Livid at The Media after debate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 12, 2024, 03:14:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Livid at The Media after debate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Livid at The Media after debate  (Read 2192 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2012, 01:11:46 PM »

Time to take off your Obama sunglasses.

Romney won the debate without question, and this is coming from someone who was on the brink of being undecided before it happened. Of course, the media wants a horse race, but they are hardly in the tank for Romney. He performed well, was in command, and seemed much more polished than Obama. Maybe his style was not your style, the strong, alpha male dominating the stage, but that usually plays well to most crowds. The same thing happened in 2004. Bush was beaten badly by Kerry. I came away from that debate convinced he had lost the election because he looked downright pathetic, agitated, confused and unfocused. I thought Kerry looked in command, focused and knowledgable. But at that time, I saw the country improving under W, so I stayed in his camp. Had he looked just as bad during the next 2 debates, he would've lost my vote and the election.

And Obama actually spoke more than Romney, so it isn't like Mitt dominated the airtime. Obama will have to turn things around before the next debate or Mitt will win this election. He has the momentum now. Like Bush, Obama will have to stop the bleeding in the next one.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2012, 03:22:57 PM »
« Edited: October 08, 2012, 03:30:29 PM by Beet »

Yup, I just finished watching it, and I've reached two conclusions. First, I think Obama lost the debate more than Romney won. Romney was smooth, and did well, but his points were full of holes which Obama never called him out on. He wasn't transcendental, merely solid, which means that a smart opponent at the top of his game could have gone toe to toe with him easily. Secondly, the style issues are clearly what killed Obama. Which makes me even more worried than I was before.

The scowl, the stuttering, the downcast face, the occasional wincing, the bended leg, the lack of response to many of Romney's statements, the letting Romney get the last word on just about every segment. Obama was making good points, but he wasn't using those points effectively to rebut what Romney was saying. He seemed like a schoolboy taking an oral test, trying hard to reiterate the points he was taught and explain them, but not understanding their true significance, not thinking about the context. He managed to repeat the basics, but struggled so hard to do so that he was unable to make it sound smooth, elegant, and give it the extra flourish that it needs. The overall effect was of a man lacking energy, intimidated, defeated. Just not someone who enjoys talking about not only the issues, but competing political and governance philosophies, someone who isn't even passionate about defending his own record and achievements. He really needs a kick in the ass.

What worries me now even more than before is that I see that a lot of the things that characterized Obama's weak performance last Wednesday have been with him through his entire Presidency. The stuttering-- the "uhs" -- have always been there, for instance. I'm doubtful that he's going to be able to change for the next two debates.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2012, 03:38:26 PM »

Bush didn't win any of the debates with Kerry, really. He was better in the two followup ones but still clearly lost them. At the end of the day, it didn't matter though.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2012, 03:51:30 PM »

Beet is worried about something... everyone can relax!
milhouse24
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2012, 04:01:44 PM »

Bush didn't win any of the debates with Kerry, really. He was better in the two followup ones but still clearly lost them. At the end of the day, it didn't matter though.

You know your in trouble, when Liberals are praying that Obama is just like Bush (and being a Good Thing!) LOL.

Yes, the talking point is that Obama is just as awful at debates as GW Bush, excellent!  And Bush somehow squeaked a win. 

This is a sure-fire way to excite Liberals!
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2012, 04:15:38 PM »

I think you're in denial about how representative of mainstream America your views are.  I've been shocked by Obama's apparent numbers but I think they're now coming home to roost.  IMO, the H2H from here will look bad for Obama, barring major gaffes on the GOP side.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2012, 04:18:27 PM »

I think you're in denial about how representative of mainstream America your views are.  I've been shocked by Obama's apparent numbers but I think they're now coming home to roost.  IMO, the H2H from here will look bad for Obama, barring major gaffes on the GOP side.

Bandit has one huge blind spot - he thinks much too highly of people.  But I think you and I know racism, and the white American voter, don't we, Glob?
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2012, 04:20:23 PM »

Bandit has one huge blind spot - he thinks much too highly of people.  But I think you and I know racism, and the white American voter, don't we, Glob?

I have no doubt that there are moderate/independent voters who will vote Romney solely on racial considerations.  I'd estimate they're less than the margin of victory, however.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2012, 04:26:56 PM »

I have no doubt that there are moderate/independent voters who will vote Romney solely on racial considerations.  I'd estimate they're less than the margin of victory, however.

What now?  The margin of victory is likely to be 1-3%, and something like 98% of your parties voters are.. well you know what they are.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2012, 04:35:52 PM »

What now?  The margin of victory is likely to be 1-3%, and something like 98% of your parties voters are.. well you know what they are.

I'm independent and voting for Johnson.  I'll leave the identity politics to your fantasy world.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2012, 04:52:51 PM »

What worries me now even more than before is that I see that a lot of the things that characterized Obama's weak performance last Wednesday have been with him through his entire Presidency. The stuttering-- the "uhs" -- have always been there, for instance. I'm doubtful that he's going to be able to change for the next two debates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=819q62ZMYVk
Obama's most commonly used word. 

It's hard to focus when he speaks because after you process the stuttering, the "Uhs" the long pauses followed by an irrelevant or an incoherent rambling, and the empty rhetoric you really are left with a headache.  Significant numbers of people are starting to tune him out.  People may be starting to listen to Romney.       
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2012, 04:54:23 PM »

I'm independent and voting for Johnson.  I'll leave the identity politics to your fantasy world.

Well, Johnson voters are mostly that-a-way too, so you know what I'm talking about.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2012, 08:07:15 PM »

You know your in trouble, when Liberals are praying that Obama is just like Bush (and being a Good Thing!) LOL.

Yes, the talking point is that Obama is just as awful at debates as GW Bush, excellent!  And Bush somehow squeaked a win.  

This is a sure-fire way to excite Liberals!

I'm not trying to excite anyone. I'm hardly a serious Obama fan these days or anything. I'm just stating the facts, Van Houten.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies