constituents who look out for the interests of those they represent, not a narrowly focused bureaucracy.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #90 on: November 11, 2013, 01:32:27 PM »

Celeste's pizza deserves to die, and not because it has trans fat, but because it doesn't taste good.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #91 on: November 11, 2013, 01:36:56 PM »

Yep, [Crisco] was reformulated in the mid-2000's to eliminate the trans fats.

To have less than 1g of trans fats, which they're allowed to advertise as 0g for some reason.

It's called rounding.  It's same reason why calories on nutrition labels are always nice round numbers like 110 instead of 113.  To within the precision called for by law, it has 0g per serving.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #92 on: November 11, 2013, 01:43:44 PM »

The tropical oils (palm, palm kernel, and coconut) are the usual vegetarian choice of what to replace trans fats with.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #93 on: November 11, 2013, 01:55:09 PM »

I thought freedom died a long time ago.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: November 11, 2013, 10:17:06 PM »
« Edited: November 11, 2013, 10:22:19 PM by Sbane »

Yep, [Crisco] was reformulated in the mid-2000's to eliminate the trans fats.

It's called rounding.  It's same reason why calories on nutrition labels are always nice round numbers like 110 instead of 113.  To within the precision called for by law, it has 0g per serving.

Yup, and do you agree with dividing your 400 calorie meal into 6 parts in order to got a 0g per serving on the label?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies