Legislative revolution in Israel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 11:48:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Legislative revolution in Israel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Legislative revolution in Israel?  (Read 4043 times)
Hnv1
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2013, 06:30:05 AM »

This new Knesset seat will see several important legislation coming up, amongst the notable ones:
- Civil marriage in Israel. heretofore only religious institution from the different religions could marry individuals with many problems surfacing for atheist, secular people, eastern European immigrants, and none mainline Jews (with minor problems for the Muslim and Christian minorities as well).

- SSM, the civil marriage act will be bundled up with an SSM clause thus trying to force this one through. It's odd we had to wait until 2013 to see this coming to the Knesset with force considering Israel was one of the most progressive states regarding gay rights in the 90s and the general openness of the secular community to LGBT issues.

Those bills will be brought up by Yesh Atid with Meretz, Labour, Livni,  and Hadash expected to support it. Likud will probably split on that, and Israel Beitenu will unshockingly betray their voters and vote  against it. Haredi, Jewish Home, and the Arab parties will all oppose.
I believe this showdown will be interesting.

- Decriminalization of Cannabis user. This bill is being push forward by MK Zandberg (Meretz) and the 'interesting' MK Feiglin (Likud). Finally after years this issue had been bumped to the public attention after Lapid claimed he had not smoked weed only to have people come up and say that not only had they smoked with him but he also hooked them up!
I believe most of the coalition will oppose this and again this will be a very interesting battle to observe.

Parental leave for fathers, freedom of information bills, and more progressive legislation will be coming up as well. The composition of this Knesset with the convenient time might turn this Knesset seat historic.

With the negotiations with the Palestinians push forward we may very well see a new coalition as well by the turn of this seat...
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 06:49:20 AM »

Disgusting.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 08:13:28 AM »

Huh
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 08:25:58 AM »

SSM and Cannabis bills.

Anyone who votes in favour of Cannabis legalisation should be exiled to Syria.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »

I think we all know by this point that you hate gays with a passion unequaled and that you wish that every government in the world would agree with you and lock them up in jails. You really don't need to re-announce your bigotry in every single thread on the topic, we get it by now.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 09:36:18 AM »

SSM and Cannabis bills.

If everyone in Syria was smoking cannabis that country would be a calmer place. I you leave gays to marry in peace, they will give you the bride bouquet. It's always better to make peace and not war, don't you agree? Grin
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 09:47:42 AM »

SSM and Cannabis bills.

Why do you have a D avatar?
Zanas
Zanas46
France

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 10:40:59 AM »

I think he likes the D...
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 10:54:23 AM »

Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 11:24:58 AM »

My somewhat left leaning economic views and strong support for a national healthcare institution, along with many other left leaning views puts me far more in line with Democrats than the GOP, a party that I loathe.
I didn't know that support for drug legalisation and SSM was required for you to support the Democratic Party. Because it isn't.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 12:27:29 PM »

This new Knesset seat will see several important legislation coming up, amongst the notable ones:
- Civil marriage in Israel. heretofore only religious institution from the different religions could marry individuals with many problems surfacing for atheist, secular people, eastern European immigrants, and none mainline Jews (with minor problems for the Muslim and Christian minorities as well).
Not to mention making cross-community marriage almost impossible.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 12:34:41 PM »

My somewhat left leaning economic views and strong support for a national healthcare institution, along with many other left leaning views puts me far more in line with Democrats than the GOP, a party that I loathe.
I didn't know that support for drug legalisation and SSM was required for you to support the Democratic Party. Because it isn't.

It may not be required, but come on, if you have social views like that, you'd be more comfortable with the GOP anyway.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 12:38:48 PM »

Not to mention making cross-community marriage almost impossible.

And many many more problems (like coming with bride-to-be and getting a bearded 80 year old rabbi perv questioning you on your sex life), this is seriously one of the most troubling topics in Israeli society eclipsed only by the occupation\Palestinian conflict.

Well hifly15 I am a bit shocked to hear this from a German, you are the first of which I ever encountered who showed such socially backward position.
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 01:12:00 PM »

SSM and Cannabis bills.

Do you want to be my "forum buddy"?

Anyway, Israel Freedom Country yay.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
« Edited: October 30, 2013, 02:00:53 PM by hifly15 »

Well hifly15 I am a bit shocked to hear this from a German, you are the first of which I ever encountered who showed such socially backward position.

My position is not backward, it's a perfectly normal position to take. There isn't only one side to social issues.
As for never having encountered any "socially backward" German before, you evidently have never been to East Germany!
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 01:58:44 PM »

It may not be required, but come on, if you have social views like that, you'd be more comfortable with the GOP anyway.
No I would not be, because those are virtually the only major issues I strongly agree with the GOP on. There are many more issues across the nation than just those two.
But why don't you say that to your beloved congressman Jim Matheson, who is far to my right. If every Democrat who opposed SSM and/or Cannabis legalisation should support the GOP then Democrats will continue to have a very hard time taking back ground in southern states and generally more socially conservative areas.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 02:04:54 PM »

Good for Israel.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »

Don't be a jackass.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2013, 04:06:08 PM »

No I would not be, because those are virtually the only major issues I strongly agree with the GOP on. There are many more issues across the nation than just those two.
But why don't you say that to your beloved congressman Jim Matheson, who is far to my right. If every Democrat who opposed SSM and/or Cannabis legalisation should support the GOP then Democrats will continue to have a very hard time taking back ground in southern states and generally more socially conservative areas.

I don't support Jim Matheson (for this and different reasons) but that's not the point.

I get that not every Democrat needs to support SSM and marijuana to be a Democrat, but okay, why don't you support them?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2013, 05:45:03 PM »

Support for SSM makes it hard to win the South because the South is very religious.

I don't think anyone cares about marijuana legalization though. It's something that 99% of the people who take more than 5 seconds to think about it are in favor of.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2013, 06:02:31 PM »

Support for SSM makes it hard to win the South because the South is very religious.

I don't think anyone cares about marijuana legalization though. It's something that 99% of the people who take more than 5 seconds to think about it are in favor of.

That is why people are mistaken on the issue... They only take five seconds to think on it. Let us examine the issue. If marijuana is legalised, presumably with sales taxes imposed... Then the people who were previously supplying it aren't simply going to vanish. No, either they will turn to more insidious forms of crime, or, more likely, they will easily undercut the price of legal dope with cheaper, nastier stuff. Marijuana legalisation will not reduce crime. It's just an excuse for people to turn a blind eye to the real problems it causes in society.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »

So you favor it remaining illegal because you think it's a good release valve for criminals? So inherent in your support for prohibition is the acknowledgement that it's basically harmless?
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 06:20:19 PM »

Hifly, why don't you support LGBT rights? I'm legitimately curious.
Hifly
hifly15

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 06:24:53 PM »

Hifly, why don't you support LGBT rights? I'm legitimately curious.

I support LGBT rights and I don't support redefining marriage. End of. I've explained this countless times.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 06:49:30 PM »

People don't support gay marriage because they're religious or homophobic or some combination of the two. When someone says they're opposed, I don't become curios at all.

Why be opposed to marijuana legalization though? THAT's a weird one.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies