13-Hour Abortion Filibuster
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 07, 2024, 12:49:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  13-Hour Abortion Filibuster
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: 13-Hour Abortion Filibuster  (Read 8682 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 27, 2013, 01:47:47 PM »

Although being a teen mom does make her lose a bit of credibility

...how?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #76 on: June 27, 2013, 03:55:00 PM »

If anything, that enhances her credibility on this particular issue.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #77 on: June 27, 2013, 05:11:57 PM »

What a fighter.

It's a shame that she's not running for anything higher next year, according to Wikipedia.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #78 on: June 27, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »

What a fighter.

It's a shame that she's not running for anything higher next year, according to Wikipedia.

Why?  You want her to lose?

I sincerely doubt this has enhanced her ability to run for statewide office in Texas.  Indeed, it ruined whatever slim chance she may have had for the foreseeable future.

The only higher office she might be able to win is U.S. House and then only if she is replacing or succeeding another Democrat.

I'm not saying she deserves to be blocked from higher office, just pointing out that she is.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2013, 08:57:55 PM »

Haha! Pwned.

Someone tell Wendy that Mr. Perry has been elected by the good people of Texas for over 20 years, and that the good people of Texas don't go for San Francisco values.

If people like Wendy Davis had their way Texas might have a horrifying income tax.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2013, 09:00:27 PM »

I may be wrong but at some point last night I seem to recall learning she's in a minority-majority district

No, the VAP of both the existing Senate district is 53% Anglo. The VAP of the Senate district that Abbott/Perry may or may not decide to put in place is 59% Anglo. Only a portion of Arlington is in the district, it is mostly Ft. Worth.

Perhaps some conservative Anglos can be convinced on the basis that available abortion will slow the growth of the Hispanic population in the state.

Why? Mr. Romney did better in Texas than Mr. Dukakis did 24 years ago.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #81 on: June 27, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »

What a fighter.

I sincerely doubt this has enhanced her ability to run for statewide office in Texas.  Indeed, it ruined whatever slim chance she may have had for the foreseeable future.

The only higher office she might be able to win is U.S. House and then only if she is replacing or succeeding another Democrat.

I'm not saying she deserves to be blocked from higher office, just pointing out that she is.

Well, if Perry ends up running again, it's possible that he's damaged himself enough the past two years to make the race at least somewhat competitive.  But thinking about it, it's probably better that Davis sit out until Texas becomes ripe for Democrats statewide, or run for a House seat, like you said.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2013, 02:14:01 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I completely agree. There's nothing wrong with this.  Huffandpuff fails at reading comprehension once again.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2013, 08:28:15 AM »

I completely agree. There's nothing wrong with this.  Huffandpuff fails at reading comprehension once again.

At best, I see Rick Perry telling Wendy Davis that the way she interprets her own life story is incorrect and that his mansplanation is the proper way for her to do so.  You see nothing wrong with that?
Cryptic
Shadowlord88

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2013, 11:10:27 AM »

Trying to twist someone's own life and personal history to your political advantage is wrong, no matter what your views on a particular issue are.  Disgusting behavior by Rick Perry.

badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2013, 03:15:36 PM »

What Perry omits about Davis' personal history is that she was married when she became a teen mother, though they did divorce, and she also had a longer second marriage with the father of her second child. I point this out because she obviously had a support system that would've been nonexistent had the father been MIA in her teenage years. Perry's glibness about her graduating TCU with honors and then Harvard Law is indicative of the privilege that anti-choice ideology is rooted in.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2013, 03:32:09 PM »

Rick Perry has some rumors out there that I'm sure he wouldn't want to be confirmed in anyway, so he shouldn't be throwing rocks in a glass house.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2013, 03:42:31 PM »

Rick Perry has some rumors out there that I'm sure he wouldn't want to be confirmed in anyway, so he shouldn't be throwing rocks in a glass house.

Oh good Lord man, if he was an elderly gay it would have been confirmed long ago.  Roll Eyes
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »

I may be wrong but at some point last night I seem to recall learning she's in a minority-majority district

No, the VAP of both the existing Senate district is 53% Anglo. The VAP of the Senate district that Abbott/Perry may or may not decide to put in place is 59% Anglo. Only a portion of Arlington is in the district, it is mostly Ft. Worth.

Perhaps some conservative Anglos can be convinced on the basis that available abortion will slow the growth of the Hispanic population in the state.

Why? Mr. Romney did better in Texas than Mr. Dukakis did 24 years ago.

I assume you meant Bush... With Lloyd Bentsen on the ticket? If conservative Anglos weren't worried about Hispanics, the party wouldn't be so split on immigration reform. Both sides' positions stem from anxiety: one, fear of their sheer numbers; the other, fear of political loss.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »

Oh good Lord man, if he was an elderly gay it would have been confirmed long ago.  Roll Eyes

Regardless, he shouldn't be personally attacking Davis, it's not professional. Even if he has no secrets, it's still over the line for an elected official to go over the line like this.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »

At best, I see Rick Perry telling Wendy Davis that the way she interprets her own life story is incorrect and that his mansplanation is the proper way for her to do so.  You see nothing wrong with that?

No. This has nothing to do with correctness and mansplanation, whatever that is.  I'm sure it could have been said more articulately, but I do believe that it's unfortunate she didn't take away from her experience a hope in the value and potential of every human life. In any case it's a praise of what she's accomplished and not a personal attack.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »

What a fighter.

Well, if Perry ends up running again, it's possible that he's damaged himself enough the past two years to make the race at least somewhat competitive.  But thinking about it, it's probably better that Davis sit out until Texas becomes ripe for Democrats statewide, or run for a House seat, like you said.

She will be either dead or too old to run by the time Texas is ripe for Democrats.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2013, 04:47:21 PM »

What a fighter.

She will be either dead or too old to run by the time Texas is ripe for Democrats.

There's a possibility that could be 2018 or 2022. In that case she'll be 60 which believe it or not is the political prime age.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies