Layton temporarily stepping down
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 09:07:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Layton temporarily stepping down
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Layton temporarily stepping down  (Read 4703 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »

I just saw what he looks like on the news. I recognize it, I've seen it before. He looks like a shell of his former self. Even his voice is going.

My Dad is going through the same experience, and my prayers will be there for Jack and his family.

It is horrible.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2011, 05:43:15 PM »

He was obviously a seriously ill man during the campaign, which is what made it all the more amazing.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2011, 06:29:30 PM »

For those who didn't see the presser.

http://www.cbc.ca/video/#/News/1221258968/ID=2069363765

DL
Canada

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »

Paul Dewar (could be added to the list)

Some people think Libby Davies would run, but I don't think she'd manage to get more than a dozen votes - and I don't mean delegates.

I don't think Libby Davies would run in any case. She speaks no French which would be an immediate disqualification. I don't really care about who is or is not a "household name". The fact of the matter is that almost no one in an opposition caucus is ever a "household name". How many people do you think had ever heard of Layton when he first became leader. The people I would see as possibilities (moving from east to west) would be as follows:

Jack Harris (apparently incredibly intelligent - French is so-so)
Megan Leslie (maybe too early for her)
Thomas Mulcair (nothing more need be said, bilingual, former Quebec cabinet minister, but apparently rubs a lot of women in caucus the wrong way...)
I wish i could name anyone else in Quebec, but they are all too inexperienced at this stage.
Peggy Nash (she speaks very good French and presents very well etc...)
Charlie Angus (seems hip, speaks passable French)
Peter Julian

...and then there is always the possibility that Doer comes home to take the reins! who knows.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »

Mulcair is by far and away the best candidate of that bunch. His only problem is an abrasive temperament which sometimes gets away from him.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2011, 07:05:55 PM »
« Edited: July 25, 2011, 07:10:14 PM by Smid »

This is terrible! I hope this is treatable and I wish him a speedy recovery!
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »

Hope he has a speedy recovery and returns to the job.  I know he is a real fighter and can make it through this.
Foucaulf
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »

My god, it is cancer; horrible, because one can argue Layton is among the Canadian left's best politicians in history. Looking at some of the online reactions and there is a lot of class, apart from the absurd "If he knew he had cancer why did he continue as opposition leader" crap.

My opinion on the eventual succession: it is not that many of the RoC MPs have too many disadvantages, but that Mulcair has too many advantages. He has been in government, sold himself as a public face of the NDP and is the godfather to the Quebec MPs. Much more interesting is how the rest of the party will place to a possible NDP government; for example, Davies should never get close to cabinet, but I think she would fit as House Leader.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »

Paul Dewar (could be added to the list)

Some people think Libby Davies would run, but I don't think she'd manage to get more than a dozen votes - and I don't mean delegates.

I don't think Libby Davies would run in any case. She speaks no French which would be an immediate disqualification. I don't really care about who is or is not a "household name". The fact of the matter is that almost no one in an opposition caucus is ever a "household name". How many people do you think had ever heard of Layton when he first became leader. The people I would see as possibilities (moving from east to west) would be as follows:

Jack Harris (apparently incredibly intelligent - French is so-so)
Megan Leslie (maybe too early for her)
Thomas Mulcair (nothing more need be said, bilingual, former Quebec cabinet minister, but apparently rubs a lot of women in caucus the wrong way...)
I wish i could name anyone else in Quebec, but they are all too inexperienced at this stage.
Peggy Nash (she speaks very good French and presents very well etc...)
Charlie Angus (seems hip, speaks passable French)
Peter Julian

...and then there is always the possibility that Doer comes home to take the reins! who knows.

Maybe Pierre Ducasse? I think most Quebec NDPers are quite loyal to Mulcair and wont run. Yvon Godin is another possibility, as he is francophone and may not be as loyal to Mulcair as he was there long before him.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2011, 09:36:25 PM »

Dear god, did hear him speak!? His voice is different.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2011, 09:38:18 PM »

I couldn't watch it for more than a few seconds... I've seen cancer ravage so many people I'm close to... I see it on him... I couldn't watch it. Just couldn't...
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »

His broken voice makes me feel much better. It says to me that he might lose his voice - not his life.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2011, 09:40:03 PM »

I couldn't watch it for more than a few seconds... I've seen cancer ravage so many people I'm close to... I see it on him... I couldn't watch it. Just couldn't...
Before my gradmother passed away, the only person I'd ever been close to who died was the former PEI NDP leader, who died from Cancer. I used to donate to the Canadian Cancer Society on a regular basis, but atm I'm having trouble getting money for food; once I'm financially stable, I'll be going back to donating.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2011, 09:53:20 PM »

His voice was different, and definitely much thinner. Almost skin and bones, particularly noticeable on his skull.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »

He looks, as odd as it sounds, like he is ghost white but went into a tanning booth to look more healthy.
the506
Canada

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »

He looked and sounded much worse than he ever did during his first bout with cancer. As much as I hate to admit it, I tend to agree with the poster who said the choice of Turmel over Mulcair suggests that Layton isn't sure he'll return.

Layton was finally the one that broke the stereotype of the NDP being just a haven for far-left activists and union folks. They need him, and I wish only the best for him.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2011, 12:54:56 AM »

Like Jim Harris and the Greens, or Brown and the Liberals, sometimes fate does not allow the original "party builder" to reap the rewards of that newly built party.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:54 AM »

Davies is infamously known as a Truther , for those wondering why she's unacceptable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Xc_ttOtXYc

Forgot about Dewar, whom I like, but he's not a household name and doesn't have the charisma to make himself one. Doer is too old and unilingual, plus he worked for Harper. I don't think that would go over well with the NDP base.

David Miller: Why not just voluntarily surrender those 416 NDP seats back to the Grits? It would be quicker.

Julian: Another good choice if he chose to run, but nowhere near the star power and experience of Mulcair.

Lavirdiere: Too inexperienced, and too old by the time she gets the experience.

Wier: Who?

I Don't agree that Miller is that hated here, given some time, what Miller was able to get started or potentially could have brought to this city will start to be seen by those outside the left... especially when compared to current mayor Rob Ford who i can't see lasting more than one term.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2011, 07:46:44 AM »

Wow, he looks really bad. He's legitimately one of my favorite people in politics, so I hope he pulls through, but... Sad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2011, 07:54:25 AM »

What kind of cancer?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »

NDP sources tell the NP that the doctors don't know yet.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2011, 06:43:17 PM »

I really hope Jack pulls through! Such a great and seemingly genuine guy.

He looks 15 years older, this is so sad.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »

Turmel was confirmed at today's caucus meeting, final ratification by the NDP Federal Council (party executive) is tomorrow morning.

Many people in the comment threads seem to think that Layton's cancer has metastasized, but that's just speculation. Whatever the case may be, highly unlikely he's back in time just by appearance and voice alone.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »

ffs. Turmel was a member of the Bloc, and is still a member of QS. I wonder if this would hurt Mulcair's (possible) leadership run.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2011, 04:40:58 PM »

Being a member of the Bloc does not automatically mean you are a seppie.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies