NC 2016 Gubernatorial Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 11:43:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC 2016 Gubernatorial Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17
Author Topic: NC 2016 Gubernatorial Discussion Thread  (Read 45585 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 12:32:02 PM »

NC's 'Hilariously incompetent' Governor in 15 quotes.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »

PPP has McCrory up to 42/47. A bit higher approval than I'd like, but I guess it could be 'worse'!

The General Assembly is at 20/53, which has been pretty much par for the course. Democrats keep a slight 45/43 generic ballot edge.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2013, 12:08:23 PM »

FWIW, Democracy NC has a study on the changing electorate of NC.

The electorate is getting less white and more Independent.

Since 1993, registration has gone from 60D/32R/8I to 43D/31R/26I. The good news for Democrats is that the share of white voters has dropped to 71% from 81%.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2013, 04:07:47 PM »

Civitas has slighty rosier numbers for McCrory than PPP; they have his approval at 45/45.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2013, 05:04:49 PM »

Looks like it was too early to write off McCrory, obviously the legislature not being in session has helped him let's see what happens when it comes back.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2013, 01:30:56 AM »

He may not go down as a total disaster but he's not getting reelected. NC is quite possibly going for the Democrats presidentially in 2016 and I think that will be reflected in the gubernatorial race, especially if you've got a Roy Cooper running against McCrory.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2013, 02:17:28 PM »

With Hillary as the Democratic nominee for President in 2016, would she help Cooper's odds in the governor's race against McCrory or hurt him ?

It's too early to write off McCrory just yet. Have to see how the next legislative session turns out.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2013, 01:36:05 AM »

How he does in the next year will make or break him. The State congress will take a majority of the blame next year if things don't go well, and McCory will have to step his game up the final two years.

I always liked the guy but his decisions have been out there so far.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Dems win the state house though, or at least the Republicans keep their edge but have to shape themselves to the middle. I can dream anyways!

The only real statewide Democrat I like is Cooper. Have been a fan of his since I was a kid.
illegaloperation

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »

McCrory's approval rating is going up mostly as a result of the general assembly not being in session. There's little doubt that his approval rating will drop again once the general assembly reconvene and push through more far right wing legislations.

The percent of registered Democrat is dropping, but I am guessing that's because of Jessecrats either dying out or leaving the Democratic Party.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »

Lieutenant Gov. Dan Forest is pretending to be relevant, how cute:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/12/25/3485327/dan-forest-looks-to-make-good.html

He says he has a plan to raise teacher's salaries to the highest in the nation; I skimmed the article twice, but couldn't find what it was.  I assume it involves partial or full privatization of the state school system.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2013, 10:55:17 AM »

North Carolina should consider making the Lieutenant Governor's office more influential and powerful like we do here in my home state of Texas.

Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »

North Carolina should consider making the Lieutenant Governor's office more influential and powerful like we do here in my home state of Texas.

NC has always had one of the weakest executive branches in the country, similar to the TX Governor.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2014, 04:03:57 PM »

This goes with the NC demographics study I posted. In two counties, Currituck and Watauga, a majority of voters are Independent. Independents outnumber at least 1 of the major parties in 42 other counties.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2014, 11:34:35 PM »

This isn't really relevant to this race, but here's a good WATN on Gonva Perdue:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'm glad she's still working on education issues. When she did a semester visiting at Harvard, one of my Crimson friends got to meet her; she did an event with the NC students there.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 07, 2014, 10:33:51 AM »

Bill Moyers has a documentary on the upheaval in NC these past few years. If you have about 45 minutes, its pretty good.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2014, 01:03:36 PM »

Bill Moyers has a documentary on the upheaval in NC these past few years. If you have about 45 minutes, its pretty good.

Link doesn't work.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2014, 01:56:29 PM »

Link doesn't work.

Here we go.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2014, 01:33:29 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2014, 01:41:10 PM by StateBoiler »

This goes with the NC demographics study I posted. In two counties, Currituck and Watauga, a majority of voters are Independent. Independents outnumber at least 1 of the major parties in 42 other counties.

Neither are major places in the state. Currituck is up in the isolated northeastern corner and Watauga is Boone in the northwestern corner surrounded by mountains. The three major areas are Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

**** that bitch. She can go rot in hell. For people that are upset McCrory got elected, it's entirely down to people like her and Mike Easley because "General Democrat" has always beaten "General Republican" in North Carolina since the end of Reconstruction.

Perdue is from my hometown of New Bern and it absolutely appalls me she got to governor. She ran on she was good for education when she intentionally killed educational opportunities for kids in her county that if they pursued it they were ensured a middle-class living without even leaving the area. We're not talking a handful of jobs, we're talking more than a thousand. Now there's a shortage of people to work at a major government employer in the area and none of the kids know how to do that work because Perdue actively sought to kill technical education programs. She actually went to my school I was attending when she was a state senator to push this.

This in a part of the state that's not prosperous to begin with and where the people in Raleigh appear to not care about the living situation of anyone east of 95.  

Eastern North Carolina is suffering, and it is because of people like Beverly Perdue.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2014, 02:01:35 PM »

How's that rebrand going?
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »

Thanks, StateBoiler. Its always good to have local perspective on this stuff!

I'll have a more substantive post on that in a while Wink

From the signs so far, though, McCrory isn't likely to make an substantial changes to the general tone/image/style of his tenure.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 11:13:48 PM »

One of the candidates I'll be most excited to support in 2016 is State Sen. Josh Stein, who's running for AG.

In a floor speech during this last session, he ripped the Republicans to shreds over the voter ID bill.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »

PPP's latest is a mixed bag.

McCrory is back down to 37/47 approvals.

The Assembly is at 17/53, which has been more or less constant.

The good news for Republicans is that they're now leading 43-42 on the generic Assembly ballot, despite their 35/51 approvals.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2014, 10:10:12 PM »

So in other words, the General Assembly stays in Republican hands this year
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2014, 10:18:40 PM »

So in other words, the General Assembly stays in Republican hands thisyear decade
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2014, 08:50:45 AM »

If then-State Treasurer Richard Moore (D) had been the Dems nominee for NC Governor in 2008 and not Perdue, would he have done better ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies