Office of NE Speaker Alfred F. Jones: At Least Now I Won't Be Bothering Yankee (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:49:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of NE Speaker Alfred F. Jones: At Least Now I Won't Be Bothering Yankee (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Office of NE Speaker Alfred F. Jones: At Least Now I Won't Be Bothering Yankee  (Read 6510 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« on: September 22, 2012, 06:49:26 AM »

This is false.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »

National University and General Education Reform Bill:

I'm perfectly fine with this bill. I support a strong system of education (doesn't everyone?) and believe that a good university is a student's gateway to a good job and a bright future. I don't really see any problems with this bill. Move along, nothing to see here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalism
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »

National University and General Education Reform Bill:

I'm perfectly fine with this bill. I support a strong system of education (doesn't everyone?) and believe that a good university is a student's gateway to a good job and a bright future. I don't really see any problems with this bill. Move along, nothing to see here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federalism

And what part of the Constitution does the act go against? I want something in the Constitution, Sam, not that "REGIONAL RIGHTS!!!1!ONE!!11!" bullsh**t.

See my question in the President's press conference. The bill serves no purpose whatsoever other than to expand the powers of the federal government.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 09:15:55 PM »

Mr. President, can you explain the rationale for establishing a national university system and wasting millions in start-up costs instead of simply providing the funds to the regions to establish a new university (which would be just as good as any national university if they have the same funding) on the regional level?

You previously cited that one of your motives was to "introduce competition to regional public universities"; how does your bill aim to do that when it also drives into bankruptcy an entire class of universities, and when one of the sponsors of the bill stated on the floor of the Senate that "this is not a competition with them [regional universities]"?

What does this bill accomplish that could not be done on the regional level?

Is it unconstitutional to pass a law that punishes a college with a 50% tax hike simply due to their philosophy?

Sam, it appears your beef with this is simply that it's the feds doing it.

Why? Why--this is one of the things I hate about libertarians--are you only opposed to things like gay marriage bans or funding for education if the federal government does it? And about the "wasting millions in start-up costs", wouldn't providing funding to the regions just be "wasting millions in funding to the regions"? It'll cost money any way you slice it.

My beef is that A.) it's an expansion of the federal government, B.) it's driving all organizations that don't accept student loans (including some religious institutions) into bankruptcy, and C.) it's a waste of money.

And implying that I'm only opposed to gay marriage bans if the federal government does it is fundamentally incorrect. As for the millions in start-up costs, those are the millions you'd have to pour into yet another new government bureaucracy instead of a pre-existing one (as currently exists in the regions).
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:42:55 PM »

Mr. President, can you explain the rationale for establishing a national university system and wasting millions in start-up costs instead of simply providing the funds to the regions to establish a new university (which would be just as good as any national university if they have the same funding) on the regional level?

You previously cited that one of your motives was to "introduce competition to regional public universities"; how does your bill aim to do that when it also drives into bankruptcy an entire class of universities, and when one of the sponsors of the bill stated on the floor of the Senate that "this is not a competition with them [regional universities]"?

What does this bill accomplish that could not be done on the regional level?

Is it unconstitutional to pass a law that punishes a college with a 50% tax hike simply due to their philosophy?

Sam, it appears your beef with this is simply that it's the feds doing it.

Why? Why--this is one of the things I hate about libertarians--are you only opposed to things like gay marriage bans or funding for education if the federal government does it? And about the "wasting millions in start-up costs", wouldn't providing funding to the regions just be "wasting millions in funding to the regions"? It'll cost money any way you slice it.

My beef is that A.) it's an expansion of the federal government, B.) it's driving all organizations that don't accept student loans (including some religious institutions) into bankruptcy, and C.) it's a waste of money.

And implying that I'm only opposed to gay marriage bans if the federal government does it is fundamentally incorrect. As for the millions in start-up costs, those are the millions you'd have to pour into yet another new government bureaucracy instead of a pre-existing one (as currently exists in the regions).

1. I frankly don't see what's objectively bad about an expansion of the federal government. I doubt either of us will convince each other on that.

2. Well, they should accept student loans. I think that should happen.

3. It'll cost money any way you slice it; I just said that. It'll cost money even if we just give the regions the money.

The bit about gay marriage was just a part of my rant about libertarians. And not all libertarians, just regional-rights people.

1.) And I don't see how much good can come from expanding the federal government.

2.) Yes, but that's authoritarianism... "Change your beliefs or we'll slap you with a huge tax burden"?

3.) The point is that it'll cost more money if you do it on a federal level.

As for gay marriage... Gov. Johnson promotes having the federal government protecting the right to gay marriage in all states. Just saying.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 08:54:22 AM »

That is absurd. If you reach any more than that, your arm will get disconnected.

If a fish can take a ladder, then you can take the stairs.

I don't think regional boundaries should stand in the way of a good education. A small network of prestigious public universities that offer a more diverse and cultured education should be available within reasonable proximity no matter what region one resides in.

Are you implying that our current public universities are not "diverse" or "cultured"?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »

I'd suggest here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies