SENATE BILL: The Wiki Reform Act of 2013 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 06:00:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Wiki Reform Act of 2013 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Wiki Reform Act of 2013 (Law'd)  (Read 2081 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 12, 2013, 01:25:40 AM »
« edited: March 01, 2013, 08:05:51 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: jdb
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 01:27:02 AM »

Senator, you have 24 hours to start advocating for this.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 01:00:12 PM »
« Edited: February 12, 2013, 05:42:08 PM by Senator X »

My friends, The Wiki Reform Act of 2013 is not the answer, but the first step.  Wiki reform has been an issue since long before my time and I am not so arrogant as to think I have all the answers.  What I do know though is that action is needed and I believe that this bill provides a good framework for a major wiki reform measure.  I encourage any of you with ideas about wiki reform to propose amendments, whether they pass or not, we need to have a serious discussion about this issue.  We owe it to The People to do at least much as The People have demanded an up-to-date wiki (and rightly so).  What I hope will emerge from this in the end is an amended bill that represents a serious effort to tackle the issue of wiki reform.  I've started the debate and this is my beginning contribution.  Gentlemen, the ball is now in your court and I eagerly await your amendments and ideas Smiley
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 01:11:37 PM »

I'm not going to repeat myself a third time, but just letting everyone know that I support this bill or some form of it, and you could see a detailed support in both the judiciary and game reform committees.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 07:13:47 PM »

Hasn't something similar to this been proposed by the Marokai/Duke campaign? I know for a fact that Marokai and I have discussed something like that, as we both are very interested in updating the Wiki.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:30:11 PM »

I don't oppose this, but do we really need a bill for this? Can't three people just decide to form their own task force?

If it had been as easy as that, three people already would have. By creating an official commission accountable to a Senate Committee, responsibility will be taken much more seriously and we could actually get some updates done.

My only qualm would be giving control of this comittee to GOR. It seems that committee is already the most active in the Senate, and it looks like Judiciary (due to its partial jurisdiction over the Attorney General) and lesser responsibilities at this period in time, would be a better fit.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:35:12 PM »

But how would this work? Would they update governmental pages (SC cases, statute), or would they update individual members profiles? This doesn't seem Necessary.

They would update whatever they were told to update by the respective Senate Committee, obviously. And it seems that the GOR Committee has prioritized statute and SC cases over individual member profiles, although all these would seem like good areas to update.

I personally support this bill and think it's a great step towards updating our Wiki (we've made a good deal of progress recently and I sincerely believe this would continue that).  
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:45:30 PM »

But how would this work? Would they update governmental pages (SC cases, statute), or would they update individual members profiles? This doesn't seem Necessary.

They would update whatever they were told to update by the respective Senate Committee, obviously. And it seems that the GOR Committee has prioritized statute and SC cases over individual member profiles, although all these would seem like good areas to update.

I personally support this bill and think it's a great step towards updating our Wiki (we've made a good deal of progress recently and I sincerely believe this would continue that).  

Can't someone on that committee just update it themselves, or just PM someone to do it? The Wiki committee should be in charge of finding information, if anything.

Out of curiosity, what's the harm in passing this bill in your opinion other than "people can do it on their own time instead"? Of course the members of the GOR committee can continue to update it themselves, but considering they already are busy with senatorial work, it's not always feasible. Not to mention this is a great way for newbies (who have displayed prior competence) to show their skills at work.

And your second point doesn't make sense- obviously they're finding information to put into the Wiki. That's the point of this bill.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2013, 07:57:38 PM »

Let it be known that should it pass, this is a committee I would be interested in serving on.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 02:39:38 AM »

Individual member profiles are and should remain the responsbility of the individual members themselves. We we start doing it for others, then you really will run into court cases about malicious editting of the wiki (which I do beleive is a felony punishable by loss of voting rights).

In that same though, Nix has a point about "official sanction" providing a green light to do the sort of massive overhaul that is needed. Also, as stated in my last speech and on the committee, we could make this a temporary thing that comes up for extention every three or four months.

I don't oppose this, but do we really need a bill for this? Can't three people just decide to form their own task force?

Oh no, Wolf just put half the game reform movement out of business. Tongue Wink Individual initiative (on a collective basis) would could cure half our problems, in fact some problems that we can't really effectively fix by legislation.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »

I don't really see anything wrong with this, and I'll probably vote for it... but haven't we already passed legislation creating a similar sort of panel? I don't know if it's a good idea to make the waters even murkier with another level of bureacracy if we can avoid it...

Also, I'd be open to shipping this duty over to the Judiciary. Although it probably won't be me in the chairman role now that I've taken on some more duties in my party.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 12:26:39 AM »

I am beginning to like my idea of a sunset even more then.

Quote from: Restricted
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 06:20:38 AM »

No feedback or reponses?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2013, 07:18:26 AM »

I support it
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2013, 10:10:33 AM »

The amendment has been adopted. Any other concerns?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2013, 10:17:27 AM »

Section 4 seems weird.  Is something missing?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 11:46:14 AM »

Amendment by Senator X

Sponsor: jdb
[/quote]
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 12:01:08 PM »

The intent here is great, but I'm not sure a technocratic sounding layer of bureaucracy, given to the committees, will do much good.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2013, 04:29:34 PM »

I would be open to doing something more informal on the Fantasy Elections board - i.e. starting a thread devoted to discussing ongoing edits, needed updates, and the like, and inviting active editors to collaborate. We could call it the "Citizens Wiki Improvement Initiative" or something like that.

The advantage of this approach is that it adds the weight of official sanction and designation of responsibility, but I understand your reasons for being skeptical of its potential for effectiveness. That said, I'll support whatever direction X prefers to take on this project.

I would definitely support a Citizens Wiki Improvement Initiative if this doesn't work.  I will include the provision you mentioned earlier Senator Nix as well as a prioritization as recommended by the GOR Committee. 
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »

Amendment by Senator X

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2013, 06:01:32 AM »

Senator X are you offering both amendments here, or just the last one?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2013, 11:55:28 AM »

Senator X are you offering both amendments here, or just the last one?

Just the second of my amendments (since it also includes what was in the first), although I still want yours to be added as well.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 07:07:17 AM »

Don't worry, we fixed that problem the last time we had Napoleon at the party. Grin You have to strikethrough or specifically state what is removed, or it stays. Exclusion from amendment text does not eliminate something unless stated otherwise basically.

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2013, 07:07:54 AM »

Amendment 53:25 has been adopted.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length