What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 02:16:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)  (Read 41416 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: July 26, 2013, 12:06:05 AM »

The Conjouring

This started off strong but got dumber and worse the more it went on and how more explicit it got. The ending in particular too was pretty lame. Still shows that James Wan is capable of directing far better movies than Saw.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #351 on: July 27, 2013, 08:41:50 PM »

The Conjouring

This started off strong but got dumber and worse the more it went on and how more explicit it got. The ending in particular too was pretty lame. Still shows that James Wan is capable of directing far better movies than Saw.

Yeah, I saw this the other night and it didn't quite live up to the hype. I loved the setting and atmosphere (especially since it was set in the late 60s/early 70s) and all of the acting was solid but the story wasn't anything special. And why do all of the ghosts/ghouls/evil dolls in these movies have to look exactly the same as each other these days?

Obviously this was a lot better than those garbage Saw films but I thought Sinister, for example, was a lot better than this.

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #352 on: August 05, 2013, 04:52:20 PM »

2 Guns.

I can honestly say that if this movie had cast anyone else it would've sucked. Mark Wahlberg and Denzel Washington are the only two people who could've played those characters to be as entertaining as they were. Imagine if the asshole sergeant in The Departed teamed up with the corrupt cop in Training Day to get an idea. Script was pretty dumb otherwise, but those two kept things awesome, along with the way over the top playing of the villain, and the main female played by someone who basically made it impossible to think anything other than "Damn she is hot!" every time she was on screen.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #353 on: August 11, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »

Elysium

Much like District 9, I thought this movie's premise was much better than the implementation. It had a lot of illogic in the plot to things that bordered on plot holes, in that a lot of things the people on Elysium did seemed more like oppressing Earth than for their benefit, maybe this was intentional since the 1% does a lot of such things too, but there wasn't even an attempt to explain a lot of this. Primarily the medbay technology that kind of drove the plot. Why weren't they available on Earth? They were so prevalent on Elysium that it seemed every household had one, like refrigerators in modern day middle class America, so they couldn't be prohibitively expensive, plus Earth had things like an automated police force and implied legal system as well, and if Earth had medbays that'd solve most of the illegal immigration problem Elysium was dealing with. Earth also had modern day style hospitals, which would overall be more expensive to run than having a few medbays available, after all these things could basically completely fix up a person in a few seconds, so it's not like hordes were even needed. It's just like District 9, the analogy to the modern day is obvious, but it still doesn't fit all that well.

But if you just want to see some well done sci-fi action stuff, it's pretty good for that.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #354 on: August 26, 2013, 04:25:48 AM »

The Spectacular Now

Would it be too hackneyed to call it spectacular? In any case, I had been looking forward to seeing this for a while, and it's certainly the second-best 2013 movie I've seen. It says a lot about this movie that its setting is utterly alien to any experiences I ever had in high school, and yet every character is perfectly relatable. While the acting is excellent across the board, Miles Teller steals the show as the charming alcoholic teenager; we find ourselves irresistibly drawn to him as much as Shailene Woodley is.

If this is playing near you, watch it. It's beautiful.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #355 on: September 05, 2013, 09:47:18 PM »

Machete.

Just excellent.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #356 on: September 12, 2013, 10:17:44 PM »

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls

Think it would've been better had it been a series of episodes. There wasn't enough time to develop all the characters' human equivalents, some with potential got basically just cameos like the Cutie Mark Crusaders and Cherilee (surprising in the latter case with her being a teacher) and while I kind of liked the idea of the villain becoming a sort of Libby Alpha Bitch in the high school the ending with her becoming a literal demon was far too silly. The best aspects was probably Twilight not adjusting to being a human and still falling into pony traits. Still any fan of the show should see it, especially as its so short (probably its biggest flaw, it's only about equivalent to three episodes.)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #357 on: September 13, 2013, 06:49:20 AM »

I started When in Rome because I like seeing movies taking place in cities I've visited, but I didn't finish it partly because I was annoyed at the implausibility of the taxi ride from the Pantheon to St Peter's and back to the Trajan's Forum or the use of a fake 'Fountain of Love' when, yeah, there's the f-ing Trevi Fountain.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #358 on: September 14, 2013, 08:18:18 PM »

The Nightmare Before Christmas.

I've watched it several times before, but I have no life and it's instant stream on Netflix. Still good.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #359 on: September 14, 2013, 11:53:32 PM »

Star Trek Into Darkness

Great.  I liked it more than the 2009 one.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #360 on: September 15, 2013, 04:56:24 AM »

Se7en

It's only like the third time I've seen it (first time being a couple months ago). It's a very good movie and the ending doesn't get any less disturbing each time around.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #361 on: September 15, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »
« Edited: September 15, 2013, 10:38:45 AM by DemPGH, V.P. »

I only read this page and half of the one before it, but has anyone seen The Great Gatsby? It's normally not my kind of material, but it looks reasonably intelligent, and at this point in America cinema, I'll take, when in the mood, almost anything intelligent.

I have had for a while on DVD Love Ranch with Joe Pesci and Helen Mirren but have not watched it yet - wow, what an odd pairing. It might actually work, though, because odd pairings certainly happen in real life. I've read reviews of the movie that differ a great, vast deal, so when I get two hours I'll watch it. I guess Pesci is his normal self while Mirren is his wife who keeps track of the books and starts a romance with a boxer Pesci recruits. That should be interesting.

Incidentally, I guess there was supposed to be a Mob movie called The Irishman or something with Pesci, but the plug got pulled on it. Too bad.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #362 on: September 15, 2013, 07:55:55 PM »

A few...

The Great Gatsby
I think the problem is that the story (of the movie and the book) just isn't that interesting (at least to me), and so while in the book you're still entertained by Fitzgerald's command of language, you don't really have that in the movie. Also it's very weird watching a movie that was made to be watched in 3D in 2D on your laptop screen. I thought it was cool how they replaced jazz with hip-hop though.

World War Z
I thought this was fantastic, one of my favorite zombie movies. The first part especially when they were escaping from Philadelphia was really intense and scary. It slowed down a bit after that, but it was still a great zombie adventure movie.

The Bling Ring
Really uninteresting and boring. The whole time I wanted to just rewatch Spring Breakers instead. Also Emma Watson needs to stop playing American characters; her accent is garbage.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #363 on: September 15, 2013, 08:15:24 PM »

What she actually needs to do is take acting lessons.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #364 on: September 19, 2013, 10:11:17 PM »

ARGO

Well made and enjoyable but Best Picture?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #365 on: September 20, 2013, 12:08:04 AM »

The World's End

Excellent. Probably the best film in the Cornetto Trilogy and easily one of the best films of the year.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #366 on: September 20, 2013, 01:55:31 AM »

ARGO

I thought Lincoln was more Best Picture worthy, but it's hard for Spielberg films to earn votes with him being the perpetual overdog.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #367 on: September 21, 2013, 12:02:06 AM »

ARGO

I thought Lincoln was more Best Picture worthy, but it's hard for Spielberg films to earn votes with him being the perpetual overdog.

Beasts of the Southern Wild was better than either of them. As was The Master (which didn't even get nominated!).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #368 on: September 21, 2013, 10:20:37 AM »

Also Amour.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #369 on: September 22, 2013, 01:21:01 AM »

Prisoners.

I'm glad this movie was made, ones like this used to be common in the 90s but are kind of rare nowadays, it lacked any of the stupid gimmicks one would expect in a modern film of this ilk like ridiculous over the top torture devices or completely out of nowhere implausible plot twists. More along the lines of David Fincher's earlier works a must-see for any fans of those.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2013, 01:33:55 PM »

I saw Prisoners and The World's End this week.

Prisoners was great.  The World's End started out great but IMO the third act was insufferably boring.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »

The Purge

Cool concept, very bad and hackneyed execution.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #372 on: September 28, 2013, 12:21:04 AM »

Does anyone else agree the trailer for American Hustle feels more like an SNL or some humor website's parody of a movie of this type? It's too bad because the movie sounds interesting (and granted probably still will be good, it's just that the marketing is dumb.)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #373 on: October 03, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »

Gravity

Pretty impressive, if I may say so.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #374 on: October 03, 2013, 07:20:23 PM »

I haven't seen a movie in a movie theater in months, but yesterday I watched The Little Mermaid with my cousin (since it just came out on DVD/Blu-ray/Amazon streaming.)  Wonderful film, if I may say so myself; one of Disney's finest classics.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies