What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 01:56:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen? (2nd thread)  (Read 41414 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: December 16, 2013, 03:21:55 PM »

Yes. Yes it is.

Inside Llewyn Davies.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #426 on: December 19, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »

I recently watched Hunger Games and today followed up with Catching Fire. Really an excellent series, I can't forgive myself for missing it out when it first started.

Truly fantastic characters (it's already rare enough to find a genuine female lead, but it did a particularly good job at avoiding and even subverting sexist tropes), and a very well-thought premise (one of most creative ideas in recent times for an apocalyptic future with disturbing elements from modern society). If these are adaptations, I can only imagine how good the original books were.

The awful thing is that I'll have to wait for a while to see the conclusion. Tongue
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #427 on: December 19, 2013, 05:25:36 PM »

Carrie. Never again.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #428 on: December 19, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »

I recently watched Hunger Games and today followed up with Catching Fire. Really an excellent series, I can't forgive myself for missing it out when it first started.

Truly fantastic characters (it's already rare enough to find a genuine female lead, but it did a particularly good job at avoiding and even subverting sexist tropes), and a very well-thought premise (one of most creative ideas in recent times for an apocalyptic future with disturbing elements from modern society). If these are adaptations, I can only imagine how good the original books were.

The awful thing is that I'll have to wait for a while to see the conclusion. Tongue

I did like the movies and books, but got to object to it being called "one of most creative ideas in recent times". Tongue  Two Words: Battle Royale. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_Royale

DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #429 on: December 23, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

Coming April 2014 - NFL Network just had a preview.

Draft Day - Kevin Costner and Denis Leary, it's about a guy who takes on the Cleveland Browns as a building project (the Browns have been the sad losers of the league since the 1990s). Looks good. There's every chance I'll go watch it. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #430 on: December 27, 2013, 02:44:23 PM »

Blue is the Warmest Color. Hmmmm.....
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #431 on: December 29, 2013, 12:12:27 PM »

American Hustle

For all the obvious strengths this film had, it did have some flaws, one I think is that the strengths are sooo obvious, well acted, but everyone would expect that with the case (when you think about it it's pretty funny now not only is Bradley Cooper appearing in plenty of "serious" movies but it's also expected he gives a caliber performance), captures the time well, well directed, etc. But the story kind of lagged at times and there were stretches when it seemed the movie wasn't really about anything, just whatever the Bale and Adams characters happened to be doing at the time. Both began and ended on very strong notes though so that makes up for it. Also rather funny a lot of the time too surprisingly.

Also for anyone who thinks Jennifer Lawrence is the ultimate sweetheart know that her character in this movie (in addition to probably being about 10 years older than Jennifer Lawrence is, though not that big of a deal) is quite annoying. Not a bad thing, it means she plays the role well since that's what the character is supposed to be, but unlike a typical Jennifer Lawrence character she's more of a dumb that provides comic relief. But just Playing Against Type.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #432 on: December 29, 2013, 12:35:49 PM »

Last movie I seen in a theater was Anchorman 2.  Went Monday at 10:30 at night to watch it with my old high school friends. Never seen the original so I was kind of expecting it to suck, but oddly enough I loved it! It was random as hell but I never lost interest for sure. Prob my favorite Ferell movie, not his biggest fan. Need to watch the first though.

Christmas Day I watched an old 1980's flick called Tough Enough, one of my dad's favorites. It was a Rocky rip off set in Texas with Dennis Quaid in it, who is a country western singer who enters a nationwide toughman boxing series. It was actually quite good, never boring and well directed. Better than I expected for sure. Surprise it is forgotten about.

I also watched FDR American Badass!, and I loved it! Way out there, and makes FDR look silly. but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Barry Bostwick was a good FDR I must say
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #433 on: December 29, 2013, 02:37:50 PM »

The Wolf of Wall Street

Saw it a few days ago. Pretty enjoyable and I do have to apologize to BRTD, because it mostly is a comedy (albeit a very dark one).  It was extraordinarily long but I'm not sure what they could've cut out. The worst part was the shoehorned use of "Everlong" into one scene, which took place before the song was released and was just cringeworthy.

My biggest gripe about the movie is that it's going to lead some to idolize a really, really awful person who is probably still scamming people at this very moment. I'm also not convinced that all of the wild stuff that he claims happened (both in the film and the original book) actually took place. It's obviously hard to trust a person like that.

I would've liked to have seen more about the FBI's investigation, although that's probably not covered too much by the source material.

Still worthwhile if you've got the time. I'm looking forward to seeing American Hustle to compare the two.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #434 on: December 30, 2013, 01:00:28 AM »

I saw The Wolf of Wall Street last night. I enjoyed it; it was much funnier than I was expecting. My main criticism was that it kinda dragged toward the end. I think the sex scenes and nudity were a bit too excessive, but then again, I guess the whole premise of the story is wretched excess.
Aliens
Invader
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -6.09

« Reply #435 on: December 30, 2013, 03:11:38 AM »

The last movie I saw in theaters was The Conjuring, which was way too long ago.  I wanted to see A Madea Christmas but it looks like that won't be happening.  
Knives
solopop
« Reply #436 on: December 30, 2013, 06:06:33 AM »

American Hustler 9/10
Anchorman 2 - 5/10
Frozen - 10/10 incredible.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #437 on: December 31, 2013, 02:15:24 AM »

Left wing propaganda, really. It advocates the working class uniting against 'the real enemy' instead of competing against one another in an unwinnable game. The first 2 movies are about the struggle to raise 'class consciousness'.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #438 on: December 31, 2013, 03:02:32 AM »

Frances Ha

Good stuff. It didn't hurt that most of the movie takes place in areas I know quite well (Brooklyn and Poughkeepsie). BRTD should check this one out.

Prince Avalanche

Also really good.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #439 on: December 31, 2013, 03:19:34 AM »

Rush

You need to see this. Absolutely fascinating.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #440 on: December 31, 2013, 05:53:52 AM »

Frozen

Amazing movie.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #441 on: December 31, 2013, 06:13:35 PM »

Kind Hearts and Coronets was on the telly so I watched it. Very much of its period (though with some amusing punchlines, particularly the last one), but Alec Guinness as the entire octet of murder victims remains monstrously fun and the film is worth watching just for him. And with that, I bid thee farewell for the year. Try not to get too appallingly drunk, kiddies.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #442 on: December 31, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #443 on: January 01, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »

The remake or the original? Because the original is one of the great Brian De Palma movies.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #444 on: January 01, 2014, 02:14:18 AM »

American Hustle is really good. Great performances all around. I'm not really sure how the entire thing wasn't entrapment though?

Also I'm glad that they portrayed the corrupt mayor as the good guy and meddling FBI agent as the bad guy.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #445 on: January 01, 2014, 02:35:18 AM »

American Hustle is really good. Great performances all around. I'm not really sure how the entire thing wasn't entrapment though?

Also I'm glad that they portrayed the corrupt mayor as the good guy and meddling FBI agent as the bad guy.

That's a bit of a stretch. The more likable character is not necessarily "the good guy".
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #446 on: January 01, 2014, 02:56:53 AM »

Anchorman 2.

Was hilarious, but the first one was better.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #447 on: January 01, 2014, 10:29:56 AM »

The last time I went to the cinema I watched The German Doctor (Wakolda), by Argentinian filmmaker Lucía Puenzo, which is an adaptation of a novel written by Puenzo herself named Wakolda. It's a fiction on Doctor Mengele's stay in Argentina (around 1960) and his strange relation with an Argentinian family -they don't know his true identity, of course- and a girl too small for her age -her doll's name is Wakolda and her father has ability to make pretty dolls- in the way to Bariloche . Disturbing and fascinating, with a careful mise en scène, good performances and beautiful landscapes around Bariloche. Themes by Australian band The Dirty Three are in the soundtrack, which is a bonus point for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1847746/

I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #448 on: January 02, 2014, 07:04:37 PM »

I love both Frozen and the Hobbit Desolation of Smaug!
I have seen the new Hobbit twice in theaters!
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #449 on: January 02, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »

Movies I have seen recently (like past month or so):

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - quality. I didn't like how it ended, and it did go on for a little long, but yeah it's a quality series. Good acting, concept, etc. 4/5

Django Unchained - mostly very good, it gave a good insight into the slave trade and it was well made. It could've done with much better editing though, felt like there was too much irrelevant scenes for OTT violence and the ending was way too dragged out, though I guess that's Tarantino for you. 4/5

Tinker Sailor Soldier Spy - first half was pretty slow and kinda hard to follow. The second half was good though. Very well made if the plot has been used in about 1000 films. 3.5/5

Argo - class. The movie didn't really have a lot of slow parts and it was actually kinda funny too. Very well made and I can see why it won an Oscar. Only flaw was a sappy ending (which tbf was kinda predictable) and a few scenes being OTT. 4.5/5
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies