CNN An 8.8-magnitude earthquake has struck Japan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:57:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  CNN An 8.8-magnitude earthquake has struck Japan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
Author Topic: CNN An 8.8-magnitude earthquake has struck Japan  (Read 35942 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: March 13, 2011, 08:09:14 PM »

I'm simply relaying my training when I worked in nuke power plants in '94-95...which is probably more training than sum total of the rest of you yahoos, aside from muon.

the only action I have taken is to inform my wife back in Houston to keep the Excursion's fuel tank at least 3/4 full for the next week until this plays out
You would be better received if you actually gave some confirmation this supposed effects of a meltdown. I'm sorry, but your claims simply do not seem plausible

But I am still a HUGE proponent of nuclear power.  The plant in question is old and the newer designs would not have had this problem.

Could you explain why?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #251 on: March 13, 2011, 08:20:11 PM »

The argument is of course that this is the oldest nuclear plant in Japan...

The level of radiation is dropping markedly, a friend of mine who is actually a nuclear scientist said the threat to anywhere outside of Japan is virtually nil (notwithstanding a catastrophic meltdown, which has not happened).

I'm not against nuclear power, but building nuclear plants near the coast... in Japan is not exactly a wise idea.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #252 on: March 13, 2011, 08:23:40 PM »

I'm not against nuclear power, but building nuclear plants near the coast... in Japan is not exactly a wise idea.

They're often (usually?) near the coast for cooling.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #253 on: March 13, 2011, 08:28:58 PM »

They're often (usually?) near the coast for cooling.

That's true, but many are built at sea-level, which I've always thought is a mistake.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #254 on: March 13, 2011, 09:29:12 PM »

Another tsunami warning for NE Japan. - - Fox
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #255 on: March 13, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »

Explosion in second Fukushima reactor!  CNN
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #256 on: March 13, 2011, 09:34:07 PM »

Confirmed by CNN.  The Japanese Army spotted 3 meter waves at sea.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #257 on: March 13, 2011, 09:36:10 PM »

MSNBC: "xplosion heard at Fukushima Dai-ichi reactor in northern Japan"
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #258 on: March 13, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »

Explosion in second Fukushima reactor!  CNN

Thought to be a hydrogen explosion, but #1 was seen to be smoking.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #259 on: March 13, 2011, 09:41:51 PM »

Confirmed by CNN.  The Japanese Army spotted 3 meter waves at sea.

CNN saying wave has dissipated.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #260 on: March 13, 2011, 09:42:24 PM »

Beet, your asteroid argument is just ridiculous.  The chances of an asteroid hit to a nuclear plant are infantesimal.

As for other alternatives... I'm all for having more wind farms and solar plants (preferably less coal).

As for nuclear power plants... they can be shut down.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #261 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:03 PM »

Beet, your asteroid argument is just ridiculous.  The chances of an asteroid hit to a nuclear plant are infantesimal.

As for other alternatives... I'm all for having more wind farms and solar plants (preferably less coal).

The Fukushima plants are shut down. You should call the Japanese government and tell them they have no problem. I'm sure they'd be elated to hear the news.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #262 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »

More people will die from the tsunami (or a meteor strike) than from a meltdown.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #263 on: March 13, 2011, 09:44:47 PM »

FOX News: Confirmed to be a hydrogen explosion
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #264 on: March 13, 2011, 09:45:37 PM »

Miyagi prefecture: 2,000 dead bodies discovered this morning.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #265 on: March 13, 2011, 09:52:11 PM »

Folks, Chernobyl is about as bad as your going to get from a nuclear plant disaster.  The chances of this one being Chernobyl-scale is pretty close to nil for a number of reasons (first of all the Soviets did not care about anyone, period), so imagine what are the odds of it being worse.

I still wouldn't want to be within 100 miles of these plants (or downwind a bit further).  Nor do I believe anything the Japs say (yet again).
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #266 on: March 13, 2011, 09:54:08 PM »

The Fukushima plants are shut down. You should call the Japanese government and tell them they have no problem. I'm sure they'd be elated to hear the news.

Those were shut down after they lost power, under emergency procedures, hardly ideal.  With warning time of even up to a day, you could easily bring the reaction under control and to shutdown stage (if not even cold shutdown stage with that much lead time).
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #267 on: March 13, 2011, 09:54:31 PM »

Folks, Chernobyl is about as bad as your going to get from a nuclear plant disaster.  The chances of this one being Chernobyl-scale is pretty close to nil for a number of reasons (first of all the Soviets did not care about anyone, period), so imagine what are the odds of it being worse.

I still wouldn't want to be within 100 miles of these plants (or downwind a bit further).  Nor do I believe anything the Japs say (yet again).

Chernobyl didn't have a containment vessel.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #268 on: March 13, 2011, 10:03:55 PM »

Those were shut down after they lost power, under emergency procedures, hardly ideal.  With warning time of even up to a day, you could easily bring the reaction under control and to shutdown stage (if not even cold shutdown stage with that much lead time).

A warning time of a day is not guaranteed for any disaster. With a warning time of a day, 9/11 could have been prevented too. Besides, 24 hours isn't sufficient. The reactors need at least 72 hours to cool.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #269 on: March 13, 2011, 10:07:20 PM »

A warning time of a day is not guaranteed for any disaster. With a warning time of a day, 9/11 could have been prevented too. Besides, 24 hours isn't sufficient. The reactors need at least 72 hours to cool.

Beet, if the situation that is so catastrophic that they can't shut it down, it won't make that much of a difference.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2011, 10:12:58 PM »

Beet, if the situation that is so catastrophic that they can't shut it down, it won't make that much of a difference.

What won't make that much of a difference? It always makes a difference if they can't shut down a reactor & the fallout that would ensue.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2011, 10:17:17 PM »

No, but 24 hour warning time for hurricanes (if not 48 hours) is pretty reliable.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2011, 10:21:17 PM »

No, but 24 hour warning time for hurricanes (if not 48 hours) is pretty reliable.

And 24 hours is not sufficient, as I said. It takes 72 hours to fully shut down a reactor. Besides, hurricane is only one of many potential risks.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2011, 10:22:55 PM »

What won't make that much of a difference? It always makes a difference if they can't shut down a reactor & the fallout that would ensue.

Beet, so far the death toll from radiation is zero.  The known death toll from the cause of the problem is 3,600.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2011, 10:24:29 PM »

Beet, so far the death toll from radiation is zero.  The known death toll from the cause of the problem is 3,600.

No, the death toll from radiation is unknown. One worker has died from being trapped in a shaft in the plant. This could very well have been radiation caused. I do not minimize the tsunami deaths from this discussion, both tsunami and nuclear problems are very real.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies